Microsoft Windows Update v3/v4/v5

4 minutes ago, WinFX said:

Most likely they are hardcoded. Although I understand that Windows Update v3 you have to install critical updates before anything else.

Well again, Windows 9x updates and NT 4 updates are still on Microsoft servers, but you have to dig for them. If you install that update manually, does it still show that same update?

@xpandvistafan What's the folder where the updates are still stored ? In the .txt file in the WindowsUpdate folder, there are default urls for downloading the updates. This is the URL we have to change to get updates.

And @WinFX, how did you manage to get Windows Update working on NT4 / Windows 95 ?

On 8/15/2022 at 2:21 AM, xpandvistafan said:

Well again, Windows 9x updates and NT 4 updates are still on Microsoft servers, but you have to dig for them. If you install that update manually, does it still show that same update?

Is it real that 9x and nt4 updates are still in M$ servers? and I think @xpandvistafan was right with only 1 M$ url it can be the updates was deleted(i guess?).

9 hours ago, LonghornXP said:

Is it real that 9x and nt4 updates are still in M$ servers? and I think @xpandvistafan was right with only 1 M$ url it can be the updates was deleted(i guess?).

Yes, 9x updates are nt4 updates are still on Microsoft's servers. Example: http://download.microsoft.com/download/win98/Update/3111/W98/EN-US/236926USA8.EXE. Some are also on download.windowsupdate.com, although they are harder to find. http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3-19990518/cabpool/Windows98-KB896358-ENU_c5723e17767d92f28912f0c368525bc.EXE. This is one from the download.windowsupdate domain.

Edited by xpandvistafan

12 hours ago, WULover said:

@xpandvistafan What's the folder where the updates are still stored ? In the .txt file in the WindowsUpdate folder, there are default urls for downloading the updates. This is the URL we have to change to get updates.

And @WinFX, how did you manage to get Windows Update working on NT4 / Windows 95 ?

Install Fiddler Classic on your Windows Server and follow the following steps: https://docs.telerik.com/fiddler/configure-fiddler/tasks/monitorremotemachine.

That way you can monitor Windows 95 and NT 4.0 HTTP traffic.

More news about Windows Update V3, now has returned to Windows 98 first edition, and installs updates correctly. Perhaps our humid dream of working Windows Update in Windows 98 has been fulfilled, but there are still certain bugs:

• Regardless of the language of the operating system, the site is loaded in English
  • Updates are only installed if the operating system are in English
  • Although much of the updates are in download.windowsupdate.com, it only shows the critical updates package
  • The recommended updates are not shown, although in @maile3241 first video on Windows 2000 they appear
  • An annoying JavaScript error appears "document.style.all"

2 hours ago, WULover said:

@WinFX How did you do this ?

Windows 98 and Me crash because your folder is corrupted, only backup Home.htm and Mssupport.htm. Then copy and rename nt5 to w98 or mil. And in engine.htm replace nt5 with mil or w98.

8 hours ago, WinFX said:

More news about Windows Update V3, now has returned to Windows 98 first edition, and installs updates correctly. Perhaps our humid dream of working Windows Update in Windows 98 has been fulfilled, but there are still certain bugs:

• Regardless of the language of the operating system, the site is loaded in English
  • Updates are only installed if the operating system are in English
  • Although much of the updates are in download.windowsupdate.com, it only shows the critical updates package
  • The recommended updates are not shown, although in @maile3241 first video on Windows 2000 they appear
  • An annoying JavaScript error appears "document.style.all"

Hello,

How would one get it working like this? It seems really cool!