Mypal 29.3.0 - JavaScript On and Off Toggle Switch

I have been using NM 28 mostly but decided to download and install the portable version of Mypal 29.3.0 last week to try. So far I like it for Win XP but I would like to be able to turn JavaScript on an off as I need it. I can do this in NM 28 using Toggle JavaScript 1.2.2.010 but can't get it installed in Mypal.

Mypal is set for 'Firefox Compatibility' but the one FF add-ons web page says I need to install Firefox ... NM 28 didn't have this problem which is where I think I got the Toggle JavaScript 1.2.2.010 download years ago for that browser. Is there a switch program that I can use on Mypal to easily turn JS on and off?

Also, I use User Agent Switcher 0.7.3 on NM 28 to easily have some different user agents to use. I can't seem to get that added to Mypal. Is there a UA program add available that I can use on Mypal? I have everything else fixed as I do on NM28 and I like the browser so far as another WinXP browser but a JavaScript and User Agent addition would be nice.

Thanks ... Monroe

1 hour ago, Monroe said:

I can do this in NM 28 using Toggle JavaScript 1.2.2.010 but can't get it installed in Mypal.

Add the following string to about:config   ---   general.useragent.override.addons-legacy.palemoon.org  --  Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:4.8) Goanna/20211001 PaleMoon/29.4.0.2

Then visit this site   ---   https://addons-legacy.palemoon.org/releases/togglejscript/

The "Install Now" button should now be active and should install for you.

1 hour ago, Monroe said:

I use User Agent Switcher 0.7.3 on NM 28 to easily have some different user agents to use. I can't seem to get that added to Mypal.

Use the "Download Anyway" link from this site   ---   https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/

Extract the downloaded user_agent_switcher-0.7.3-fx+sm.xpi to a folder called user_agent_switcher-0.7.3-fx+sm

Open the install.rdf file contained within the user_agent_switcher-0.7.3-fx+sm folder using your preferred text editor

Add the below as a new "em:target"  --
    <em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>25.0</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>29.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>

Save the edited install.rdf

Highlight all of the files and folders in the user_agent_switcher-0.7.3-fx+sm folder and create a user_agent_switcher-0.7.3-fx+sm.zip file from all of the highlighted files and folders

Rename the .zip of the new file to .xpi

Now go to the Add-ons page in Mypal and go to the "gear icon" in the upper right corner by the search input field and drop down the "gear icon" and select "Install Add-on From File..."

Select the new user_agent_switcher-0.7.3-fx+sm.xpi that contains the edited install.rdf

You should now have the User Agent Switcher add-on installed in your Mypal  :yes:

edit - then right-click empty space to the right of the open new tab plus sign and select "Customize"

Scroll down the drag-and-drop the User Agent Switcher icon to the area to the right of the toolbar downloads icon, if you have other add-on icons being displayed you can drag and drop to where you want this icon

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

NotHereToPlayGames  - thank you so much for the assistance. Everything went smooth and I now have the JavaScript toggle button on the upper right side of Mypal. Really happy to have that that button there.

I have not done the User Agent fix yet ... that's next, it may be a little more complicated but I will go one step at a time.

Just wanted to log on and 'thank you' for your helpful reply. You have also helped at the  Un-Official Proxomitron Forum ... much appreciated.

Monroe

As I thought earlier, had trouble with a few UA steps. Had to search for a text editor for XP. First one I downloaded didn't work and the second one did install but seems complicated to me. However, about 15 minutes ago while searching for a User Agent Switcher 0.7.3 download, I finally found a web page that installed the extension into Mypal. The first two pages said I needed to install Firefox but this web page worked with Mypal and installed User Agent Switcher 0.7.3 ... so all is 100%  OK for now with Mypal.

Download User Agent Switcher 0.7.3 for Windows - Uptodown

https://user-agent-switcher.en.uptodown.com/windows/download

Thanks again for the assistance.

monroe

30 minutes ago, Monroe said:

Had to search for a text editor for XP.

I use Notepad++ version 5.8.6 "minimalist".

But a quick search seems to show that most of the "old version" sites are scrubbing their XP versions.

Guess I haven't tried if regular XP's Notepad will open an .rdf file or not, would assume that XP's WordPad would though.

OK ... I will hunt that up and download to have on hand for the 'next time' I need a text editor. I have a correction to make in my last post. I actually knew about that UA switcher download page three years ago or more. I had forgot that I had used that page to add User Agent Switcher 0.7.3 to New Moon 28.

If I had looked in my NM 28 folder earlier today I would have noticed my User Agent notes from several years back ... but it all worked out and maybe that above link will be helpful to someone else.

On 2/21/2022 at 2:15 PM, Monroe said:

Had to search for a text editor for XP.

Besides Notepad++ (which is great), Micro$oft's Wordpad, which comes with WinXP, works just fine. I use it all the time for these install.rdf fixes.

Notepad will work too, but if the install.rdf has only LFs (not CR+LFs), then the lines of text will all be smushed together, making it very challenging to edit! Wordpad handles text files with only LFs much better.

BTW, here's a trick I use: install 7-Zip, set up Wordpad (or Notepad++) as 7-Zip's default text editor, then use the "Open With" dialog to associate .xpi files with 7-Zip. Now you can open them by simply double-clicking, edit the install.rdf by clicking it and pressing F4, and when you close Wordpad and save your changes, 7-Zip will prompt you to update the install.rdf file inside your .xpi file automatically - no more need to extract, zip back up, and rename! Great time-saver.

Hi Mathwiz ... thanks for the additional information. I did find Notepad++ v5.8.6. I have never used a text editor very much, only a few times many years ago trying to do something or some project. I plan to practice with some .rdf files just to be more familiar using a text editor.

I have MS Wordpad but have really never used it much. I will spend some time with it also.

Thanks ...

• 3 months later...
On 2/21/2022 at 5:59 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Add the following string to about:config   ---   general.useragent.override.addons-legacy.palemoon.org  --  Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:4.8) Goanna/20211001 PaleMoon/29.4.0.2

Then visit this site   ---   https://addons-legacy.palemoon.org/releases/togglejscript/

The "Install Now" button should now be active and should install for you.

This link that you posted ... which worked for me at that time, doesn't seem to work anymore. I keep getting the message:

Server not found

Pale Moon can't find the server at addons-legacy.palemoon.org.

I waited a few days, in case it might start to work again but just keep getting the same message. I recently started using Basilisk52-g4.8 Win32 and would like to add 'Toggle JavaScript (Enabled/Disabled) 1.2.2.010' to that browser. I've searched around looking for another link ... also tried the Wayback Machine but nothing to be found.

Do you think PaleMoon maybe killed the link? If you have any suggestions ... ?

I found a solution online to adding the Toggle JavaScript (Enabled-Disabled) 1.2.2.010 Add-on button to a browser. If that Add-on button is on another browser then just copy the .xpi file in the Profile 'extensions folder' to the same folder in the new browser and you have a working On-Off JavaScript Toggle button.

That was simple with a little online help.