ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use

AstroSkipper

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I'm not asking you to change them of course, but I've always wondered why, if you are German, that you put the dates in your posts in American format, not European format?
:dubbio:
The actual file names, I'm pleased to say, are the 'correct' way around!
:D

Absolutely ! Weird to see smth like this "25th" month. I think AstroSkipper wrote that Germany've been americanised against his will. Hence the result.

Great Britain, to the rescue !

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

I'm not asking you to change them of course, but I've always wondered why, if you are German, that you put the dates in your posts in American format, not European format?
:dubbio:
The actual file names, I'm pleased to say, are the 'correct' way around!
:D

Hello @Dave-H! How are you? Hope all is fine with you! To answer your question you're absolutely right! When I started this thread I couldn't really decide which date format to use in general. To keep it now as consistent as possible, I have decided to leave it as I started. :P Actually, I prefer the format dd-mm-yyyyy as it is usual in Germany. :yes: Maybe, I'll revert it but then I'd have to edit all posts to keep consistency. :dubbio:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I can't really decide which date format to use in general. To keep it as consistent as possible, I have decided to leave it as I started. :P Actually, I prefer the format dd-mm-yyyyy. :yes:

British, of course ! Brits conqured the world, there's nothing else to add. Not to mention it's convenient. The only thing I don't 100% like is their wall plugs. Too brutal, too big.

I mean, don't get me wrong, there's definitely something good about them (the electric wall plugs), manly, mature. Just a bit too much.

LOL! We used to have two types of 'round pin' plugs when I was a kid, 5A ones for lower rated stuff, and 15A ones for heavy stuff, the latter were really big and heavy!
I think the idea behind the present 1960s replacement 'square pin' plugs (the pins aren't actually square of course, but that's what they were called!) was that they were powerful enough but light enough not to need two different types. They were fine for the heavy stuff like electric fires, but not too big and heavy to use for the lighter stuff like table lamps.
Whether they got the compromise right is a matter of opinion of course!
The other plus point was that we got rid of reversible two pin plugs and sockets, which could be dangerous with the 'live chassis' TVs and radios which were still around at the time!
I don't mind the European standard ones, but the American standard 'low current' plugs and sockets always seem really flimsy to me!
Anyway, this is completely off-topic!
:lol:

17 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I think AstroSkipper wrote that Germany've been americanised against his will. Hence the result.

You're right! That comes out against my will with this constant Americanisation we are all subjected to. I call that subtle influence. :P

17 hours ago, D.Draker said:

British, of course !

Fortunately, the British and German date formats match. ssuper5sur5.gif Therefore, I would not have to make a decision. The only remaining obstacle would be the effort required to change all the posts concerned. smilie-denk-24.gif

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, artenox said:

I read the first post of this thread

Ah, it was you! :buehehe: Ok, joking aside! Thank you for reading my article! Hope you could enhance your knowledge and you enjoyed it.

I don't understand why it's so complicated?

What is so complicated? Actually, there is nothing complicated. To be honest, it is quite simple. In the first post, you will find everything that has to do with TLS 1.2 and TLS 1.3 proxies. Also a lot of background information. It is a complete article containing all the necessary information about these proxies and the programs provided here. Perhaps, this has overwhelmed you a little. You don't necessarily have to read everything, but can also concentrate on what information is needed. Writing such an article was a lot of hard work, by the way, not to mention the programming work.

Proxomitron Reborn works, decrypts-encrypts-filters HTTPS. Yes, only TLS 1.2, but otherwise no problem.

Proxomitron is a local HTTP web-filtering proxy. In contrast, the TLS 1.2 and TLS 1.3 proxies ProxHTTPSProxy, HTTPSProxy, ProxyMII and my program packages ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu provide modern nag-free HTTPS connections for an HTTP/HTTPS proxy such as Proxomitron. Therefore, they cannot be compared with each other. They are different and do diferent jobs. Therefore, your statement is kind of pointless. If you have any questions referring to my article, and this seems to be the case, do not hesitate to ask here!

Kind regards, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Proxomitron Reborn on my link above supports https. It has openssl 1.0.1 libraries built in.
More precisely, you need to copy the openssl libraries, generate a certificate (from the Proxomitron interface) and install it on the system and browsers. Someone on the prxbx.com forum modified the program to support https. openssl 1.0.1, so TLS 1.2 max. But there is support for upstream HTTP proxy and connection logs, filtering.

@AstroSkipper I appreciate your application and your efforts. Alternatives are always a good thing.

Edited by artenox

17 minutes ago, artenox said:

@AstroSkipper I appreciate your application and your efforts. Alternatives are always a good thing.

Thanks for your kind words! Alternatives are always a good thing, of course. Unfortunately, the embedded TLS proxy in your Proxomitron Reborn is totally outdated. This is a quote from my article:

On 2/20/2022 at 4:09 PM, AstroSkipper said:

ProxyMII, dated from 2022-07-17, is now based on OpenSSL 3.0.5 and Cryptography 3.4.8. It provides all TLS protocols from TLS 1.0 up to TLS 1.3 and its corresponding ciphers. ssupercool2.gif

48 minutes ago, artenox said:

Proxomitron Reborn on my link above supports https. It has openssl 1.0.1 libraries built in.

And, my program package ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu TLS 1.3 3V3  is based on ProxyMII and hence much more recent. This thread is about the pure TLS proxies That said, Proxomitron Reborn is not the topic here. There is a separate thread for that in MFSN. :)

In fact, there are many HTTPS proxy intermediaries (MITM proxies). And they all work on XP (at least the older versions). But the problem is that they use old system TLS libraries and are useless with modern sites on XP. For example Fiddler, HandyCache, Charles.
Charles (it's in Java) uses its own TLS libraries, but it won't help old clients (new ones, yes).
Basically, these applications are usable for monitoring HTTPS connections. HandyCache (Russian application) can cache and save HTTPS sites.
Proxomitron Reborn also has a HTTPS log, but not very practical.
They are all MITM proxies. I use Proxomitron Reborn (with Wine) and Charles on Linux.
HandyCache is a partially paid application. It can decrypt HTTPS traffic for free for the first 30 minutes after each launch. You can no longer buy it, but the key exists.
It is possible to create a chain of these applications. For example, I run Charles after Proxomitron.

Edited by artenox

28 minutes ago, artenox said:

For example Fiddler, HandyCache, Charles.
Charles (it's in Java) uses its own TLS libraries, but it won't help old clients (new ones, yes).
Basically, these applications are usable for monitoring HTTPS connections. HandyCache (Russian application) can cache and save HTTPS sites.
Proxomitron Reborn also has a HTTPS log, but not very practical.
They are all MITM proxies. I use Proxomitron Reborn (with Wine) and Charles on Linux.
HandyCache is a partially paid application. It can decrypt HTTPS traffic for free for the first 30 minutes after each launch. You can no longer buy it, but the key exists.
It is possible to create a chain of these applications. For example, I run Charles after Proxomitron.

offtopic.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2022 at 12:49 PM, AstroSkipper said:

The commands to show or change the system's proxy status will not work, though.

I found this small tool and was planning to just dump it here in case anyone needs it... 

I didn't check it in XP, but since the source is provided, i guess it could be recompiled easily. 

P.S. make sure to check the other projects on that site too.

Edited by RainyShadow

Update notification! update.gif

The Root Certificates have been updated and are now from 29-11-2022. Here is a screenshot:

Root-Certificates-29-11-2022.png

Therefore, my self-created, offline Root Certificate Updaters in the section 11.2.4. Downloads related to Root Certificate Updates (in the first post of this thread) will also be updated as soon as possible. ssuper5sur5.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Update notification! update.gif

Both versions of my Root Certificate and Revoked Certificate Updater have been updated and are now of 11/29/2022. You can find them in the section 11.2.4. Downloads related to Root Certificate Updates in the first post of this thread.

Cheers, AstroSkipper smilie-smoke-054.gif