ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use

AstroSkipper

12 minutes ago, mina7601 said:
1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

@mina7601! Please, do some further tests to ensure that there are no other bugs! Click all possible combinations! A fixed version will be uploaded, too! :yes:

Well, your fixed "Configure PopMenu.exe" gives the error "Error: Too many command-line parameters" during configuration. Your original "Configure PopMenu.exe" (inside ProxHTTPSProxy PopMenu TLS 1.3 3V3 archive itself) does not give the error.

Very good! goodjob.gif Now, you know what I mean. Testing everything is the only way to find such bugs. Frankly, I wanted to fix the space bug and overdid it a little bit. Anyway, you're really great! ssupercool2.gifThanks a lot for your find and confirmation! I already cleaned the code, and a fixed version will be uploaded, too! :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

30 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Very good! goodjob.gif Now, you know what I mean. Testing everything is the only way to find such bugs. Frankly, I wanted to fix the space bug and overdid it a little bit. Anyway, you're really great! ssupercool2.gifThanks a lot for your find and confirmation! I already cleaned the code, and a fixed version will be uploaded, too! :yes:

You're welcome!
Well, when I said all features work, I was actually referring to every item in PopMenu, but I was unaware of that system-wide use thing. Sorry for that.

1 hour ago, mina7601 said:

You're welcome!
Well, when I said all features work, I was actually referring to every item in PopMenu, but I was unaware of that system-wide use thing. Sorry for that.

No problem! At first, thank you very much for deeper testing! ssupercool2.gif That's what I need! :yes: Did you never use this feature in the past? Anyway, that kind of testing you are doing now is what ensures to find misbehaviour or bugs of programs. Not believing or assuming but checking! ssuper5sur5.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper captain.gif

7 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

No problem! At first, thank you very much for deeper testing! ssupercool2.gif That's what I need! :yes: Did you never use this feature in the past? Anyway, that kind of testing you are doing now is what ensures to find misbehaviour or bugs of programs. Not believing or assuming but checking! ssuper5sur5.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper captain.gif

You're welcome. And to answer your question, yes, I never used this feature to be honest, because I am not sure what it does actually.

17 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

You're welcome. And to answer your question, yes, I never used this feature to be honest, because I am not sure what it does actually.

I described this feature in my article, the first post in this thread. It enables the proxy system-wide in Windows XP. For example, the Windows Update service has to look for updates on its servers. When this feature is enabled, then the connections will go through this proxy. But, if the proxy is running only locally, then they won't. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

I've now done another clean install.

I confirm @mina7601's findings.

I never tried enabling the proxy system-wide without the proxy already running, as I assumed that wouldn't work anyway.
It should run the proxy if isn't running of course!

The setup doesn't seem to add the path to the files to the PATH environment variable.
I assume it's not needed. I'm not sure why I had an entry for it there, I guess I added it manually for some reason.
I doubt that @heinoganda's version of the proxy needed it, but I'm not certain of that.
:dubbio:

13 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

It should run the proxy if isn't running of course!

Correct!

The setup doesn't seem to add the path to the files to the PATH environment variable.
I assume it's not needed.

Correct!

I doubt that @heinoganda's version of the proxy needed it, but I'm not certain of that.

Correct! My version is portable except the settings of Min2Tray, the autostart settings of PopMenu and Min2Tray, and ProxHTTPSProxy's certificate. From now on, you do not need @heinoganda's version. :no: @cmalex's proxy supports all TLS protocols from 1.0 to 1.3.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

My dear beta testers, @Dave-H, @mina7601, @NotHereToPlayGames!

Two programs had to be fixed, the program Configure PopMenu.exe by cleaning its code in regards to the space bug, and the program EnableProxSysWide.exe which incorrectly calls the old start program ProxHTTPSProxy_PSwitch.exe instead of StartProxy.exe. I'll send you the download link of the fixed versions via PM as usual in the next minutes. link.gif Please, check if they work properly! :)

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

I've now noticed something else.
I rebooted the machine, and PopMenu did not run.
Looking in the registry 'run' key, its entry has vanished!
The one for Min2Tray is still there.
I guess this must have happened as a result of one of the errors.

20 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I've now noticed something else.
I rebooted the machine, and PopMenu did not run.
Looking in the registry 'run' key, its entry has vanished!
The one for Min2Tray is still there.
I guess this must have happened as a result of one of the errors.

Which version of Configure PopMenu.exe did you use? The version 3.1.0.0 is faulty. snegatif.gif Use the new one in version 3.2.0.0! :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

OK, I'll substitute it.
Another complete install?

What do you mean with a complete install? :dubbio: Most of my package is portable. Anyway, delete the keys of PopMenu and Min2Tray in the key RUN and  execute Configure PopMenu.exe! Check if the two autostart entries will have been added again when my configuration utility has finished its work! :) And, check if all pathes are correct in PopMenu!

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Yes, that all works fine.
EnableProxSysWide.exe v3.0.0.0 is now starting the proxy if it's not running.
:yes:
I know it's not really an installation, being pedantic, because there's no packaged installer, but what else do you call it?
A deployment?
People do talk about 'portable installations'.
:)

21 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I know it's not really an installation, being pedantic, because there's no packaged installer, but what else do you call it?
A deployment?
People do talk about 'portable installations'.
:)

I would call it an almost portable program package. It's not one program but a package of different programs. :) A portable installation is not bad, either. :yes: 

21 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Yes, that all works fine.
EnableProxSysWide.exe v3.0.0.0 is now starting the proxy if it's not running.
:yes:

Thanks a lot for your efforts and your confirmation! Very good! ssuper5sur5.gif smilie-t-006.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper