ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use

AstroSkipper

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @mina7601! Thank you for the request! Of course, I don't want you to wait very long. To be honest, I haven't thought about the time frame yet. When the beta test is over, the final version of ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu TLS 1.3 3V3 will come first. And then I will find out how much interest there really is in my program package. Frankly, it was a lot of time I spent to do all that, and I hope the users will like it. There still exists a problem with the feedback, unfortunately. Looking back to my last release there was nearly none. I don't really know how the members and users here act or think. :dubbio: Sometimes, very strange! :crazy: But I'll keep you informed, of course! And I will offer another, different release of @cmalex's ProxyMII when ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu TLS 1.3 3V3 is out. :yes: And currently, I am working on a future release of ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu whenever I have a bit of time. temps1.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper ordi1fun.gif

Understood.

Hello again, my dear beta testers, @Dave-H, @mina7601, @NotHereToPlayGames!
If you wonder why @George King still hasn't reported any results of his testing, he can't participate on this beta test any longer due to private reasons. Greetings at this point! :hello:
Furthermore, I've checked the code of all my programs and found a further bug. :o And what do you think it could be? Yep, another bug in regards to spaces in the install path of ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu! No one of you reported it! But, frankly, it's a bug you only observe if you have spaces in your path and check deeply what my configuration utility "Configure PopMenu" is doing. If you wonder why I didn't find this bug earlier, it's very simple. I don't have any spaces in the install path of ProxHTTPSProxy. jexplique.gif The next time I'll test everything with spaces in programs' pathes, too. Anyway, from now on I will call this issue "space bug". And I really hate it! :realmad: fluch.gif
As usual, you'll get the link of the fixed version via PM, as soon as possible. Fortunately, I found only one further space bug, though. :yes:

Cheers, AstroSkipper captain.gif

6 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Anyway, the main feature of the new releases is to have from now on a system-wide support of all TLS protocols, and here one must especially mention, TLS 1.3 :w00t:, which we would probably never have had if it hadn't been for @cmalex. And for that I will always be grateful to him!

bravo.gif heureux11.gif smilie-schild-025.gifaccord8.gif

I would be especially happy if he also received more recognition for his great programming work than he has so far, in the form of posts, liking and up-voting. @cmalex is the mystery man in the background! sninja.gif And, don't be annoyed why he doesn't respond! It doesn't matter, and it's none of our business! :no: Just to appreciate and honour his work, without any reservations, that's what I mean. :yes:

And, from now on TLS 1.3 support in the old, abandoned Internet Explorer 8! Unbelievable! nonono.gif ssupercool2.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Oh yes, I will never forget that user, his volunteering here was impressive.

8 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

The next time I'll test everything with spaces in programs' pathes, too. Anyway, from now on I will call this issue "space bug". And I really hate it! :realmad: fluch.gif

Good to hear that. And so do I.

I don't know what the symptoms of the bug in Configure Popmenu.exe were, I didn't notice anything, but I've replaced it with the new one.
I think it's the right thing to test with spaces in paths in future, as I would have thought that the vast majority of people would have spaces in their paths unless they were specifically told to avoid them, if only because of the 'Program Files' folder in English versions of Windows, which is where most people would want the files.
:yes:

40 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

I don't know what the symptoms of the bug in Configure Popmenu.exe were, I didn't notice anything, but I've replaced it with the new one.
I think it's the right thing to test with spaces in paths in future, as I would have thought that the vast majority of people would have spaces in their paths unless they were specifically told to avoid them, if only because of the 'Program Files' folder in English versions of Windows, which is where most people would want the files.

In German editions of Windows XP, the program folder is named "Programme", and my self-created folder for portable programs only, "Portable". Therefore, no spaces here! :no: And I try to avoid them! :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

38 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

In German editions of Windows XP, the program folder is named "Programme", and my self-created folder for portable programs only, "Portable". Therefore, no spaces here! :no: And I try to avoid them! :yes:

In various XP / 2003 languages are Documents and Settings / Program Files / Administrator / Start Menu translated. It's stupid, but you can safely use environment variables to overcome this issue :) And of course all coded paths must support spaces to avoid future problems :)

52 minutes ago, maile3241 said:

@cmalex It's nice that there is finally Tls 1.3 support for Xp, but it would be good if it were also available for Win 2000. The proxy would only have to generate a sha 1 certificate. Is there a possibility to implement this?

Have you already tested the proxy in Windows 2000? It doesn't work, probably due to problems with signing certificates, isn't it? :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

To notice the bug some conditions have to be fulfilled:

• You must have spaces in your program's path.
  • No autostart entries referring to the program PopMenu must exist in your registry in the key Run! Or anywhere else!
  • Now, execute the old version of my configuration utility "Configure PopMenu"!

All should be fine except the autostart of the program PopMenu. No entry should have been added to the key Run, and therefore, Popmenu won't start at next boot, most probably. I didn't test it, I looked only at the code of my configuration utility. :yes: Anyway, the new version should work properly. :) BTW, if you all had folliwed precisely my instructions, the bug would have been noticed presumably. Of course, only if spaces were in your program's path! :)

On 7/31/2022 at 1:48 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Here are some hints before starting to install my program package: ordi1fun.gif

• Delete all autostart entries referring to the programs PopMenu and ProxHTTPSProxy!

jexplique.gif

Greetings, AstroSkipper :hello:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

Have you already tested the proxy in Windows 2000? It doesn't work, probably due to problems with signing certificates, isn't it? :yes:

It shows that it is damaged but that is because W2k does not support sha 2.

@Dave-H! Are you interested in an alternative way to hide the Min2Tray systray icon? :dubbio:

It would certainly be good to hide it without using the Windows native method, which leaves an extender icon in the tray instead.
Being able to click on it to toggle the proxy window on and off would be even better!

And to reorder your systray icons? I know you already use a tool from a MSFN user, though. :yes:

That would be good too.
I used to use 'System Tray Factory', which did a pretty good job, although it's not free.
SysTrayUtil, the solution I use now, is better IMO, except that setting it up is fiddly, involving registry editing to set it up, and if you want to make any changes, which would make it very user-unfriendly for many people.
The holy grail of course is reproducing the system from later versions of Windows, where you can just drag the icons around and their positions are remembered.
I suspect this may not be possible with XP though, or someone would have already done it!
:)

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

To notice the bug some conditions have to be fulfilled:

• You must have spaces in your program's path.
  • No autostart entries referring to the program PopMenu must exist in your registry in the key Run! Or anywhere else!
  • Now, execute the old version of my configuration utility "Configure PopMenu"!

All should be fine except the autostart of the program PopMenu. No entry has been added to the key Run, and therefore, Popmenu won't start at next boot, most probably. I didn't test it, I looked only at the code of my configuration utility. :yes: Anyway, the new version should work properly. :)

Greetings, AstroSkipper :hello:

It must have looked OK to me because there was already a run key for PopMenu in my registry from the last version.
That just shows that you should clear everything from previous versions before you try a new one!