ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use

AstroSkipper

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

One very important aspect of "v1.5_Rev3e" is that it contains internally "openssl-1.1.1d" (ported to XP by @Mathwiz , IIANM, and then compiled with XP_EoS Py3.4 by @heinoganda), which bestows this "HTTPS Proxy" TLSv1.3 (final) capabilities (not present in openssl 1.0.2x/1.1.0x); while properly configured web servers do still offer fallback to TLSv1.2, some secure URLs are TLSv1.3 exclusive; so, if access to these must be realised via the IE engine (e.g. an application dependent on system crypto libs/schannel), "Rev3e" is the way to go! ... 

Thank you very much for this information! Very interesting! I did a short Google search and can confirm that openssl-1.1.1 includes support for TLSv1.3. Here is a link to openssl.org: https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2017/05/04/tlsv1.3/  :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper

Can any of you confirm that @heinoganda's cacert_Updater.exe in his ProxHTTPSProxy packages doesn't work anymore? Yesterday I tried to update cacert.pem and I got the message "Roots Certificates could not be updated!". I'm interested to know if I'm the only one having this problem or if it's the same for you. And if so, then I would be inclined to fix the problem. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper

17 minutes ago, mina7601 said:

Hello :)

No, you're not the only one having this problem. I also have this problem as well.

Thanks for your quick reply!  In this case bad news are good news for me. I already thought something was wrong with my system. On the other hand I would have been a little surprised too. Usually my system works like a charme. But as advertised I will try to fix that if I can, and I do hope so. :yes:

19 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Hello :)

No, you're not the only one having this problem. I also have this problem as well.

18 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

But as advertised I will try to fix that if I can, and I do hope so. :yes:

Hi to all and especially to @mina7601
As I posted above and confirmed by @mina7601, the cacert Updater of @heinoganda's ProxHTTPSProxy packages doesn't work anymore. Applying the file cacert_Updater.exe leads to the message "Roots Certificates could not be updated!". I have analyzed this problem and could fix the file cacert_Updater.exe. Now it works in the way as it should be. :thumbup Here is a download-link of the new version of cacert Updater in form of a separate archive: 
https://www.mediafire.com/file/uf20arawpbuiz2y/cacert_Updater_Fixed.7z/file

Kind regards, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

Much obliged :thumbup ; for transparency purposes, though, perhaps you'd be kind enough to let us know of the reason(s) the original binary broke and what measures you actually took to restore intended functionality... :P
Just sayin', thanks all the same! :wub:

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Much obliged :thumbup ; for transparency purposes, though, perhaps you'd be kind enough to let us know of the reason(s) the original binary broke and what measures you actually took to restore intended functionality... :P
Just sayin', thanks all the same!

@heinoganda's cacert_Updater.exe contains three files: CERTUPD.bat (batch file containing several commands), HTTPDL.exe (downloader) and URLLINK (file containing download-link of cacert.pem). After examination I found out that the downloader HTTPDL.exe doesn't do its job anymore i.e. the downloader couldn't connect to the server targeted in download-link of URLLINK. Therefore I have updated HTTPDL.exe to new version which is working properly again in Windows XP. Is that detailed enough? :dubbio: Anyway, thanks for your interest! :D

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hi to all and especially to @mina7601
As I posted above and confirmed by @mina7601, the cacert Updater of @heinoganda's ProxHTTPSProxy packages doesn't work anymore. Applying the file cacert_Updater.exe leads to the message "Roots Certificates could not be updated!". I have analyzed this problem and could fix the file cacert_Updater.exe. Now it works in the way as it should be. :thumbup Here is a download-link of the new version of cacert Updater in form of a separate archive: 
https://www.mediafire.com/file/uf20arawpbuiz2y/cacert_Updater_Fixed.7z/file

Kind regards, AstroSkipper :)

Thank you so much! Much appreciated!

On 3/10/2022 at 8:57 PM, VistaLover said:

... "Rev3e" is the way to go! ...

Hi @VistaLover, we know by now that openSSL 1.1.1d supports TLS 1.3. So what do you think? What would it take to activate the already present capabilities of openSSL 1.1.1d in @heinoganda's ProxHTTPSProxy REV3e relating to TLS 1.3 and its ciphers to get them working in Windows XP? First of all, it is rather a theoretical question than a practical one.

I have to say that it would be great to get TLS 1.3 support in HTTPSProxy.
I guess the necessary data can't be easily transferred across from ProxHTTPSProxyMII Rev3e though.
If if were possible to get HTTPSProxy's launcher working with ProxHTTPSProxyMII that would do the job, but I guess it's not possible as they are too integrated.
:(

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

I have to say that it would be great to get TLS 1.3 support in HTTPSProxy.
I guess the necessary data can't be easily transferred across from ProxHTTPSProxyMII Rev3e though.

That's right. The packages of HTTPSProxy and ProxHTTPSProxy are totally different. In HTTPSProxy there is one main executable, whereas in ProxHTTPSProxy a small executable is calling up the actual main executable in subfolder application. Last version of HTTPSProxy bases on pyopenSSL 18.0.0, a rather thin wrapper around (a subset of) the OpenSSL library, whereas ProxHTTPSProxy REV3e bases on pyopenSSL 19.1.0, a more recent one. Current version of pyopenSSL is 22.0.0. I couldn't find any information about HTTPSProxy's openSSL version, but I think it is a bit older than 1.1.1d, probably 1.1.0. Therefore only ProxHTTPSProxy REV3e has TLS 1.3 capabilities. I'm curious what @VistaLover has to say about it.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

If if were possible to get HTTPSProxy's launcher working with ProxHTTPSProxyMII that would do the job, but I guess it's not possible as they are too integrated.

Unfortunately HTTPSProxy's launcher can't be used in ProxHTTPSProxy as it is. The launcher.exe would have to be decompiled, modified and recompiled to get it fully working or a new launcher has to be created. But you know I do things my way which means that I have already created a systray menu for better control and more comfortable use of ProxHTTPSProxy, but the launcher of HTTPSPoxy is simply outstanding and a class of its own.

Edited by AstroSkipper