Windows 7 support long gone , but still on the current OS list !?

D.Draker

Hello , I'm just curious , why Windows 7 still in the current OS list ? While Vista in the "older" !

Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020 (more than two years ago!)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-support-ended-on-january-14-2020-b75d4580-2cc7-895a-2c9c-1466d9a53962

In the meantime, Windows Server 2008 (based on Vista) still gets extended rollup packs and they work for ordinary Vista too ! (that's of course if you have a licence) 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/february-8-2022-kb5010384-monthly-rollup-44eacd6e-d5bb-43d3-9ac1-0757e588c3a6

Seems to be unfair , don't you think ? I'm pretty sure the ESU licence could be bought for Server R2 too ,

but that places the two OS in the exact same spot ! Be it "older" or "current" .

EDIT:

I think it's the question for the supervisors. I'm curious what @Tripredacus thinks about it .

Edited by D.Draker

• D.Draker changed the title to Windows 7 support long gone , but still on the current OS list !?

1 hour ago, Tripredacus said:

The forum is not bound by what is and isn't supported. Windows 7 is a top-level sub-forum due to the activity. It has come up in private discussion to move it, the question was then: why? There is no harm to keep it the way it is.

also windows 7 usage is huge in comparison to vista/server 2008. Windows 7 still receives newest chrome updates, steam. Got support from microsoft by backporting d3d12 libraries etc.. 

Yeah, Windows 7 is still considered a major operating system right now. It may not be supported, but there are still a lot of computers out there on 7. Not as much as 10/11 in the personal world, but commonly businesses and Embedded devices especially.

Doesn't top how many Linux powered devices there are though. Linux-based things rule every market except the personal desktop space.

3 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

Yeah, Windows 7 is still considered a major operating system right now. It may not be supported, but there are still a lot of computers out there on 7. Not as much as 10/11 in the personal world, but commonly businesses and Embedded devices especially.

Doesn't top how many Linux powered devices there are though. Linux-based things rule every market except the personal desktop space.

Still doesn't answer my question . Judging by this logic (amount of users and PCs), Win 8 , 11 and perhaps 10 too should be moved to the "others" section . Yet they are on TOP.

4 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

The forum is not bound by what is and isn't supported. Windows 7 is a top-level sub-forum due to the activity. It has come up in private discussion to move it, the question was then: why? There is no harm to keep it the way it is.

I see , thanks . And what about Windows 8 then ? Two and a half users , yet in the Top charts.

Windows 8 market share is at 0.18% (way below Vista) .

3 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

it is not windows update. It is called d3d12on7 and can be implemented by any game developer

You wrote "support from microsoft" , implying it's official , now you're saying could be "implemented by any game developer". So there's nothing then , just like I thought.

In terms of DirectX level , Vista = Windows 7 (Both DirectX 11).

8.1 exists. it has around 4% of marketshare

In 2013 ? Maybe . But now it's

Win8.1: 2.94 %

Win11: 2.43 %

WinXP: 0.49 % ...

https://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide/

7 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

You wrote "support from microsoft" , implying it's official , now you're saying could be "implemented by any game developer". So there's nothing then , just like I thought.

In terms of DirectX level , Vista = Windows 7 (Both DirectX 11).

you should do your research before saying that. IT IS official. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/samples/microsoft/directx-graphics-samples/d3d12-12-on-7-sample-win32/

Well , I asked you . I have no reason not to trust you . Yet what you say is NOT implemented yet . I mean , there is nothing for us , ordinary customers . (no update packages , no such "games" , nothing). Just articles , empty promises and rumours. Don't you remember the twenty-years-long story about DX10/11 being ported to XP ? LOL !

2 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Well , I asked you . I have no reason not to trust you . Yet what you say is NOT implemented yet . I mean , there is nothing for us , ordinary customers . (no update packages , no such "games" , nothing). Just articles , empty promises and rumours. Don't you remember the twenty-years-long story about DX10/11 being ported to XP ? LOL !

cyberpunk implemented it, red dead redemption 2 etc.. it is being utilized