Firefox tab crashing on twitter only, how to troubleshoot?

Tripredacus

An interesting (or annoying) thing started happening on 12/20/2021 (as best I can tell) is that if I try to visit any page on twitter (an individual tweet or just twitter.com) then the tab will crash. Some twitter embeds (that aren't being blocked by extensions, such as those that appear on substack or some other pages) do appear inline on non-twitter sites and cause no problem, but i never tried to click on any of those embeds.

There doesn't seem to be any way I can determine as to why the crash is happening. Having inspector open then trying to go to twitter doesn't show anything useful unless I am not looking at the right things.

Now this is Firefox Quantum 69.0.3 (64-bit) and these extensions:
- DDGo Privacy Essentials
- HTTPS Everywhere
- NoScript
- uBlock Origin
- Web Developer

If I go into about:crashes, I can see a list of the crashes. All are listed under Unsubmitted. If I try to submit one it says failed. I know I can find these actual crash files, is there a program that I can open the dump files in or are they usable in windbg?

It is not critical to fix this issue with twitter, as I can use another browser to look at those links. I just don't like having an error occuring and not knowing why it is happening.

I did other testing, when using the Private Browsing window I can go to twitter without a problem, and it uses the same extensions I listed above except for HTTPS Everywhere.  Regular browsing with HTTPS Everywhere disabled doesn't stop it from crashing so it doesn't seem like it is caused by that.

Do you have serviceworker.txt file in your browser's profile folder (open the folder from about:support page)? If so, maybe try changing dom.serviceWorkers.enabled to false on about:config page, closing the browser then renaming serviceworker.txt to something else and restarting the browser to see if it's connected to service workers.

Edited by UCyborg

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Do you have serviceworker.txt file in your browser's profile folder (open the folder from about:support page)? If so, maybe try changing dom.serviceWorkers.enabled to false on about:config page, closing the browser then renaming serviceworker.txt to something else and restarting the browser to see if it's connected to service workers.

Doing that, and now I can get to Twitter without it crashing. I did see there was some twitter URLs in there, you think there was just something that was cached that was causing the issue, or that there is still something left that must be done?

No idea, you can try re-enabling that pref and let serviceworker.txt be regenerated. If it remains OK, then that probably confirms the theory something wasn't cached right. I think there's a high probability something didn't actually work right in that Firefox version and was only fixed with newer version, otherwise you'd probably hear about the issue elsewhere.

I guessed that it could be connected to service workers as I encountered the problem in Pale Moon (another browser descending from Firefox code base, where service workers are disabled by default) with a service worker originating from MSFN, it prevented navigating the page with back / forwards buttons.