Compiling newer WineD3D for 98SE and/or XP...?

Bruninho

12 minutes ago, AndrewNi said:

I'm using -vga std (the default) and vbemp NT version k.

The performance is no mystery on my PC - I can't use any accel options because I use VirtualBox, which conflicts with them. It's all software CPU emulation. The textures are what I'm more interested in working out. On Bugs, the textures are fine on my old ATI graphics card, and in Liew's video playing GP3, he's using a Windows machine with an AMD Vegas GPU.

Is it possible that the Intel GPU and Apple M1 GPU cores are missing an OpenGL extension that AMD/ATI GPUs have? Or maybe the wrapper maps them in a strange way? I admit to being very confused as to how backwards compatibility works in OpenGL.

This is all fun and curiosity for me, so if Parallels works, then great! Case closed, as you say.

No, because he demoed the same games with a M1 MacBook Air (same model as mine). If you look at the issue I posted on his github months ago, he shares a screenshot of GP3 running on M1. The problem is definitely in the wrapper.

Parallels works, but its not what I want. Windows 11 is not Windows 98/XP.

I see that he updated the code. I tried to compile a new build with his new code and while it does run and boot the system, even after I had updated the glide wrappers, and also OpenGlide on my host machine, any glide game I fire up just crashes QEMU. Damnit.

The problem was his updated OpenGlide. As soon as I rolled back to previous OG version, it started to work again just like before. No improvements.

Edited by Bruninho

• 2 months later...

Well, since he has made changes to his latest code, things are broken. And with the zero perspective of running a WineD3D game, I just gave up on his "project" since no support at all comes from him, and resorted to a Parallels Desktop ARM64 Windows 11 VM to run the games. It's not classic windows, but games work fine. Meanwhile, I try to improve the other emulators such as 86box and DOSBox-X. They have a community support afterall. I solved my problem.

Hope he enjoys his silly private, confusing and badly documented project charging a hefty donation for ppl unaware that they can do better in a VMware VM with intel PCs and without much hassle. If he wasn't a total douchebag, the project could've been much better with a community support and for everyone in any platform. Instead he choses to break the GPL v2 license of WineD3D and apparently also the BOCHS V9x driver gplv2 license.

I think in a few days the mods can close the thread, since I see no reason to give support to that "solution".

Edited by Bruninho

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2022 at 7:47 AM, MrMateczko said:

No, just checked now.

TBH I don't even care about kjliew's "work" anymore. He continues on violating the GPLv2 license of WineD3D, doesn't make the code he modified for these libraries available, but pardon my sincerity, for all I care, he can go (censored) himself.

I'm doing just fine with Parallels Desktop and Windows 11 aarch64, all games run there, the Windows translation layer isn't as bad as people talk about. And I am also doing fine with UTM and 86Box for macOS. And 86Box is one hell of a great emulator, much better than the abandoned PCem was.

VMware Fusion Tech Preview for Apple Silicon Macs already got 3D going on linux and is planned to make it run on Windows aarch64 soon as well. Virtualbox has a very early beta of its virtualization for Apple Silicon started.

Good times are coming with these news. No one will need his clunky and badly designed "qemu-3dfx" solution. I think that unless anyone still wants to waste time and get a headache with this, this thread could be closed by the mods because this "solution" will not work as good as he claims and keeps bragging about on youtube.

Cheers mate!

• 7 months later...

If there's anyone reading this thread looking for a solution, I can confirm that softgpu's wined3d dlls work great on qemu 3dfx.

I compiled qemu 3dfx and the wrappers myself and used the wine dlls from the softgpu iso. All you need to do is copy the opengl32.dll from qemu3dfx and the wined3d dlls to the application/game folder.

I am using Windows 98SE and an i5-4460 with integrated graphics and performance is surprisingly decent.

Screenshot_20230606_221544.png

• 1 month later...

https://archive.org/details/qemu-3dfx-vmaddons

Here is a link to kjliew's qemu-3dfx additions, in case anyone still wanted to try the additions he kept under a paywall for years. He doesn't seem to care too much either, but feel free to remove the link if it's still against sitewide rules, despite being a FOSS project.

This is quite the news.

It is indeed a custom installer using MSYS with quite a variety of WineD3D versions to choose from.

I think it would be beneficial to compare those DLLs with the ones we already know.

The ISO doesn't contain any source code, so I think it is against the rules, but he has changed the donation text since June 30th so currently it is not available for new donators.

Maybe the source code was provided in a separate archive and only the compiled ISO was uploaded?

What GCC compilers/compiler distributions are people using to target Windows 98? Just brewing their own builds?

Edit: Never mind. The question only partially fits the thread's current state.

Edited by awkduck