Web Browser + Proxomitron Reborn + PtronGUI --- A How-To Guide

Status Update -

ProxHTTPSProxyMII does work and is easy to configure - it was only the "test" dialog that is misleading (I think it's only intended to test "remote" proxies, not the link between Proxomitron and ProxHTTPSProxyMII, unsure).
At any rate, it does work and I can use the most-recent version.  Apologies for any confusion.

Next, there are two "nuances" that I'd like to correct before uploading an update (I've provided info on 'how' to CREATE what I am uploading, but I will provide the updates so others can use without reinventing the wheel).

The first nuance is the default use of "information hovers".
The Proxomitron config that I use displays these "information hovers" in the lower left corner of the web browser's viewing area - but they do not scroll with the viewing area, they are "fixed" at that corner.
You can turn these off by turning off the pertinant "filter", but we'll save that for later.
It's a matter of personal preference, but I prefer these "hovers" to be at the very bottom of the web page, out-of-sight and out-of-mind until I scroll all the way to the very bottom of the web page.

As an example, below are those "hovers" for MSFN.
Note that the "cookies" hover has a line through the text - that's because I took the screencap before I logged in.
But this screencap also demonstrates another powerful usage of Proxomitron - you can ALLOW a cookie on a particular web site, but you can FILTER the CONTENTS of that cookie.
Just like javascript, you can ALLOW javascript on a given web site, but if that javascript has 150 "functions" and you want to disable 75 of those "functions", YOU CAN.
Again, Proxomitron can be as "simple" as we want it to be, or as "complex" as we want it to be - it really is extremely powerful.

When you hover over the "cookies" information hover, a small dialog pops up and tells you exactly what information that cookie CONTAINS.
I've seen websites over the years that will put your ZIP CODE in the cookie so I'll fool the web site and edit their cookie to put me in California on one day, Florida on the next.
I also have web sites that I disable cookies for but I "fake" a cookie to LOG IN - yep, you can LOG IN to a web site without even allowing that web sites cookie.
Again, Proxomitron can be as "simple" as we want it to be, or as "complex" as we want it to be - it really is extremely powerful.

image.png.244a68630642ff23fba72101da64c2bc.png

The next nuance is how the config file "injects" .css and .js.
For the purposes here at MSFN, I'm not looking to use Proxomitron as the Swiss Army Knife that it is - once your toes are wet, you'll swim out to the deep end on your own when you see yourself as ready for the deep end.
So I'm not looking to "replace" NoScript + uMatrix + Stylus (or similar extensions), but rather work "with" them.
So the nuance is that local .css is inserted as its own http domain but local .js is inserted as https with the original web page as the host domain.
In other words, if you disable javascript by default (which I do and recommend from every rooftop I can shout from), then you cannot allow Proxomitron's local .js in NoScript because NoScript is blocking the original host domain.

image.thumb.png.7c58d5c08172ecc8b9c2cac74c59ec5c.png

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Tracker for updates to prox-config-sidki_2019-01-26b1  --  sidki_2019-01-26b1-uNorm.ptron  -->>  default.cfg

all .ptxt file name extensions and references reverted to .txt   [use standard OS extension so that no new file associations are needed]
Lists   --->>>  lists   [folder name]
Docs   --->>>   docs   [folder name]
Textures   --->>>  textures   [folder name]
CSS   --->>>   css   [folder name]
SslPort = 8443   --->>>   SslPort = 443
Use Local.Ptron https file server ProxN46R+ (edit!)  ----  $SET(lpPort=:8443)   --->>>   $SET(lpPort=:443)
renamed  >>  certs.pem   --->>>   certs.pem-disabled
lists  >>  sidki_l_2019-01-26b1  ----  URL-Parser.txt  --  updated 2009-07-04 sidki   --->>>   URL-Parser.txt  --  updated 2019-03-24 JJoe
<link> Remove: Prefetch Tags     19.1.20 [sd] (d.0)   --->>>   <link> Remove: Prefetch Tags     19.03.27 [sd] (d.0)
added   --->>>   Content-Security-Policy: Remove nonce and hash     19.09.15 [jjoe] (d.0) (In) [add+]
added   --->>>   Content-Security-Policy: Remove nonce,hash,strict     22.01.23 [jjoe] (d.0) (In) [add+]
added   --->>>   <script> Remove: Integrity     19.09.15 (multi) [jjoe] (d.0) [add+]
added   --->>>   <link> Remove: Integrity     19.09.15 (multi) [jjoe] (d.0) [add+]
html  >>  sidki_h_2019-01-26b1  >>  proxjs-full.js   ---   " style=\"text-decoration:line-through!important\"";   --->>>   " style=\"text-decoration: line-through !important; display: inline-block;\"";
html  >>  sidki_h_2019-01-26b1  >>  css  >>  proxcss-general.css  >>  div#pr0xDom-Div   ---   Bottom: 5px; !important;   --->>>   bottom: 5px !important;
html  >>  sidki_h_2019-01-26b1  >>  css  >>  proxcss-general.css  >>  input.Pr0xBtn-Input   ---   margin: 4px 0 0 0 !important;   --->>>   margin: 0 0 0 4px !important;
added   --->>>   [WinSizes]
unchecked  --->>>   4.1.b Log to Main (ctrl+shift key) + Rare
unchecked  --->>>   4.2 Log common Nuisances
unchecked  --->>>   5.1 Session Cookies by Default
checked   --->>>   Open normal Menu Links in new Window
unchecked  --->>>   Title: Append Time, Snip Excess
unchecked  --->>>   Title: Append Last-Modified or ETag
unchecked  --->>>   Title: Prepend Proxy Indicator

Last Uploaded  ==  01-24-2022

On 1/21/2022 at 9:13 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

The first nuance is the default use of "information hovers".
The Proxomitron config that I use displays these "information hovers" in the lower left corner of the web browser's viewing area - but they do not scroll with the viewing area, they are "fixed" at that corner.
You can turn these off by turning off the pertinant "filter", but we'll save that for later.
It's a matter of personal preference, but I prefer these "hovers" to be at the very bottom of the web page, out-of-sight and out-of-mind until I scroll all the way to the very bottom of the web page.

Resolved.

html  >>  sidki_h_2019-01-26b1  >>  css  >>  proxcss-general.css  >>  div#pr0xDom-Div   ---   position: fixed;   --->>>   position: relative;

Opted to keep as position-fixed afterall.  May opt for :hover elements at a later time so these are transparent unless hovered over.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:54 AM, Skorpios said:

Ok, I don't have that "problem"... the only extension I use is an adblocker but on the other hand I don't use my XP laptops for anything important. The old Thinkpad A31 I'm using now is still running the original install from 2003. No router, no VPN, no nothing and I'm not too worried if it connects to Paris, Moscow or Langley. Scanning/cleaning once a week. So far so good...

Langley is our ally , Moscow not . This is what I'm talking about.

yandex_spy.png

Additional nuance - line-through flyover text-decoration "overhangs" trailing end of text and adjacent input button.

Resolved.

html  >>  sidki_h_2019-01-26b1  >>  proxjs-full.js   ---   " style=\"text-decoration:line-through!important\"";   --->>>   " style=\"text-decoration: line-through !important; display: inline-block;\"";
html  >>  sidki_h_2019-01-26b1  >>  css  >>  proxcss-general.css  >>  input.Pr0xBtn-Input   ---   margin: 4px 0 0 0 !important;   --->>>   margin: 0 0 0 4px !important;

@NotHereToPlayGames

Just a reminder - you still have a bunch of reserved posts and a guide waiting to be finished.

Maybe get this done first and then play with the CSS for that injected menu? :P

Feel free to prettify and reuse whatever i wrote earlier if it helps.

@D.Draker

There should be a RU filter list you can enable in uBlock settings.

So, you're missing out on a ton of handy stuff because of fear and fricken politics, huh?!

I wonder what next you'll bring in this discussion about configuring proxies. Lizard people? Nessie? :ph34r::crazy:

P.S. check the "Inside job" animated series, it's pretty funny.

2 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Just a reminder - you still have a bunch of reserved posts and a guide waiting to be finished.

Maybe get this done first and then play with the CSS for that injected menu? :P

lol, I haven't forgotten.  I need to resolve an issue on "ordering" first.  Proxomitron will not work as intended if the web browser does not allow Proxomitron injected javascript.

I need to find a way for the Proxomitron injected javascript to work on a web site that NoScript or uMatrix disables web site javascript.

I can get Proxomitron injected .css to work properly, but having a "slight" issue with Proxomitron injected .js (namely on httpS sites).

Almost there...

Proxomitron can technically REPLACE both NoScript and uMatrix (and Stylus).  But since Proxomitron is "list-based" and NoScript, uMatrix, and Stylus all have a GUI that people know and love, I fear that nobody will give Proxomitron a true chance if I cannot get it to "play nice" with NoScript / uMatrix / Stylus / UBO / and similar.  NoScript is the only true holdup at the moment.

Almost there...

5 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

@D.Draker

There should be a RU filter list you can enable in uBlock settings.

So, you're missing out on a ton of handy stuff because of fear and fricken politics, huh?!

I wonder what next you'll bring in this discussion about configuring proxies. Lizard people? Nessie? :ph34r::crazy:

P.S. check the "Inside job" animated series, it's pretty funny.

And why would I need a RU filter if I don't use russian websites ? Handy stuff like what ? Fims/music/electronics/cars that russians stole from the West ? 

I did not bring anything, but you just did . I stated the fact that the mentioned website connects to yandex. Please be respectful. 

I don't watch anime. 

• NotHereToPlayGames changed the title to Web Browser + Proxomitron Reborn + PtronGUI --- A How-To Guide
8 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I don't watch anime. 

It is "anime" as much as "The Simpsons" is.

As Wikipedia says "Inside Job is an American adult animated science fiction comedy streaming television series".

It's from your ally Langley :P

That said, i could also recommend you one anime series about bodybuilding, if you change your mind later :D

btw. i just watched "Poisson d'avril" yesterday. De Funes is such a villain, lol. Reminded me of his "Le Gendarme..." movies.

7 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Well then you need to clarify this in the title because remote proxies is the first thing that comes to mind.

Well, remote proxies is the first thing that comes to your mind.

I don't mean to offend you, but from the very beginning you mistook this for the thing suited to your needs (which it is not).

Most of the regulars of the XP forums either use or at least have heard about ProxHTTPSProxy, and by extension likewise about Proxomitron as it's required for ProxHTTPSProxy.

On 1/16/2022 at 1:32 PM, D.Draker said:

I use instagram to buy food for my sport diet . It's cheaper that way. I use a simple bot crawler to dowload pics with food so I could browse and choose what I need later . I do NOT download millions of pictures . So no abusive behaviour . The bot usually fetches a hundred of pics (at max.) in several hours , it is quite similar to ordinary browsing .

Instagram has a specific policy against that. Even if you think your case is "quite similar to ordinary browsing", the server can clearly detect it and block you.

Your whole approach to this problem (Instagram blocking) seems wrong to me. You insist on using proxy lists and automated scraping, and just quickly burn any working proxies you find. This is an annoyance not only to you, but also to everyone else who may have wanted to use these same proxies for normal Instagram browsing.

Why don't you open a discussion for this problem exactly (the blocking, not proxies) so you can get specific help on it?

And if you don't really care about Instagram, but only about buying sports food, make it about this instead.

I am sure you could get much better help this way.

HTH

Edited by RainyShadow

8 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

It is "anime" as much as "The Simpsons" is.

As Wikipedia says "Inside Job is an American adult animated science fiction comedy streaming television series".

It's from your ally Langley :P

That said, i could also recommend you one anime series about bodybuilding, if you change your mind later :D

btw. i just watched "Poisson d'avril" yesterday. De Funes is such a villain, lol. Reminded me of his "Le Gendarme..." movies.

Well, remote proxies is the first thing that comes to your mind.

I don't mean to offend you, but from the very beginning you mistook this for the thing suited to your needs (which it is not).

Most of the regulars of the XP forums either use or at least have heard about ProxHTTPSProxy, and by extension likewise about Proxomitron as it's required for ProxHTTPSProxy.

Instagram has a specific policy against that. Even if you think your case is "quite similar to ordinary browsing", the server can clearly detect it and block you.

Your whole approach to this problem (Instagram blocking) seems wrong to me. You insist on using proxy lists and automated scraping, and just quickly burn any working proxies you find. This is an annoyance not only to you, but also to everyone else who may have wanted to use these same proxies for normal Instagram browsing.

Why don't you open a discussion for this problem exactly (the blocking, not proxies) so you can get specific help on it?

And if you don't really care about Instagram, but only about buying sports food, make it about this instead.

I am sure you could get much better help this way.

HTH

1 - Like I said , thanks , not intersted in any sort of anime .

2 - Langley was brought up by another member . I'm not interested in political discussions . 

3 - Remote poxies is the first result in any search

4 - No , read the description , this programme works with remote proxies , so I'm posting in the right topic.

5 - Did you or did you not read ? I'm not the only one with this problem . Other users can't even open a page more than 3 times (without any proxies).

https://msfn.org/board/topic/178259-instagram-videos-not-working-in-firefox-52-esr/?do=findComment&comment=1211117

6 - Not interested in your opinion about "my approach" . 

7 - Had this instascam topic opened two weesks ago .

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183282-instagram-some-coutries-are-in-favour-help-to-get-clean-ranges-of-ips/

8 - This huge post of yours and zero helpful (on-topic )help .

9 - "Policies" , lol . Do you always follow "policies" ? Instagram works on my territory and must obey the laws of my country . Being a public

service, they can't force me to login or just delete/block my account , if I'm not in violation of my country laws (which I'm not).

This a long discussion , but you can find all French laws regarding this yourself. (not interested to post any further)

IPs that I use is none of their business. There is ZERO mentions in the agreement about it , BTW>

An interesting explanation from the Guru for you .

"One example that I am sure you are aware is instances where emails from x domain either get blocked or filtered into spam for no apparent reason."

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183282-instagram-some-coutries-are-in-favour-help-to-get-clean-ranges-of-ips/?do=findComment&comment=1211283

Edited by D.Draker
links with comments