[Solved] Installing StartAllBack 3.2.1 Windows 11 22000.376, Crashes Explorer

boji

Yeah that

3 hours ago, Tihiy said:

Yep, it fails on critical hooks. Some other nasty hook (or anti-virus protection?) affects that. I would like remote access to such machine, dump does not contain all memory.

This version shouldn't crash but won't fully work either

http://startisback.com/StartAllBack_setup.exe

Yes this one doesn't crash but doesn't modify anything as far as I can see.

UPDATE

Oh, I see start actually does work if I push win+shift and it is modifying explorer as well.

Edited by boji

Not loading a non Microsoft binary is "Code Integrity Guard" in MS exploit mitigations. The mitigation for preventing dynamically-generated code is "Arbitrary Code Guard"

Edited by boji

This new version accurately replaces the taskbar and start menu...

I do get the occasional explorer crash-dump I never had before, after right clicking the taskbar.  the dumps vary, they either points to heap corruption, or to k-lite's thumbs. Crash dump is created and a k-lite popup appears asking to send the dump to their side.

Fault3.thumb.jpg.0e16e07e67c3acf08f9070eef26bfce6.jpg

Right clicking the taskbar was what triggered the crash. Right clicking the start button never did. But now after a crash, right clicking the start button shows no menu. Left clicking works however. The button appears permanently in the pushed position.

Edited by boji

[1688] StartIsBack: forbiding XAML launcher to start
[1688] SIB ASSERTION FAILED SysTray.cpp:332
[1688] Jumplist populated in 8 ms (system pane items 5 init 14 ms) total 27 ms
[1688] Jumplist populated in 89 ms (system pane items 40 init 14 ms) total 143 ms

Ok... so i manually forced closed explorer, reloaded it to test more. This time I got the Icaros popup without explorer crashing. Right clicking about a dozen times eventually caused the right click menu on the start button to stick & stop working. The rest works fine however. No crash/dump  yet on this try.

Edited by boji

• boji changed the title to [Solved] Installing StartAllBack 3.2.1 Windows 11 22000.376, Crashes Explorer

On 1/11/2022 at 5:46 PM, Tihiy said:

That's nice to hear but I hope you'll find the culprit, write if you have found any more issues, including DebugView log

Is there any use for you to connect to my computer and perform debugging at this point?

Edited by boji