marking more bad sectors

I picked up an oldish (I think c 2014) 2TB USB external drive; model SRD00F1, contains a 2TB Seagate.

Did a check with HDTune and there were a few bad sectors.

Did a reformat as NTSF. I ran chkdsk H: /F/X/R from Win 7 and after a few hours it completed, marking a few bad sectors, and HDTune now shows no bad sectors.

But the test pauses a few seconds on a few sectors.

Copying files to it, it also paused on a few files.

So is there a way to put any marginal sectors  as "bad"?.

I know the disk can never be trusted 100%, but it runs smoothly, can hear no clicks when accessing. So I think I can use it for moving data, etc..

Edited by Asp

Likely you have a number of "slow" or "weak" sectors.

You need a tool like Victoria to assess the situation.

IF these sectors are all concentrated in one area (or a handful of areas) of the disk, the easiest would be to exclude the affected area(s) by some clever partitioning.

Only for the record, once upon a time (cannot really say if it i still done, I doubt it) "huge" multi-platter disks (think of the 500 GB disks some 15 years ago) with defects were "refurbished" (in some countries) by disabling one or more heads and resold as having a smaller capacity.

jaclaz

spacer.png

Sort of in the same postilion as you and while I know this hard drive is not reliable and can't be trusted, everything runs fine and I can do everything I need to do with this. The strange thing is, I'm also using Victoria and have run the very long 'Test & Repair' and still can not remap the 1 pending sector, but its not spreading. I've ticked "remap" and "read" (also tried "write") but it won't remap or erase - the scan read no errors. I think I only had 30 uncorrectable ECC Errors last year and I've now 43. Otherwise, I'm quite surprised that this Seagate is still working considering.

EDIT:

Later today, I'm try the repair job again as it take several hours for me. I did also chkdsk f/x/r and S.M.A.R.T is still reporting pending sector and I'm cleared all logs, in fact, I removed all trace of it only until today to see again for your posting. I will say, given its age, these seem to be a very tough hard drive. I'm glad however that your bad sectors were remapped successfully with your complete format ... the only thing I've not done as of yet. :)

Edited by XPerceniol

52 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

...You need a tool like Victoria to assess the situation.

Hi @jaclaz..

Do you recommend running it in safe mode? As I said, you helped me (along with others kind members) in my own thread regarding bad sectors and either it didn't fix it last year, or this is another new one. I don't know?

Edited by XPerceniol

spacer.png

spacer.png

Took most of the day offline to do this full scan and repair. So funny, no errors or warning but S.M.A.R.T is still detecting bad sector and eminent failure. Sort of wish I understood the values and what they mean, but I'm so clueless it not even funny :) I'm guessing that is also showing/reporting weak sectors. The hardware check/test didn't go so well but I forgot to get the screen grab.

Anyways..

Sorry for hijacking your thread and hopefully our hard drives will last longer. I'm sure there be folks on that are going... dang, I hope something will kill off that crazy nuts computer so we don't have to hear anymore nonsense (me, of course). Lol

Good luck and keep us posted as I'm sure others likely haven't seen it yet and will help you as they helped me; and actually, it was @Dixel that recommended the full format to me, but I've yet to do it, just too much going on in real life, sad to say. 

EDIT: Funny (not 'haha' funny)

HD Tune paints a better picture as OK in Green ... hate to admit my computer is in a bad location very close to the radiator. Need to do something as I tend to run high. 

htune.JPG.44bafea5a2148f18accb3876c3005c2d.JPG

Edited by XPerceniol

On 1/7/2022 at 1:51 AM, jaclaz said:

Likely you have a number of "slow" or "weak" sectors.

You need a tool like Victoria to assess the situation.

IF these sectors are all concentrated in one area (or a handful of areas) of the disk, the easiest would be to exclude the affected area(s) by some clever partitioning.

I tried Victoria, while the interface is English, the help files are only Russian. So I can't get very far with it.

The "test and repair" section has a "remap" button which sounds promising, but don't know how to use it.

Maybe will try to translate the Russian doc.

Yep, there is very little English documentation for it, the Author's site is not that bad via google translate, but it's not like there are many docs, the FAQ's however will be useful:

https://hdd-by.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=it

https://hdd-by.translate.goog/victoria5_faq/?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=it

https://hdd-by.translate.goog/victoria_faq/?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=it

jaclaz