Dude

NotHereToPlayGames

CONTEXT is difficult to convey.  Especially in written form on an international forum.

I do not recommend using the word "dude" as a "greeting".

ie, as the first word in a sentence "directed at" whomever you are speaking to.

You most certainly do not approach a law enforcement officer, a college professor, a priest or rabbi, a politician, a ruler of a country, basically any position of respect and authority, and start your sentence off with "dude".

Like I say, CONTEXT is difficult to convey.

But "dude" as a "greeting" and then followed by "did you even read" does have certain "undertones" that I would suggest most of us do not do when speaking to our own parents in honor and respect.

So yeah, the word "dude" can be derogatory in nature, but it can also be an informal greeting to a friend within our peer group.

But if I ever meet a foreign dictator, prince, princess, king, queen, president, vice president, et cetera, you can rest assured that the first word I utter will not be "dude".

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Second : between the Europeans, it's some sort of a joke that you'll not (never) understand, tied up to the cheap American B/C-grade films.

I must be non-european, then (though last time I checked Italy was part of  Europe :yes:).

Maybe you are expanding your regional experience to whole Europe? :unsure:

Using "dude" to address someone - at least in my perverted mind - is not particularly funny.

Maybe I am just becoming too old,  and the yutes[1] communicate differently nowadays.

jaclaz

[1] https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104952/quotes/qt0404568

@D.Draker Please do not quote me again ever. I have come to realize that WinClient5270 was very wise, and my New Years resolution is to forget about the problems of using Windows Vista in 2022. All forums (not just this one) are now dominated by people who are either rude or mentally ill (it is hard to be certain when they barely know English). My Vista hardware sits in a closet awaiting a refurbishment that it will probably never get, since running Vista no longer strikes me as a good idea.

Happy New Year!

40 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

@D.Draker Please do not quote me again ever. I have come to realize that WinClient5270 was very wise, and my New Years resolution is to forget about the problems of using Windows Vista in 2022. All forums (not just this one) are now dominated by people who are either rude or mentally ill (it is hard to be certain when they barely know English). My Vista hardware sits in a closet awaiting a refurbishment that it will probably never get, since running Vista no longer strikes me as a good idea.

Happy New Year!

@Vistapocalypse I would kindly advice that you to make sure that this decision is not dictated by the behavior of a single "dude", who is (intentionally or not) kicking you from the MSFN community. I'm sure 99% people here appreciate your dedication to the topic and you helped many of them:worship:.

If there are more important reasons, it's ok, I (and probably everyone here) will respect your decision. Good luck with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, Linux (just not Windows 10 or 11).

Happy New Year!

3 minutes ago, TSNH said:

Good luck with Windows 7, 8, 8.1, Linux (just not Windows 10 or 11).

Happy New Year!

Thanks. I have actually become accustomed to using my iPhone for virtually everything now - in fact I don’t think I have posted here using any other method since early 2020. But I do love history, and Vista is definitely history.

On 12/31/2021 at 1:14 PM, jaclaz said:

I must be non-european, then (though last time I checked Italy was part of  Europe :yes:).

Maybe you are expanding your regional experience to whole Europe? :unsure:

Using "dude" to address someone - at least in my perverted mind - is not particularly funny.

Maybe I am just becoming too old,  and the yutes[1] communicate differently nowadays.

jaclaz

[1] https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104952/quotes/qt0404568

I've never heard Italians were using American English in Italy, I always thought it's just Italian. Thanks for letting me know , I'll make sure to not call the Italian hotel staff "dudes", the next time I visit Italy.

Dear @jaclaz , could you please translate the question to the not "dude" from Poland (who can't read the link) or doesn't understand the question I asked ?

Thank you very much , you're very helpful , as usual. Happy New Year , BTW !

On 12/31/2021 at 4:40 AM, Vistapocalypse said:

Do they really say “dude” in France? In America, only id*** speak that way.

Dear @Tripredacus , please tell , if a user calls me an id*** (indirectly, like in this case) , can I call this user an imb*cile in return (also indirectly) ?

Or such kind of behaviour is forbidden for me , but not for him ? Thank you and Happy New Year !

P.S. 

I did not even address him as "dude" , he took it out of another reply to another user.

Edited by D.Draker
PS

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Dear @jaclaz , could you please translate the question to the not "dude" from Poland (who can't read the link) or doesn't understand the question I asked ?

If I knew what the question was, I may.

The original question, if any, has been lost (or I cannot find it easily) in the midst of the (senseless) bickering (and whining).

Maybe if these latter behaviours could be stopped (possibly right now) the communication among members would be easier, smoother and also more productive.

jaclaz

Best to just be nice to everyone here to be safe. The forum rules are for direct talking but Vistapocalypse didn't use it that way.

The word dude has some different types of meaning to different people. In general in the US it is just used towards everyone and no one cares about it. How it can be used in other countries and which of the historical "definitions" or connotations it is associated with I don't know. Such as if the word became known in x country to relate to one of the old meanings such as "person from city/out of their element" and then that country did not go through the word progression that happened in the US, then many TV and movies from US use the term, there may be a different understanding in that country. But in general "dude" is casual speak and can work everywhere but in a professional or corporate environment.

As such, there are some people who take offense to the word dude, typically professionals and those in corporate environments, doctors or government people.

But no issue for anyone to call anyone dude on the forum.

5 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

But no issue for anyone to call anyone dude on the forum.

Thanks, dude!  (I could not resist, lol)

I will say that when I was attending college (go Boilermakers!), I had a very diverse group of friends.

Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese, European, African American, Latino.

"Dude" is one of those words we use and it will almost always be followed by other cultures asking what that means.

Granted, this was also in the 90s and the world is much more "connected" then it was back then.

Context is often conveyed not by the word itself but by the entire sentence and often times facial expression is needed.

If I go back even further, I went to a Catholic High School and we had a Priest that tought some of our classes.

We never called him "dude" but we did call him "Padre".

HE felt like that was disrespectful but the more we did it anyway, the more he realized it was more in "camraderie" than anything at all to do with "respect" or "disrespect".

So long as nobody calls me dudette I'm fine :)

As the word gained popularity and reached the coasts of the U.S. and traveled between borders, variations of the slang began to pop up such as the female versions of dudette and dudines; however, they were short lived due to dude also gaining a neutral gender connotation and some linguists see the female versions as more artificial slang. The slang eventually had gradual decline in usage until the early to mid 20th century when other subcultures of the U.S. began using it more frequently while again deriving it from the type of dress and eventually using it as a descriptor for common male and sometimes female companions.

Actually, just don't call me late for dinner.

Edited by XPerceniol

On 1/5/2022 at 3:37 PM, jaclaz said:

If I knew what the question was, I may.

The original question, if any, has been lost (or I cannot find it easily) in the midst of the (senseless) bickering (and whining).

Maybe if these latter behaviours could be stopped (possibly right now) the communication among members would be easier, smoother and also more productive.

jaclaz

The original question:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183152-windows-vista-on-intel-haswell-and-later-issues/?do=findComment&comment=1210440

I understood the sentence as

"Hi ! Could you (plural - forum members) please confirm or deny what he (@Jakob99) says ? I refuse to beleive that ,but still , perhaps we need to try" "I'm assuming he's (@Jakob99) talking about the rollup from August 2020"

The correct interpretation was probably

"Hi ! Could you (singular - @Jakob99) please confirm or deny what he (@daniel_k) says ? I refuse to beleive that ,but still , perhaps we need to try" "I'm assuming he's (@daniel_k) talking about the rollup from August 2020"

That's how it all started :cool:

Edited by TSNH