How to downgrade Windows 11 to Windows 10 and keep all files and programs

GD 2W10

Tired of Windows 11? Want to go back to Windows 10 without having to move files (well, kinda)? Well this tutorial is for you!

NOTE: This will involve deleting some partitions and modifying the registry. Back up your files as we will run into some errors. 

1. You will need two ISOs: a Windows 10 1507 or 1511 ISO and a Windows 10 20H2+ ISO. You can get these ISOs via Windows ISO Downloader

2. Mount the Windows 10 1507/1511 ISO and copy all of the files into another folder. You must use a Windows 10 1507/1511 ISO, or else this will not work.

3. Mount the Windows 10 20H2+ ISO and go to sources and copy "install.wim". In order to follow the steps on the tutorial, I would recommend using 20H2 or later, as I have not tested any version before, so some might require additional work. However, we are still using the 1507/1511 setup.

4 Right click "setup.exe", then click "Troubleshoot compatibility"

5. Click on "Use recommended settings". This will set the compatibility to Windows 8. 

6 Click on "Test program". It will give you a UAC prompt, click Yes.

7. Go through setup normally until reboot. We are tricking the 1507/1511 setup into thinking that this is an upgrade from Windows 8 to 10, but we are actually "upgrading" 11 to 10.

8. Your computer should reboot three times, getting past the getting ready screen. After that, on the next reboot Windows will present you with the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen. This is normal, so let it get to the Windows Recovery screen. 

9. Go to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt. We are going to disable WinRE, rebuild the boot files, delete a faulty driver (IntelPMT.sys), and skip OOBE.

10. Type in these commands:

cd /d C:

rd Recovery /s /q

diskpart

sel dis 0

lis par

sel par 3 (the partition labeled Recovery)

del par (override)

sel par 1 (your boot partition)

assign

exit

bcdboot C:\Windows /s W: (where your boot partition is)

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

regedit

11. Go to HKLM and click File > Load hive

12. Go to C:\Windows\system32\config and import "SYSTEM". Name the hive something other than "SYSTEM", like "SYS"

13. Go to HKLM\SYS\ControlSet001\Services. Scroll down until you see the key "IntelPMT". Right click and delete the key.

14. We will also bypass OOBE. In that same hive, go to the Setup key, and set both CMD Lines to cmd.exe, and set all values to 0.

15. Now unload your SYSTEM hive. Exit the Registry Editor, then reboot.

16. When you get to your desktop, you will see that your apps transferred, but not your files. Your files should still be there in the Windows 11 folder, located in C:\Windows.old\Users\(your user). Copy all of the files into your folder from your old folder. Most apps will work, but some may need to be reinstalled, such as Bluestacks.

17. You will notice that some apps will not work, like the Personalization shortcut on the right-click desktop menu will not work. This all can be fixed with a repair install of Windows 10 20H2+. To do this, repeat steps 1-7 or use the original 20H2+ ISO. This should fix the errors.

You could technically continue downgrading all the way down to 8.1, by downgrading from 20H2+ to 1511 with a similar trick, then 1511 to 8.1 (but downgrading to those OSES are much more complicated).

Edited by GD 2W10

19 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Hi , do you by any chance have a similar solution on how to downgrade Windows 7 to Windows Vista and keep all files and programs intact ? Thanks !

No, I have been trying to find a way to do so, but I haven't found one yet. And unlike 10 and 11, some programs on 7 will not work on Vista, without the extended kernel. 

3 hours ago, GD 2W10 said:

No, I have been trying to find a way to do so, but I haven't found one yet. And unlike 10 and 11, some programs on 7 will not work on Vista, without the extended kernel. 

Thank you for the swift reply , I don't need/use that progs anyways. I'll wait in hope.

On 12/26/2021 at 5:24 AM, D.Draker said:

Hi , do you by any chance have a similar solution on how to downgrade Windows 7 to Windows Vista and keep all files and programs intact ? Thanks !

Check whether this video tutorial helps you:

On 12/25/2021 at 6:54 PM, D.Draker said:

The closest I have gotten to doing that would be starting an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8.0 (unmodified 8.0 ISO, setup running with the /noreboot flag), removing the Windows.NEW folder, deploying Vista in a new Windows.NEW folder, then rebooting, then it would boot into the first stage, then boot into Vista. It hangs on "Please wait while Windows sets up your computer...". If you want, you can try this yourself and try to troubleshoot more. But that's the best advice I can give you as of right now. 

Edited by GD 2W10