DVD-Data showing as AudioCD

CaelThunderwing

is there a easy way to properly burnt DVD-Data discs for Windows 98? as a handset of games are quite large comparativly to the small 20GB Hard drive i currently got in a system im building and would be nice to offset a chunk of the CD Images on a Set of DVD Discs.

the last attempted i burnt in Imgburn Build mode set for Mode1/2048 (data type), ISO9660 + UDF (for Filesystem), and UDF revision 1.02

An old version of Alcohol120, UltraIso vs 9.6.2.3059 or Cheetah DVD burner. They want money, are old, and Cheetah never returned email. They all have a trail period. If some software has it own CD access API Winaspi.dll it usually needs to be removed as it would not be suitable for 98, just run with 98 API. Adaptec has an update for ASPI drivers: Winaspi.dll and Apix.vxd vs 4.7.1.

It should have worked fine. What does Imgburn say about the disk in the "Information" tab?

Did you check that DVD in another PC or OS?

Are you sure the disk is not damaged (scratches in the innermost track, etc.)? Maybe it can't be read properly.

Did you do a "Verify" after burning?

Also, check that data disks burned elsewhere are recognised properly in your system.

You can create an image of the disk, mount it, and see if it's recognised fine.

Or check with another program like IsoBuster.

If you have troubles with other data disks too, give the Panasonic DVD-RAM driver a try (it includes an UDF driver). I have used it successfully with my NEC drive.

Here is a guide on how to make it work for non-Panasonic drives - https://club.myce.com/t/hacked-panasonic-dvd-ram-device-driver/102623

On 12/24/2021 at 4:13 AM, RainyShadow said:

It should have worked fine. What does Imgburn say about the disk in the "Information" tab?

Did you check that DVD in another PC or OS?

Are you sure the disk is not damaged (scratches in the innermost track, etc.)? Maybe it can't be read properly.

Did you do a "Verify" after burning?

Also, check that data disks burned elsewhere are recognised properly in your system.

You can create an image of the disk, mount it, and see if it's recognised fine.

Or check with another program like IsoBuster.

If you have troubles with other data disks too, give the Panasonic DVD-RAM driver a try (it includes an UDF driver). I have used it successfully with my NEC drive.

Here is a guide on how to make it work for non-Panasonic drives - https://club.myce.com/t/hacked-panasonic-dvd-ram-device-driver/102623

yea, i also posted this in r/windows98 only idea that came up was Just the Filesystem setting. setting it to ISO9660+Joilet+UDF worked in testing, but the "bad discs" do read in my eMac & easily read in this PC that burned the Discs. soon as roommate wakes up at this moment, i'll head out to buy more blank Discs (local place sells Maxwell branded Discs 25 for 7$ (XD havent seen Blank disc prices this low since the early to late 2000's)

Hmm, is this vanilla Win98 or Win98SE?

Anyways, i see they suggested you to install an UDF driver over at reddit too.

If you want long filenames, you will need Joliet as ISO9660 is limited to 8.3 names.

While you are shopping, get couple rewritable disks too if your drive can burn them. Makes testing much cheaper :P

One of the most difficult discs for a CD/DVD reader to read is the original WinME update disc. Your burner seems to be the problem and I suggest you use PIO 0 and no Ultra DMA in BIOS. I use PIO 0 and single word direct memory access, it prolongs your DVD burners life and I have not had any trouble. 80 pin cables have all pins/wires shorted and are highly tuned. I avoid using them where possible. The cable length can make a difference though as different impedances at the ends cause reflections. See if your burner reads the discs when using the Windows startup disc. Your burner could be old and if that is the case you need to buy DVD+R discs Verbatim are a good source for these. All original burners where DVD+R and I bought 100 DVD+Rs for safe keeping as I have some old burners.