Windows XP does not start after entering Kingston USB Pencil

Cixert

Usually I introduce USB storage devices from different manufacturers without any problem.
I liked the Kingston DTSE9 model by how comfortable it is to take it on the keychain without breaking.
I have a 16 GB storage model, as it is a bit scarce I bought other two same model USB 2.0 pencils with 32 Gb and 64Gb.

71D+CsFAvOL._AC_SX300_SY300_.jpg
Then I checked that when I enter them on any computer with Windows XP, the device installation is produced but when restarting the operating system does not start. Windows XP is frozen on the logo screen.
I get Windows XP with F8, choosing last well-known configuration.
I have requested Kingston assistance.
They kindly sent me a substitution model but surprise, the same problem is repeated. They have sent me the model DT micro 3.1
I indicate that other pencils 32 Gb USB Kingston work without problems.

Edited by Cixert

7 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Something you can try (hit and miss) is to clear the Registry history entries:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/175838-be-careful-with-nirsoft-cleanafterme/

and given links.

But from what you say it seems like the issue happens earlier, during the BIOS part of booting? 

jaclaz

I do not think it's a USB devices collapse problem.
The error occurs on all computed with Windows XP, I have verified the same problem on 5 Windows XP computers.
I insert the USB pencil, the system installs the drivers and asks to restart. When I restart the BIOS works perfectly, it is Windows XP that freezes on the logo screen.
In the Device Manager when inserting the pen, it appears:
-Al Mass Storage USB Device
With the Microsoft driver
Disk.sys 5.1.2600.5512.
partmgr.sys 5.2.3790.3959.
But, oh surprise, I just saw that partmgr.sys is from Windows 2003, I have 8 GIB RAM installed and the Windows 2003 USB patch
In any case in other computers that I do not have this patch installed I have the same problem.

If I insert the DTSE9 model with 16 GB RAM that works perfectly, the same driver appears but the device administrator says the name Kingston USB 2.0 Data Traveler instead of Al Mass Storage USB Device

Edited by Cixert

The formatting or filesystem might not be XP-compatible. Try above, then reformat. Try higher OS or LiveCD Linux.

Maybe another driver is available or perhaps someone has developed an updated USB driver for XP.

Edited by jumper
rephrased last paragraph

8 hours ago, Cixert said:

With the Microsoft driver
Disk.sys 5.1.2600.5512.

I have four DTSE9 (actually two of them are DTGE9--gold in color).  I checked them on XP Professional, and all show driver 5.1.2535.0.

Device Manager "Update Driver" says "Windows could not find a better match for your hardware..." for what that is worth.

2 hours ago, bluebolt said:

I have four DTSE9 (actually two of them are DTGE9--gold in color).  I checked them on XP Professional, and all show driver 5.1.2535.0.

Device Manager "Update Driver" says "Windows could not find a better match for your hardware..." for what that is worth.

How many gigas do those USB pendrive have?
I also have the 16 GB and this does work perfectly.
They are 32 and 64 GB those that do not work.
I have tried to format the pendrive with FAT32.
I have not tried to fill in sector 0 with zeros.
But Windows XP does not start without the inserted USB pendrive.
I insert the pendrive, the drivers are installed, remove the pendrive and then Windows XP no longer starts.

Edit, Solved:
The problem was in Windows 2003 USB Drivers.
I had not installed them for the 8 GIB RAM compatibility, as I mentioned earlier, but I had installed them to read GPT discs as indicated in this post.

The problem appears when Windows XP has to read new USB pendrive and install the drivers, then Windows XP is not able to start.
However if the pendrive is installed with the original Windows XP drivers and then the Windows 2003 Drivers are installed, the system works correctly until a new pendrive is inserted and you have to reinstall the drivers for the pendrive.

Edited by Cixert

2K3 was tested fully. I found that there is a faulty driver in the mix myself. I do not think I was using XP but I was using Vista with an older machine and I had to use a 2K3 driver as the XP one didn't work and neither Vista I think. Just wondering if 2K3 USB drivers work in XP. As they do then the XP repository has to be updated so that it installs 2K3 divers instead of XP if that is what is happening.

Edited by Goodmaneuver

14 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

2K3 was tested fully. I found that there is a faulty driver in the mix myself. I do not think I was using XP but I was using Vista with an older machine and I had to use a 2K3 driver as the XP one didn't work and neither Vista I think. Just wondering if 2K3 USB drivers work in XP. As they do then the XP repository has to be updated so that it installs 2K3 divers instead of XP if that is what is happening.

I paste the WK3 Drivers USB "disk.sys" and "partmgr.sys" in
\ Windows \ System32 \ Drivers
\ Windows \ System32 \ dllcache
Both with version 5.2.3790.3959
I have also tried version 5.2.3790.1830
The result is the same.
Windows is blocked by restarting the system after entering a new pendrive.

When I was installing the drivers I had a choice of different OS's infs so it must have been third party drivers and the OS that I was installing may have been Win7. I knew the machine was good as I had been running another OS on it. The point being I installed the 2K3 inf. If you can upgrade one of your XP systems to w2k3sp2 then you will have all the necessary requirements for testing and installing. The thing was with XP if you wanted to use a serial mouse then it had to be in use while installing the OS otherwise it may not be installed correctly. The 2K3 inf's for USB need to be installed if they work and the XPSP3 cab folder will need to be upgraded as well in the Driver Cache.

Edited by Goodmaneuver
typo