Performance difference of Windows Vista VMware VM on Windows host vs Linux host - any reasons why?

Win10-Hater

Hello folks, I use a VM of Windows Vista Business SP2 x64 (with no updates installed) on Zorin OS 16, my main OS. I earlier ran such a VM on my Windows Vista host OS, the virtualization application being VMware Workstation, but on the same hardware configuration, the performance of the VM under Linux is noticeably better than that of the VM under Windows. Any reasons why? I just wonder.

On 12/19/2021 at 9:14 AM, Win10-Hater said:

Hello folks, I use a VM of Windows Vista Business SP2 x64 (with no updates installed) on Zorin OS 16, my main OS. I earlier ran such a VM on my Windows Vista host OS, the virtualization application being VMware Workstation, but on the same hardware configuration, the performance of the VM under Linux is noticeably better than that of the VM under Windows. Any reasons why? I just wonder.

Sorry for going off topic, but glad to see you back 😉

• 1 month later...

spacer.png

I must say, I've not had any issues with Zorin and have been using it regularly now and would consider it as an option to replace XP, but only when its completely useless and we're not there yet as far as I'm concerned. I see no reason to go with Pro as wine seems to be able to run windows programs. The drawbacks, are, its not as customizable as XP to me and I'm used to changing and creating new menus and folders on the start menu at will and the file explorer isn't as manageable. Just so happens the large fonts are okay with me but I know they can be changed.

On 12/19/2021 at 10:14 AM, Win10-Hater said:

Are you using Qemu on Linux? If do that is reason likely. Qemu is hypervisor while VMware workstation is virtualization software. Hypervisor is better on allocating resources than virtualization software.

I actually prefer Qemu on Linux because it integrates better with hardware and it is best choice for server use.

15 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

spacer.png

I must say, I've not had any issues with Zorin and have been using it regularly now and would consider it as an option to replace XP, but only when its completely useless and we're not there yet as far as I'm concerned. I see no reason to go with Pro as wine seems to be able to run windows programs. The drawbacks, are, its not as customizable as XP to me and I'm used to changing and creating new menus and folders on the start menu at will and the file explorer isn't as manageable. Just so happens the large fonts are okay with me but I know they can be changed.

For me Zorin OS pro feels exploiting Linux newbies. They charge money for having few more applications installed from repository by default and having few extra wallpapers. And excuse pressing few buttons is too hard makes me ask how did they got Linux installed to begin with?

Or maybe many falls for their trickery because Linux community does little to none to help. If you ask what is good starter distro, best distro for some purpose or anything else you will get 10000 different opinions.

My distro recommendations are based on experience from users I helped install Linux on. Sadly one of recommendations Linux mint is on edge now by having deals with Mozilla which might involve some datamining considering amount Mozilla done it.

Welcome to world where nothing is good option anymore

11 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

If you ask what is good starter distro, best distro for some purpose or anything else you will get 10000 different opinions.

Totally agree!  Microsoft is sitting in their offices just LAUGHING, "They'll never dethrone us, you can NOT win over 'public opinion' when you have over 600 distros and 500 in active development!  We can't even get 'public opinion' to agree on 10 versus 11!"

You know, kinda like "What's the best way to win a 2-party election?  Easy, throw in a 3rd-party candidate to split votes with one of the two parties!"

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/19/2021 at 8:14 AM, Win10-Hater said:

I noticed the exact same thing under VMware half a decade ago (2017?) - I found it particularly amusing.

To be fair, in general most software I've thrown at even a heavyweight Linux distro runs better than on any version of NT 6, so that's kind of saying something.

Edited by Compa