RAM upgrade on laptop, 2GB to 4GB

we3fan

Thanks guys.

After some digging I found out that the max RAM supported by my Motherboard Chipset is 3GB.
I put two 2GB RAM sticks (4GB total) and in System Properties > General - it still shows: 2,87 GB of RAM.
In BIOS > System Memory > Usable Size 2944 MB.

This will probably not work, but - Will BIOS update make it support 4GB RAM?

Off Topic:
@Rod Steel - I really appreciate your recommendations.
Luckily I have an old version of MiniTool that works in XP.
I also got Solid State Doctor 3.0.3.2 some time ago when I was looking for TRIM programs for XP.

The SSD speed shows (in MB/s):
Asus XP laptop, Core Duo T2500 CPU:    132 Read, 112 Write, 4K: 17 Read, 29 Write
HP Win7 laptop, Core 2 Duo T5750 CPU: 260 Read, 178 Write; 4K: 19 Read, 43 Write   The SSD was tested previously on clean XP install on both laptops

When I saw that the SSD speed on the HP laptop is much higher (especially the Read speed) I thought maybe I can try some drivers to improve the SSD speed on the Asus laptop.

I tried all these (1 by 1, followed by PC restart):
- CPU Hotfix\WINDOWSXP-KB896256-V3-X86.EXE
- Intel(R) ICH7-M Family Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4
- Intel(R) 82801 PCI Bridge - 2448
- Mobile Intel(R) 945GM/GU/PM/GMS/940GML/943GML and Intel(R) 945GT Express Processor to DRAM Controller - 27A0
- Mobile Intel(R) 945GM/GU/PM/GMS/940GML/943GML and Intel(R) 945GT Express PCI Express Root Port - 27A1
- Intel(R) ICH7M/U LPC Interface Controller - 27B9
But the SSD speed was same.
Maybe that's the max speed for this CPU, not sure.

Which driver do you suggest I try in order to improve the SSD speed on the Asus laptop?

Edited by we3fan

9 hours ago, we3fan said:

This will probably not work, but - Will BIOS update make it support 4GB RAM?

The main target of updating BIOS is supporting Core2 Duo. I'm not so sure about 4GB RAM. I remember that some notebooks from same era (and same chipset) did need BIOS update to support 4GB ram. Specifically Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Xi1546 was the same model as some Alienware notebook (just different logos, stickers and BIOS). So Fujitsu-Siemens BIOS was stuck at 2GB max, but updating to Alienware BIOS there was 4GB RAM unlocked possibility, which was comical.

But  i see no evidence that BIOS update will bring you 4GB possibility. However it will unlock much faster 64-bit Core2Duo.

I update BIOS on many things including: notebooks, All-in-One computers, motherboards, SSD, and even DVD-RAM drives! So my experience is telling me to save your current bios, so, maybe, you could return to it, if new bios will be worse to you. You can use bios saving and update programs, my favorite from that era is WinFlash 1.94 - i saved many old bioses (and returned to them) using that program. I don't know if it compatible to your notebook, cause it have AMI bios, you can Check Soggi's archive about updating bios on vintage systems.

I found topic about your laptop: Official S96S Owners Lounge  as you can see on link not everyone like BIOS update, cause it make notebook more noisy (probably more aggressive fan settings, cause Core2Duo is more hot then it predecessor). I recommend to read that topic - maybe you will find something interesting. 

When I saw that the SSD speed on the HP laptop is much higher (especially the Read speed) I thought maybe I can try some drivers to improve the SSD speed on the Asus laptop.

Even that you bring speed results in text which is hard for me to decode (i asked screens). It is obvious to me that ASUS laptop work with SSD in SATA-1 (150) mode, while HP Win7 laptop run in full speed in SATA-2 (300) mode. I have similar problems on my nForce 4 system which is also SATA-2 system, but in my case refuse to work with HDD in SATA-2 mode, even after i install native nvidia drivers. So i have NCQ, but not SATA-2. I never manage to solve this problem. Maybe in your BIOS there is a switch to SATA-2 mode? Maybe it will be after BIOS update?

Which driver do you suggest I try in order to improve the SSD speed on the Asus laptop?

I suggest just install all drivers for your Intel motherboard in usual auto mode and not install them manually. Just run installation program and let it install automatically.

Edited by Rod Steel

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, great info as always.

I see some of the Fujitsu owners with 945PM Chipset who achieved 4GB RAM had BIOS: Alienware 1.19w and Alienware 2.07W .
And there is always the possibility that it will still not detect 4GB RAM.
Of course the main reason for BIOS update is the Core 2 Duo.
I will check Soggi's archive to find compatible program for my AMI BIOS. And I will first make a backup of my current BIOS if I decide to update it.
Is Alienware a modded BIOS? Is it installed the same way as normal BIOS update?

Yes, some S96S owners were complaining that the fan was ON more often after BIOS update.
My laptop model is S96J, I don't know it that makes any difference.
S96S came out 1 year later, and (according to the review) it originally shipped with Core 2 Duo and had nVIDIA GeForce 8600 GS, as opposed to my model S96J which has ATI Mobility X1600.
I also noticed that many S96S owners said that their nVIDIA GeForce 8600 GS failed after some time, so I consider myself lucky in that regard.
If I update my BIOS normally from the official ASUS website, but I still use my old Core Duo T2500 CPU, do you think it will still make the fan turn ON more often?

Unfortunately, there is no switch for SATA-2 mode in my laptop BIOS. After BIOS update maybe there will be, not sure.
I will try to find the right driver.
The reason for SATA-1 limitation on my ASUS laptop is probably my current configuration and driver.
If I try 10 different SSD brands with my current configuration and driver, they will show roughly the same speed?

Edited by we3fan