What do we even do at this point?

sunryze

11 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Isn't there a chance to check how they work before the purchase ? I mean, switch them on in the shop ? Or look at the same model from the shelf ? I'm sorry, I don't know about this process in poor countries. 

It's quite impossible to do it in my country. Computers are left turned off in stores with no permission to turn them on. Most people buy by the web, but the issue in the keyboard mic and other parts usually appears a year or so after, where warranty simply is not covered by Lenovo without paying. It simply happens because of windows 10 updates breaking drivers. Lenovo admitted the issue but is not really interesting in doing anything. in fact, they have the backing to do so because people simply buy without any research the cheapest computer they can or do not understand they don't need to use the latest windows to make the laptop work. I use one on win7 and no issues whatsoever.

On 2/5/2022 at 5:22 AM, D.Draker said:

Seems like an impossible quest . So far, I had found only one heavily used (the owner is a huge fan of furmark and 100% fan speeds). He wants me to pay 220 Euro . The black variant is very rare here , unlike the X one. Is it worth it ? Thanks.

As far as whether or not it would be worth it, I think that would depend on your priorities. You said you have a 980 right now, right? The TITAN Black won't be as powerful as that card, but it is the most powerful card that supports CSAA. Best I can advise is, compare the performance in those user benchmarks: would you be willing to take the performance hit for CSAA, especially at €220?

Vintage gaming can get pricey when you've got a specific goal in mind, I've found. I'd mentioned wanting to build my own C64, but if I were to do that, I'd probably wind up paying the inflation-adjusted equivalent of a brand new C64 from 1982. (Which I think is, what, $1,700+ now?)

I don't know how shipping and customs would affect the price, but maybe it might be worth checking international listings on eBay. I just checked and saw someone from Georgia (the U.S. state, not the country, that is) selling a TITAN Black for $189 (€166.61 at the moment). Granted, there's only three hours left on that one, but still.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Realistically, we're just going to have to do the following:

• Stick with Windows XP/Vista/7/8.1 on low-end hardware
    • If Chromium or modern web browsers become unusable, simply dual-boot a Linux distro like ZorinOS (I personally use Mint Linux)
  • Purchase an SSD on a higher-end PC and install Windows 10/11
    • Strip-down Windows 10 and customize it
      • If you gotta, replace its system shell and explorer with a third party one. The majority of Windows 10's built-in components (image viewer, media player, etc.) are bloated and inefficient.
    • Windows 10 LTSC IoT versions will actually be supported until 2032 at minimum (according to wikipedia), so I think there's a bit of relief for all of us
    • At this point, I personally prefer 10 over 11. Windows 10 at least does not get rid of the Windows UX we love it for.

I smell a potential lawsuit towards Microsoft for abandoning Windows 10. They've literally made computers from the past 15 years unusable and are adding onto electronic waste. Even our archaic Windows 98 computers can still be made useful in 2023 if given a right Linux OS.

22 minutes ago, FantasyAcquiesce said:

Realistically, we're just going to have to do the following:

• Stick with Windows XP/Vista/7/8.1 on low-end hardware
    • If Chromium or modern web browsers become unusable, simply dual-boot a Linux distro like ZorinOS (I personally use Mint Linux)
  • Purchase an SSD on a higher-end PC and install Windows 10/11
    • Strip-down Windows 10 and customize it
      • If you gotta, replace its system shell and explorer with a third party one. The majority of Windows 10's built-in components (image viewer, media player, etc.) are bloated and inefficient.
    • Windows 10 LTSC IoT versions will actually be supported until 2032 at minimum (according to wikipedia), so I think there's a bit of relief for all of us
    • At this point, I personally prefer 10 over 11. Windows 10 at least does not get rid of the Windows UX we love it for.

I smell a potential lawsuit towards Microsoft for abandoning Windows 10. They've literally made computers from the past 15 years unusable and are adding onto electronic waste. Even our archaic Windows 98 computers can still be made useful in 2023 if given a right Linux OS.

I agree with this as long as there's hardware that can run windows 10 (which is quite a bit then we should start giving windows 10 the vista treatment and make an extended kernal or something similer to keep it going after 2025

im on windows 10 now and it's actually pretty good once you get the few annoyances figured out I even got defender removed and it work great and I plan to stay on windows 10 for as long as microsoft allowes me to keep running it

• 1 year later...
On 12/22/2021 at 2:32 PM, Dixel said:

I'm just sitting here and patiently waiting for (at least) 40 years for a German OS to arrive ...

That's exactly what I wanted, too, but in terms of our British OS. I've always wondered why we still don't have a widely accepted OS. Thanks for the idea, a German OS also looks like a brilliant idea! I'm perfectly aware of our British Raspberry Pi by the Raspberry Pi Foundation, but what I want is a full alternative to Windows.

• 3 weeks later...

the best thing we could do is just sit here and hope that some magically perfect os appears to overtake windows dominance in the world ive actually been using linux full time for over a year now and its actually been pretty good 

Edited by legacyfan

On 12/17/2021 at 8:01 AM, sunryze said:

Windows 10 sucks and continues to suck and same as Windows 11 and its spiral out of control. I had hope but was demonstrated the second time that hope doesn't matter. I hate 10 and I hate 11, Linux never clicks in for me and macOS is not possible. What do I even do? I just want to use my computer and not have to think about how the OS I am using sucks so much. I have somewhat considered just stripping the hell out of 1607 or something, installing that on every computer I have and just leaving it like that forever. I just know that may not be practical... What do you guys suggest as an OS that works, is somewhat supported, isn't from a while ago and isn't hell to use?

I don‘t think Windows 10 sucks. It rightfully earned its place as the most used OS. I switched to 10 in 2018, although I was a diehard Windows 8.1 fan (as most of you know ;) ). It‘s always the same with every iteration of Windows. 
1) A new Windows is released

2) We try it out for a few days but ultimately refuse to accept change

3) We switch back to the older OS on our current hardware

4) At some point we buy new hardware, which is often incompatible with that specific older OS and start to adapt and like the new version

5) Repeat

Speaking of myself obviously. I switched when 1803 was out, made some adjustments to privacy setzings and installed VMWare for older OS tests. Back in 2014 my first Laptop (ASUS F751MA) came preinstalled with 8.1 and I hated it. However, Asus already had a BIOS block for Windows 7 and downwards. I remeber testing it like crazy but the first build to work was an early Windows 8.0 Preview (8400). I had no alternative, started using 8.1 and loved it till buying a new one with 10 preinstalled in 2018.

To conclude, most OS were demolished by critics but none of them (XP-11) is unusable. It‘s a process of adaption if there are no hardware related issues

Edited by yoltboy01

4 hours ago, legacyfan said:

the best thing we could do is just sit here and hope that some magically perfect os appears to overtake windows dominance in the world ive actually been using linux full time for over a year now and its actually been pretty good 

There is an interesting invention called the smartphone, and they generally do not run Windows. (Mine runs iOS.)

just found this the other day regarding to Modern Operating systems:

youtu .be/ YGRbT5nQM58

by YT user Jody Bruchon

Microsoft has never made a Windows OS that is superior to Windows 2000. It pre-dates all of the Themes/Desktop Window Manager/Aero graphics bloat of XP and later. It provided a "flat interface" far better than that of Windows 8 and 10. The Start menu was a straightforward, predictable, out-of-the-way cascading system that could be reliably used with keyboard shortcuts. Visual effects for window movement and progress indication were fast, minimal, and low in "visual noise." The instability of Windows 95, 98, Me, and even NT 4.0 weren't brought into 2000. Windows had borders. Clickable elements had proper affordances, unlike many of the Windows 8+ visual elements and settings panels that have little or no indication of what's clickable and what's not. Scrollbars had good contrast and reasonable handle size, making targeting them easy, unlike every "modern" OS in existence today that uses skinny, low-contrast, auto-hiding scrollbars. Resource requirements for the core OS were minimal and Win2k by itself was very fast and responsive.

About the only complaints about Windows 2000 that I can think of today are all based on features and hardware support that didn't exist when it came out, but that's hard to fault the OS for since such features could have been added had it contined to be developed. Device Manager didn't support recursive scanning of directories for compatible drivers until Vista. Window snapping and tiling are features I sorely miss when sitting down at a 2000 or XP machine today. The Windows+X menu may be the most useful thing to come out of Windows 8. USB 2.0 support was added in Win2k Service Pack 4, but USB 3.0 support is non-existent without some hacking that involves putting XP components into 2000 and using third-party kernel extensions (KernelEx) made by some amazing dedicated retrocomputing hackers.

__

And make sure you read this comment too (by YT user Shock_Treatment):

This is going to be a long, ranty comment. I'd love to have a modern operating system that's fast, non-intrusive, doesn't spy on you, doesn't have tons of bloatware and adware, does what you want it to do, and with no fluff. I do actually like more modern looks a little, but I don't want anything that's over the top. A simple gradient is pretty nice, but a lot of the modern operating systems look kind of good and bad at the same time to me. I'm not sure what it is. I think it's that I like dark mode and a sleek look, but some of the icons and layouts just are very odd looking and can be confusing, like the Windows 8 start menu, and the Windows 10 start menu to a lesser effect. The dark theme also doesn't carry over to every aspect in Windows, which just makes it seem half-assed.

These modern systems are just so difficult to navigate sometimes, and these OS makers are shifting things all over the place, renaming things, moving things around, and hiding familiar things for no good reason other than to look new. Why does everything have to be updated just for the sake of being new with little to no new functionality? These operating systems also give off a sort of childish appearance, as if the operating system were just a toy meant to teach children how it works. 

I'd like an operating system where everything is literally at your fingertips, and navigation just makes sense instead of having to click a million times to get somewhere. It seems like modern operating systems like to make you go all over to find something simple, like how in Windows 11 you can't easily get to the devices and printers section of the control panel without it taking you to the printer page in settings first. I think OS makers (especially Microsoft) have just gotten out of touch with their audience, or maybe it's that the audience has gotten so dumb that they'll just consume whatever garbage the OS makers produce without protest. An operating system should be about exactly what Jody said. It should be simple to use, fast, out of the way, and just let the user do what they need to get done. Now it's the opposite of that. At every turn it's bitching at you about something, like your carbon footprint, how you're almost forced to have a Microsoft account now, or how it adds all of these unnecessary apps where some are impossible to uninstall without breaking the system, like that god awful "Get Started" one in Windows 11. I don't want that trash. I should be able to choose what programs run on my system. The only ones I want preinstalled are the ones that are necessary for the functionality of the system. That's it.

Society has definitely changed for the worse, I think, and I'm not even that old (mid 20s), yet it seems like everything has gotten worse. Nobody repairs stuff anymore, companies also make it as hard as they can to repair stuff, everything is cheap and made to break, Big Tech is out to steal all of your data and control everything you do, and everybody just puts up with it. It's awful. That's why I'm sure we'll never get that modern dream OS. There's nothing in it for the corporations by catering to the customers. They have their base and market share already, and they know they can get away with nearly anything. I can tell you though, if such a perfect system did exist, I'd be willing to pay thousands for it (as long as it was a permanent, one-time purchase like the old days when you could buy a physical copy off the shelf and use it forever). I can't stand subscription services, and I have no doubt Windows will end up that way sometime soon.

I guess that's the end of my rant. I'd be surprised if anybody read it all, but I don't really care. It was mostly just so I could get some of the annoyance out of my system.

Edited by sonyu

Bet they wouldn't like Linux either (or some other Unix-like OS). But what else is there?

I know, throwing the computer out the window!

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2024 at 5:43 PM, yoltboy01 said:

I don‘t think Windows 10 sucks. It rightfully earned its place as the most used OS. I switched to 10 in 2018, although I was a diehard Windows 8.1 fan (as most of you know ;) ). It‘s always the same with every iteration of Windows. 
1) A new Windows is released

2) We try it out for a few days but ultimately refuse to accept change

3) We switch back to the older OS on our current hardware

4) At some point we buy new hardware, which is often incompatible with that specific older OS and start to adapt and like the new version

5) Repeat

Speaking of myself obviously. I switched when 1803 was out, made some adjustments to privacy setzings and installed VMWare for older OS tests. Back in 2014 my first Laptop (ASUS F751MA) came preinstalled with 8.1 and I hated it. However, Asus already had a BIOS block for Windows 7 and downwards. I remeber testing it like crazy but the first build to work was an early Windows 8.0 Preview (8400). I had no alternative, started using 8.1 and loved it till buying a new one with 10 preinstalled in 2018.

To conclude, most OS were demolished by critics but none of them (XP-11) is unusable. It‘s a process of adaption if there are no hardware related issues

2 years later, my opinions have changed,

I do agree with your points. I went over to 11 last year when 21H2 went end of life.

To be honest, what we do at this point is to just adapt. Nothing stays the same forever. Of course, any OS is perfectly usable; the original Macintosh is usable. It all depends on what YOU need.

Edited by sunryze

On 3/17/2024 at 11:21 AM, UCyborg said:

Bet they wouldn't like Linux either (or some other Unix-like OS). But what else is there?

I know, throwing the computer out the window!

that would just make the problem worse and cause more e-waste everywhere using linux would be the better as well as greener choice

Edited by legacyfan