What do we even do at this point?

sunryze

20 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

I also won't ignore how I reinstalled Windows 80 times in one year.

I've had SATURDAY'S where I'll install Windows TWO DOZEN TIMES.

I do a completely unattended install with a very large number of AutoIt executables and the best way to fully test is to "fully test".

The full install on an XP x86 SP3 only takes about 40 minutes whereas an XP x64 SP2 takes closer to 70 minutes.

It's actually kinda fun to watch.  Mouse moving around unattended, program file locations typing themselves unattended, programs opening and moving to a different monitor then closing so that their last position is memorized so that they open on the correct monitor when I go to use the program (all six of my computers have anywhere from 2 to 5 monitors, none of them only have one), mouse wheel and buttons configures unattended, desktop icon locations set unattended, EVERYTHING that has a setting is pre-set for me, fully automated!

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

2 - Doesn't mean they work on XP . For example, DOA 5 wants DX9.0C but still won't start on XP.

Looks like that one is from 2015. I meant to refer to games in XP's heyday.

2 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Hate to say it, I actually did better before I did that damn upgrade from DX8 ... I tried everything to "revert' back and couldn't so I just live with it. 8 was more stable than 9 and without question faster on my system.

Do you use pre-SP2 Windows XP? SP2 comes with DX 9.0c.

With only 3GB or RAM (one 500 MB stick is going bad, so sometimes error ciy) and a hard drive with countless UNcorrectable errors bad sectors, I'm lucky I'm even able to do this much lol

Sounds like your PC is really coming apart. Assuming motherboard is still OK, it might still last for a while with replacement RAM/HDD.

To tell you the truth, I'm not too keen on looking for old compatible RAM for my PC, though a 4 GB -> 8 GB upgrade would be nice.

Hehe ..The GMA 3000 was a mobile integrated graphics solution by Intel, launched on June 1st, 2006.

GMA was the first series that came to my mind. I once tried gaming with Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 integrated on ASRock P4i65G, mission impossible.

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

On the bright side: Imagine when I'm old and grey (almost there) and "they" go through my life's history and "they" are scrutinizing every little thing I've done and written. My word ... how pathetic would they be, they only conclusion to be assumed after all is 'said and done' and I'm in a better place, is:

Now that was a one sick pup :buehehe:

You imagine "they"'ll bother? :w00t:

On 12/19/2021 at 3:05 PM, TrevMUN said:

There was a reason I had mentioned the kernel extension projects. The group working on OneCore API has had success getting the XP family of OSes to run DirectX 10 games. There's a few other screenshots like that on their site.

I would have given OneCore API a spin already, but before I do that I plan on backing up my system just in case.

And to be clear, I don't doubt that getting Cyberpunk to run on XP would be a tall order. It's not very high on my list of priorities, but hey; apparently CDPR provided some assistance to Windows 7 users wanting to run the game, even though 7 doesn't have DX12 support. It would be an interesting challenge to see if some combination of these tricks could pull it off.

I remember when all those talks about porting DX10 to XP started . Fifteen years ago. We shall be in our late 50s or 60s in another 15 years . 

So , yeah , why not , let's wait another 15 years for nothing . Please remind me in another 15 years .

On 12/19/2021 at 9:01 PM, Tonny52 said:

I switched over to 10 before I had the correct judgement on making a decision. And even now, I still don't have that judgement. This whole post is to mainly discuss what options people have if they don't like Windows 10, or are confused on the decisions they previously made.

I want to be different than people, but I also don't at the same time. I think that what I have doesn't work, or doesn't do what I need it to do. I overthink what I am supposed to use as an OS, making it seem like its a bigger deal than it actually is. It is just an operating system, and I am making a big deal about it.

I also won't ignore how I reinstalled Windows 80 times in one year.

There aren't lots of options . And I'd suggest avoiding Linux at all costs . Like @Mr.Scienceman2000 wisely admitted , you'll just switch to another master and I agree . I'm also a gamer , but I try to stay with Vista . The experience is very good so far . Also , don't waste time on XP , there's nothing to gain  for you there at all , should be obvious.

Win 7 vs. Vista - Vista is the clear winner in speed and quality (sound , rendering and even HD playback). Now you wrote you have GTX970 , I can suggest some very good Vista drivers.

On 12/20/2021 at 8:04 PM, UCyborg said:

GMA was the first series that came to my mind. I once tried gaming with Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 integrated on ASRock P4i65G, mission impossible.

try to do it on original Extremely (slow) graphics on Pentium 3. I have done it and GMA felt godlike even it sucked badly in comparisation. 

21 hours ago, Dixel said:

There aren't lots of options . And I'd suggest avoiding Linux at all costs . Like @Mr.Scienceman2000 wisely admitted , you'll just switch to another master and I agree

What I mean here is not use Linux on anything but not take linux as magical soluction to all of your issues. I am using Linux for some tasks but for most Windows with it software is just so good. I do not understand why I or anyone else should go full linux instead trying get more life out of older OS. You cant live totally using only so called "free software" and many so called "free software" like firefox spies on you as much as propieraty ones.

21 hours ago, Dixel said:

I'm also a gamer , but I try to stay with Vista . The experience is very good so far . Also , don't waste time on XP , there's nothing to gain  for you there at all , should be obvious.

Win 7 vs. Vista - Vista is the clear winner in speed and quality (sound , rendering and even HD playback). Now you wrote you have GTX970 , I can suggest some very good Vista drivers.

I gotta agree on there. For "modern" use vista is bare minium. I can get most out of XP since 99% of my games are dx9 or lower and few are on my original Xbox, but if you want compatibility with newer applications Vista is way to go.

P.S I have tried 980ti on Vista with inf modded driver and it worked flawlessly

On 12/20/2021 at 12:51 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

The full install on an XP x86 SP3 only takes about 40 minutes...

Those were the days. Windows 98SE took even less, usually around 30 minutes. Now just installing a Windows 10 cumulative patch takes at least that long. Yesterday when installing December's patch I was able to get some coffee and lunch and do other chores and when returning the installation bar was still only a quarter way. It makes me wonder exactly what Microsoft is doing to this computer.

My fully unattended install basically takes three steps  --  1) Windows XP with slipstreamed updates and signed drivers,  2) nLite's GuiRunOnce list of .exe's,  then 3) a dozen and a half or so AutoIt .exe's.

If I recall,  Step 1 takes ~20 minutes,  Step 2 takes ~10 minutes,  and Step 3 takes ~10 minutes.  So XP by itself is really only ~20 minutes.

I personally avoid ALL updates on my Win10.
I use 2016 LTSB on a Dell Latitude E5470 with an i5-6300U @ 2.4 GHz with 8.0 GB RAM and this laptop has NEVER been updated and NEVER will.
I personally feel more "secure" NOT letting the laptop ever "see" a Microsoft/Windows Update.

That's one of two "dedicated" Win10s (the other being a garage computer used for nothing other than a media jukebox).
The other laptop is a triple-boot XP/7/10 but I can't recall the last time I've ever booted into anything other than XP.
All three of my desktop PCs run XP and XP alone (one x64 SP2, two x86 SP3).

These days I avoid updating monthly, usually it's about every 3 or 4 months so maybe that's why it takes so long to patch. I rarely use Windows 10 anyway and from what I can tell Win11 is even worse. I actually have more pleasure working in XP with older software, you could do more and it was easier. For example, the Nero version 7.7.5.1 is perfect for encoding DVD to MP4 and it doesn't install in Win7+.   

I do actually like working around with Windows 2000 and XP vms. Interesting to see what software I can get working and its really fun when it does. Same with Vista. Issue with using them as my main OS is that hardware doesn't work with it.

I use VirtualBox version 4.3.28.  I can't recall if there was a specific reason for using that version, but I tend to operate that way, I don't doubt that I selected it for a reason, just don't recall it offhand.

All legally owned, during college days the bookstore sold all Microsoft products for $5 with student ID, here are the "size" of all of my VMs, kinda tells you how "bloated" Operating Systems have become -

Win 3.1  ==  20 MB
Win 3.11  ==  78 MB
Win 98SE  ==  218 MB
Win NT4  ==  236 MB
Win 2000  ==  578 MB
Win XP x86 SP3  ==  635 MB
Win 2003  ==  1.07 GB
Win XP x64 SP2  ==  1.12 GB
Win 7 x86 Enterprise  ==  1.28 GB
Win 10 x86 LTSB 2016  ==  1.84 GB
Win 7 x86 (default install, no customization to install media)  ==  3.08 GB
Win 10 x64 (default install, no customization to install media)  ==  4.55 GB
Win 7 x64 (default install, no customization to install media)  ==  5.04 GB

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

Everyone else talkin about Windows NT 4.0 and XP meanwhile I mainly used 7 back when I was younger. Never ever used Vista or older in my life as my main OS.

Also, I am going to mention more why I made this thread. I was reading more and more about Win10 and Win11, and essentially it goes as right now I am mentally challenged with Microsoft and computers in general.

I've learned more about the Windows 10+ Keylogger, the fact that diagnostic information is sent every 15 minutes, and also more of the fact that people who care about telemetry, and don't want to have to participate in such a high level of it, are slowly dwindling out. Only the hardcore ppl who use XP, hell even 95, are left. The fact is, I am stuck with modern versions of Windows whether I like it or not. My hardware requires that. I want to switch to something like 7 or 8.1, maybe even Linux, but the reason I haven't is because I don't want to change. I hate change. I've gotten used to 10, but the issue is you know, when you used something for so long, that when you realized how horrible it was, you had mixed feelings? "Well yes, I hate it, but what can I even do about it?" There isn't much I as a person can do about the MSFT telemetry and privacy problems. Switching to Linux or an older version of Windows is possible, but then I lose out on things that I loved about Windows. I love how well Windows works with hardware. I love how well it works with 3rd party software. But I hate how itself works. I can stand Windows 10. I can handle it. The problem is, I am afraid that one day ill move on up to Windows 11 and be even more down the privacy rabbit hole where I have no privacy at all. Windows brings all these amazing features like Miracast (which I use) and the hardware support with my computers, so giving up on all that could be a pretty big problem to me. Linux can do that, and it can do all that well, but my problem with THAT is that to do ANYTHING like that with Linux, you need to install 50 different programs, set them up, and then they don't work because you're on the wrong distro or the wrong kernel version. Reinstall to the correct one, and then behold, the program doesn't work at ALL for a reason no one knows why. You make a post about it and people try to help as much as they can, and you end up having to fill in a support ticket on the github which hasn't been updated in years. That has been a good chunk of my Linux experience. So Linux would have been possible if I only browsed the web and played occasional games, plus didn't care about the small issues, but I do now. That is why I have been using 10. I have forgotten about the privacy issues because I got used to it. Now, I don't know what to do. I have time before 2025, but everything with what I should do is just a big IDK. I tried iOS out for a year and went back to Android recently, but now I am concerned that Android isn't really private either. Kind of wish I could just not care.

Sorry for dumping such a huge comment here. Just needed to get that out of my mind.

Edited by Tonny52

All fine.

Long term analysis? If you give old Windows a chance, you can use your systems until... that hardware becomes so retro that it hurts?

How many years to estimate... my Windows 98 and Windows XP computers here in operation are reliable despite being 20 years old. Will the current hardware last that long? Some current computers surely will. Anyways, no drama if a computer dies, you build up experience with a certain OS and carry that onto the next hardware. If you're heading for XP and 7, that's affordable for super scrap prices now. And probably in the next 10 years too.

With that, you could live for a veeeeery long time without needing a change.

But again, expectations have to be in control. The old stuff doesn't get quicker, but default resolutions of pictures and videos will grow (because people are wasteful with their kilobytes). Maybe you'll have to tweak with the settings of your camera a bit to use it on an old computer.

Why not use Linux for the tasks only, where it's good at?
No, @Dixel, please don't get angry now, because there are at least some tasks where Linux is superior to the old Windows, like current web browsing, the powerful command line and virus protection for example.

Options! Options! Options! We need options on the table!

4 computers here around the working desk. One to the left, one to the right, one below the table board and one netbook on top of the table. A multi-boot and multi-core (7 cores in total) setup. But I prefer connecting the desktops all to one screen with a KVM switch, also to have one keyboard and mouse lying on the table.

Tonny, you are asking the right critical questions about the way, that computers have developed. Congratulations. (I wish I was that far with 15...)

3 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

No, @Dixel, please don't get angry now

Me angry ? Gosh no ! I'm a very calm person. I'm just sitting here and patiently waiting for (at least) 40 years for a German OS to arrive ...

What , no ? Still no ?