What do we even do at this point?

sunryze

6 hours ago, Dixel said:

It seems you already decided to stay on Win10 long time ago and no matter what , so what's the point ? 

I switched over to 10 before I had the correct judgement on making a decision. And even now, I still don't have that judgement. This whole post is to mainly discuss what options people have if they don't like Windows 10, or are confused on the decisions they previously made.

I want to be different than people, but I also don't at the same time. I think that what I have doesn't work, or doesn't do what I need it to do. I overthink what I am supposed to use as an OS, making it seem like its a bigger deal than it actually is. It is just an operating system, and I am making a big deal about it.

I also won't ignore how I reinstalled Windows 80 times in one year.

Edited by Tonny52

20 hours ago, Dixel said:

Trolling lvl 168 . I'm sure you know Cyberpunk 2077 is directx12 only , not to mention it's buggy as hell. And XP is what , 9.0b maximum ? Or smth like that.

This is the latest directx I could get on my xp system?

9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Most games don't work at all. 

spacer.png

This might sound silly to some but my way of getting around the frustration of these OSs is to multiple boot. I've got W2k, XP, Win7, Win10 and alternate between them depending on what I want to do. I'm thinking of installing a Linux version as well. Most of the time however it's still Win 7, I see it as a workable bridge between the useful XP and the newer, more intrusive and less customizable OSs that Microsoft has been spitting out. 

11 hours ago, Tonny52 said:

I also won't ignore how I reinstalled Windows 80 times in one year.

Wow, and I thought I was crazy when I re-installed XP maybe a bit over 5 times (going from fading memories here) in one of those years. It was me messing around with things I shouldn't, plus the old SP1 era language pack + updates didn't play well all the time and I remember the obscure glitch at some point when clicking Effects... button in Display Properties on Appearance tab just didn't do anything. Possibly flaky hardware as well.

Does 10 activate legitimately in such case? XP was really anal about it (probably should say activation server, but the point remains) and refused it due to it being done too many times, had to look for a bypass to be able to use it.

8 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

This is the latest directx I could get on my xp system?

9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Most games don't work at all. 

There are countless games from the era that work with DX9. Of course, you need something better than Intel GMA!

Edited by UCyborg

7 hours ago, UCyborg said:

1 - Wow, and I thought I was crazy when I re-installed XP maybe a bit over 5 times

2 - There are countless games from the era that work with DX9. 

1 - Yesterday it was 452 , YES , 452 !!! Then he edited the post . Why ? Don't want to make any assumptions , but it looks like someone's just seeking for attention .

But for quite some time MSFN logs our activity with a new keylogger (yes!) , so it's all in their logs forever.

2 - Doesn't mean they work on XP . For example, DOA 5 wants DX9.0C but still won't start on XP.

50 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

But for quite some time MSFN logs our activity with a new keylogger (yes!) , so it's all in their logs forever.

There is a keylogger for the sake of restoring typed content.  Some users may see that as a "pro" and not a "con".  I'm with D.Draker and see it as a "con".

BUT even so, I can only prove that the keylogger is LOCAL, I cannot prove that MSFN is storing this log forever.

Even if so, I kinda don't care.  Why?  Because if I have the reply box OPEN and I'm TYPING in that reply box, those are the ONLY keys being logged, and I'm about to POST it anyway.

So what if the "log" show a TYPO that I had to backspace over and there may be a DELAY before the typo is corrected.

Point is, this "keylogger" only logs the reply box.  And anything beyond that "could" be considered conspiracy theory.

I agree with D.Draker that we don't need this keylogger.  But it's only logging this reply.  It's not like I open the reply box, type profanities for the keylogger to log, then close the log without submitting those profanities.

I only use the reply box for content that I'm in-process of submtting to the forum.  Like I'm about to do as soon as I scroll the submit button into view...

20 hours ago, UCyborg said:

There are countless games from the era that work with DX9. Of course, you need something better than Intel GMA!

Oh, I know that. This is mostly factory original hardware here, would you believe that. I'm afraid to remove anything as the parts are likely rusted in place. Sometimes I shake my head. I do miss those games from that era, but new games just are too big now :)

Hate to say it, I actually did better before I did that damn upgrade from DX8 ... I tried everything to "revert' back and couldn't so I just live with it. 8 was more stable than 9 and without question faster on my system.

One 1 GB Stick in slot 1

One 500 MB Stick in slot 2

One 500 MB Stick (going bad) in slot 3

With only 3GB or RAM (one 500 MB stick is going bad, so sometimes error ciy) and a hard drive with countless UNcorrectable errors bad sectors, I'm lucky I'm even able to do this much lol

untitled_sal.JPG.64ab32179fc329ebf82a94c94d5a4e71.JPG

Hehe ..The GMA 3000 was a mobile integrated graphics solution by Intel, launched on June 1st, 2006.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gma-3000.c3119

Edited by XPerceniol

13 hours ago, D.Draker said:

2 - Doesn't mean they work on XP . For example, DOA 5 wants DX9.0C but still won't start on XP.

Hello there; D..

I know this is off topic and I did a search 2 times on the search box to try to find relevant information using the search terms *revert dx* *revert direct x* and only very old threads. I've looked up information on the new and tried the reg trick to get the installer to think dx9 isn't installed so it will ask for the recovery disk - that didn't work at all.

Do you by any chance know how to revert back to older direct x? Oh, and, things actually just got worse when some posready patches were done to dx9. Ugh

Thank you in advance.

PS: This does not work.

https://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/how-can-i-uninstall-directx-9/

Edited by XPerceniol

3 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Hello there; D..

I know this is off topic and I did a search 2 times on the search box to try to find relevant information using the search terms *revert dx* *revert direct x* and only very old threads. I've looked up information on the new and tried the reg trick to get the installer to think dx9 isn't installed so it will ask for the recovery disk - that didn't work at all.

Do you by any chance know how to revert back to older direct x? Oh, and, things actually just got worse when some posready patches were done to dx9. Ugh

Thank you in advance.

PS: This does not work.

https://www.instant-registry-fixes.org/how-can-i-uninstall-directx-9/

Hello there; X..

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-uninstall-directx-and-reinstall-to-repair-directx/

There's a tool provided, if you can't do it manually . I didn't use it myself , I don't usually install DX redist at all . 99% of games that I play run without it . It's because I'm on Vista.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

There is a keylogger for the sake of restoring typed content.

conspiracy theory

And how do you know this ? Was there a statement from MSFN employees ? We have to assume the worse case scenario , until proven otherwise , agree ?

"conspiracy theory" is a term invented by the FBI to mock people who tell the truth . I'm guessing in 2021 , when 99% of "conspiracy theories" became true you could just drop it , especially among us , privacy seekers , agree ?

Chips under human's skin is no longer a "conspiracy theory" . Depopulation and all of the globalists' agendas are also no longer conspiracy theories. REDS taking over America , etc . 

MSFN with their keylogger are just innocent lambs ....

30 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

And how do you know this ?

My view is that nefarious keyloggers will send data BEFORE we hit that "submit reply" button.

I've watched network packet traffic and I see no evidence of data being transferred WHILE our reply-box typing is being "logged".

And you can open that log WHILE typing in this reply box and see just what it logs.

I see nothing nefarious going on, just a "feature" that SOME will see as "value-add".

I would rather this reply-box NOT be logged AT ALL.

It was ME that reported this logging and I've seen ZERO people leave MSFN on account of it.

And I have no plans to leave on account of it either.

What you chose to do is totally up to you.

But I am convinced that we will NOT get MSFN to change their code just for OUR preference.

Nor should they, in my opinion.

I'm all for privacy and security, but I think way too many people use it as an excuse for paranoia.

And everybody's definition of "privacy", "security", and "paranoia" are DIFFERENT.

All we can do is do the talking with our FEET, to be perfectly honest.

I do that with Twitter and Facebook and 60% or so of Google (I do use some Google services).

Twitter and Facebook is blocked.

Oh, a lot of Yahoo is blocked also.

If I feel like MSFN becomes "nefarious", then my feet will walk.

In the meantime, it's all just "talk".

spacer.png

Ok .. I'm on VBulletin right now.

I'm typing and 2 minutes after and look on the bottom right, my text was "Auto Saved" (logging). The forum software is logging us, but do we know that is saved even though I just closed the page abruptly. did the forum log "lalalalalal" ? Perhaps so, but we trust the site we are on isn't dubious for bad purpose. I really think most sites do this logging or auto save and who knows if its saved in the database forever. Sad to say, I assume it is saved (our typing) somewhere and every keystroke was logged. Sorry, but I trust MSFN because they haven't given reason to believe otherwise.

Hope that at least eased your mind that this happens everywhere.

Edited by XPerceniol

"What do we even do at this point?"

Yeah, sometimes I question this myself.

On the bright side: Imagine when I'm old and grey (almost there) and "they" go through my life's history and "they" are scrutinizing every little thing I've done and written. My word ... how pathetic would they be, they only conclusion to be assumed after all is 'said and done' and I'm in a better place, is:

Now that was a one sick pup :buehehe: 

Edited by XPerceniol

Agreed!  Reply-box logging is done on pretty much every site with a reply box.

It's only when you see this type of logging being performed on username and password fields that you should tie your knickers into a knot.

But a reply box?  Who cares, in my view.  You wouldn't be IN the reply box if you didn't "support" the web site.  And the reply box isn't even there until AFTER you LOG IN.

If it truly concerns you, then I guess you're more than welcome to READ the content at MSFN, but you can't ADD content to MSFN.

I said 452 at the start because I was trying to remember how much it actually was. I checked my email and went by the amount of times that I was emailed from Steam saying I have logged into a new computer. I do that a lot, saying things are higher than they actually are. Blowing them out of proportions.

It probably has been 452, but not in one year, but more of maybe in the last decade. Win10 does still activate normally, though someone at MSFT probably thinks I am going crazy. I mainly keep reinstalling it because i'm like "oh but i want to use THIS" but then "this!!"; I can never make up my mind.

Oh yeah, upgrading your PC with Open Shell, uninstalling it, then rolling back bricks explorer. I've had this happen three times.