What do we even do at this point?

sunryze

Windows 10 sucks and continues to suck and same as Windows 11 and its spiral out of control. I had hope but was demonstrated the second time that hope doesn't matter. I hate 10 and I hate 11, Linux never clicks in for me and macOS is not possible. What do I even do? I just want to use my computer and not have to think about how the OS I am using sucks so much. I have somewhat considered just stripping the hell out of 1607 or something, installing that on every computer I have and just leaving it like that forever. I just know that may not be practical... What do you guys suggest as an OS that works, is somewhat supported, isn't from a while ago and isn't hell to use?

16 minutes ago, Tonny52 said:

What do you guys suggest as an OS that works, is somewhat supported, isn't from a while ago and isn't hell to use?

You said that Linux doesn't click in for you, but I'd recommend you to give Zorin OS 16 Core/Pro a try. I have been using it as my main OS for 3 months now and it is quite faster than Windows, safe, easy to use, easy to customize as per your liking, does not disturb you, while still being compatible with most Windows apps and games.  I use Office 2010, Adobe Audition 1.5, Adobe Flash CS6 Portable, Photoshop CS5 Full and Open Rails, all of which work near-perfectly. Check this video made by Christopher Barnatt from ExplainingComputers who reviews Zorin OS.

Edited by Win10-Hater

I have to say that I can do nothing as I am not you. You have to decide yourself what to do.

One thing I gotta say that dumbest possible thing to do is trying make yourself believe you only need "teh latest and (not always) greatest" and not look back to what works for you. Everyone seems to be falling for that and suffer from half assed systems. Also I do not know should I laugh or cry to those who want get rid of win10 since telemetry and go to spyware distro called ubuntu, install microsoft teams and all other spyware programs to it. You only changed your master that way.

I give you two example for more realistic soluctions:

Example 1

I personally banned Windoze 8+ on my personal network and any newer machine I service are only on my lab network which is behind different ip and network hardware. I installed Linux for dualboot on my notebook and on my desktop pc so can use it to do things Windows 7 can't do. I am running wide variety of operating systems on my network starting from Windows 3.11 for workgroups up to to Windows 7 and Linux and wont fall for "you can only use one os" meme.

Example 2

One of my friend who is network admin. He partially lifted Windows 10 ban as he needed it to play some newer titles. He is running Windows 10 on his main workstation and got second workstation running Windows 7 that he uses for any serious use since win10 keep hosing up according to him. He is also running older Windows versions and linux like me.

What distro I recommend now?

Well something that got all you need by default and at the point writing this Salix OS is that. It is very minimal and got that one program per purpose philosophy. Full install takes less than 3gb of hdd space and it got celluloid for video/dvd player, quod libet for audio player, firefox for browser etc. And if you need more programs there is graphical installer that will automatically do it for you without need for pulling hair or smashing keyboard. 

Even though it is one of few gem in linux distros I need to give it honest critic. They could have had included more privacy respecting browser than Firefox like GNU/Librewolf or Ungoogled Chromium, but maybe I am just nitpick there

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

Describe the tasks, that you expect your computer to do well.

Of course you'll have to shape your expectations somewhat around your OS. Brand new killer game performances on a Windows XP and Linux won't happen.

Is Windows 7 an option? Where do you bump into walls with that now, in 2021?

4 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

Brand new killer game performances

New games are simply not possible with his current hardware. I read the OP has GTX 1050 , which was too weak , even at launch . So I'd say win 7 is the max OS that could make sense.

His 6 year old low budget card , very similar to GT950 . Even GTX960 would be faster , esp. 4GB vesrions . And I have GTX980 , new titles don't run well . Poor FPS. Not pleasant at all.

Hell , not only new , I started to notice poor FPS in 2017-2018.

9 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

You said that Linux doesn't click in for you, but I'd recommend you to give Zorin OS 16 Core/Pro a try. I have been using it as my main OS for 3 months now and it is quite faster than Windows, safe, easy to use, easy to customize as per your liking, does not disturb you, while still being compatible with most Windows apps and games.  I use Office 2010, Adobe Audition 1.5, Adobe Flash CS6 Portable, Photoshop CS5 Full and Open Rails, all of which work near-perfectly. Check this video made by Christopher Barnatt from ExplainingComputers who reviews Zorin OS.

These thick fonts are for partially blind people ? 

42 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

New games are simply not possible with his current hardware. I read the OP has GTX 1050 , which was too weak , even at launch . So I'd say win 7 is the max OS that could make sense.

His 6 year old low budget card , very similar to GT950 . Even GTX960 would be faster , esp. 4GB vesrions . And I have GTX980 , new titles don't run well . Poor FPS. Not pleasant at all.

1050 was multimedia card. And any cards under 1070 kinda felt lame to me. There was better ones in older gen that worked with XP and vista offically. 980ti swept floor with 1060, 970 or 980 were faster than 1050 or 1050ti with same vram (outside 970 ram bug). 960 and 950 are comparable to 1050ti and 1050 but like said work on older windows too.

For free those cards are very good but if you paid from 1000 series under 1070 was waste of money

I was also wondering did OP actually bought core i7 and cheaped out gpu for 1050? Feels like buying ferrari with fiat punto engine.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

These thick fonts are for partially blind people ? 

The uploader of that video, Christopher Barnatt, had enabled fractional scaling on Zorin OS for the purpose of making things looking right on video, which is why the fonts became extra thick. Also, the default fonts can be changed.

(The less you knew)

Edited by Win10-Hater

4 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I was also wondering did OP actually bought core i7 and cheaped out gpu for 1050? Feels like buying ferrari with fiat punto engine.

Not enough Euros ?

4 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

1050 was multimedia card. And any cards under 1070 kinda felt lame to me. There was better ones in older gen that worked with XP and vista offically. 980ti swept floor with 1060, 970 or 980 were faster than 1050 or 1050ti with same vram (outside 970 ram bug). 960 and 950 are comparable to 1050ti and 1050 but like said work on older windows too.

For free those cards are very good but if you paid from 1000 series under 1070 was waste of money

You're absolutely right ! I'd say GTX780 Ti is even faster and it overclocked like hell ! All that new "low power" junk stuff is simply not made for good overclocking ! My prev. GTX780Ti was way more powerful than 980 , so my advice to the OP is to find it in a good condition to replace his GT1050 .

3 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I haven't built a PC outright. It has just been upgraded over time. I use a GTX 970 now (the 1050 Ti is in my server) but at the time in 2018 I got the 1050 Ti because I couldn't afford much and I needed something better than a HD 6850.

The i7 came around when I had a 5700 XT last year, but I sold that card expecting that cards would become easier to come by, thinking I would have made a profit. Fortunately, that was not the case and I am stuck with those two cards for the foreseeable future. It runs bad, but I'm used to it now. I dealt with that for 8 years.

10 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

The problem I have with Linux is that it does not feel like it has the UI effort that Windows barely has. Windows, still being a problem, for me feels more refined than a Linux DE like KDE, Gnome or these other derivatives of the main DEs. Plus, to do 50% of things, you need to go to the command line, and even then it takes a few hours to do. With Windows, I apply a registry key to map my user folders and thats it. Especially with how horrible NTFS support is on Linux (even with the new kernel driver in 5.15), by just shutting down the wrong way it gets marked as dirty and you need to boot into Windows to fix it without losing data.

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

At the time when I grabbed the 1050 Ti, it was miles ahead of my Radeon HD 6850 I was living with.

6 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

Describe the tasks, that you expect your computer to do well.

Of course you'll have to shape your expectations somewhat around your OS. Brand new killer game performances on a Windows XP and Linux won't happen.

Is Windows 7 an option? Where do you bump into walls with that now, in 2021?

I want the OS to just work and have support. I don't want to have to keep fixing problems that happen just because they can (which happens to me with Linux) and I don't want to have to jump through hoops just to make the OS not so spyware (which is Windows 10). I didn't mind 10 back then because I was younger and didn't think much of it. Nowadays, I wish I could just go back to 2015, and not switch to 10 the day it came out.

What I have been thinking of doing is just plopping LTSC on every system I have. Not sure what LTSC because 2015 is a big no no from support, 2016 has update problems, 2019 is slowly falling into purgatory with support, and 2021 is hardly considered LTSC. I don't mind the Semi Annual Channel releases, the support length is long enough for me, but I just wish that there was one out there that was super duper slimmed down but also not to the point where stuff stops working. Interestingly, when I ran 10 on a MSFT account, with all the stupid stuff turned on, I had no problems. I only had problems when I realized how horrible that all was and started saying no. And don't forget, I mentioned that NVIDIA support on Linux is still not working well for me.

If you want to know in particular what I use my PC for, I use it for web browsing, playing games (Undertale, BeamNG Drive, Minecraft, Roblox, Detroit, etc, nothing much thats AAA), Discord, sometimes recording screen, managing my servers, doing school work. I don't use it for extreme gaming or extreme productivity. My laptop cannot run Windows 7 or 8.1 well. Read bio for my specs.

Edited by Tonny52
posted too soon

35 minutes ago, Tonny52 said:

I want the OS to just work and have support. I don't want to have to keep fixing problems that happen just because they can (which happens to me with Linux) and I don't want to have to jump through hoops just to make the OS not so spyware (which is Windows 10). I didn't mind 10 back then because I was younger and didn't think much of it. Nowadays, I wish I could just go back to 2015, and not switch to 10 the day it came out.

unfortunately companies do not want to give you that as it would reduce their profit and change to milk off their users.

39 minutes ago, Tonny52 said:

If you want to know in particular what I use my PC for, I use it for web browsing, playing games (Undertale, BeamNG Drive, Minecraft, Roblox, Detroit, etc, nothing much thats AAA), Discord, sometimes recording screen, managing my servers, doing school work. I don't use it for extreme gaming or extreme productivity. My laptop cannot run Windows 7 or 8.1 well. Read bio for my specs.

I am playing Beamng on Windows 7 with Logitec wheel and have not had issues. I dumped discord long ago when it turned into nasty place. These days I am using Mumble or Teamspeak for voice comms and BBS/email for other comms.

Seems you are in school according what you said and I can say from experience that choosing what you will run as OS in college atleast can be hard. For me biggest issue was outlook web access school intra used and I needed intra to access any resources. It felt not work proper on anything. I actually had laptop I used exclusively for studies and had desktop machine at home for any personal work. Luckily those days are behind now.

Just don't give up using what you like just because someone told you to do so. I know it can be hard as young but do not let anyone tell you how to live. I did that mistake when was younger and it was bad idea but also learnt what I really wanted. Now I am running whatever I want and any critics saying it is stupid are redirected to special place called /dev/null.

1 hour ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

unfortunately companies do not want to give you that as it would reduce their profit and change to milk off their users.

I am playing Beamng on Windows 7 with Logitec wheel and have not had issues. I dumped discord long ago when it turned into nasty place. These days I am using Mumble or Teamspeak for voice comms and BBS/email for other comms.

Seems you are in school according what you said and I can say from experience that choosing what you will run as OS in college atleast can be hard. For me biggest issue was outlook web access school intra used and I needed intra to access any resources. It felt not work proper on anything. I actually had laptop I used exclusively for studies and had desktop machine at home for any personal work. Luckily those days are behind now.

Just don't give up using what you like just because someone told you to do so. I know it can be hard as young but do not let anyone tell you how to live. I did that mistake when was younger and it was bad idea but also learnt what I really wanted. Now I am running whatever I want and any critics saying it is stupid are redirected to special place called /dev/null.

I can probably use anything 1703 and newer. I don't like using 7 and 8.1 nowadays due to support and stuff, 1507, 1511 and 1607 have problems with me. I don't like explorer in 1709 and 1803. I don't entirely enjoy enablement packages. So that limits it to 1703, 1809, 1903, 2004, and ill add 21H2 into the mix. Linux is missing some useful features I use.

33 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

What I do is not let things I don't have direct control over consume my thoughts.

That is how I have been living with Win10 so far and have been considering moving up onto 11. Just don't think about the things that I don't like and everything will be fine...