z690 vcache protection error

FlameOnion

All these things don't matter because when you boot Win9x installed on USB stick it doesn't use any of the BIOS options regarding hard drives and Win9x uses the 16-bit compatibility mode to access the USB drive. The problem is NOT with the medium or its settings, but with VCACHE.VXD being stuck on something, but we do not know what.

FlameOnion said it would not boot into safe mode with SATA so if USB boots into safe mode then it uses vcache. To tell this you can boot up with step-by-step confirmation with WinME and it will ask whether to load all Windows drivers. If selecting 'no' it will ask whether to override standard drivers and at the bottom of the list is vcache. Vcache cannot be avoided it seems and needs to load when starting in safe mode.

On 12/14/2021 at 12:25 AM, MrMateczko said:

An interesting experiment would be to remove VCACHE.VXD from VMM32.VXD and see what happens

You will have BSOD on VFAT.VXD initing. All reasonable checks WAS done already ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2022 at 3:56 AM, Damnation said:

Threadripper 3960x system, gave up after running into the VCACHE error despite rloew's patches

The patches would not have any effect until the driver is installed and without vcache there is no drivers.

4 hours ago, MrMateczko said:

I also didn't encounter this error when I was using ASUS ROG STRIX B450-I GAMING with Ryzen 5 3600.

I now have tried Ryzen MSI Gaming Plus B350 and it installs the system devices great but there is no Sata driver operating and is operating from the BIOS like it does in safe mode.

4 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

The patches would not have any effect until the driver is installed and without vcache there is no drivers.

I recall needing AHCILDR at least for the 1st part of setup, I also tried PATCHMEM to see if that would get past the error but it didn't help.

• 1 month later...

I believe this VCACHE problem it's related to BIOS implementation and it's not an actual hardware incompatibility... We just don't know yet what breaks the 9x compatibility in BIOS.

This is my conclusion after updating a perfectly compatible and stable 3.x/9x/NT 3.5/4  Ryzen 3900X system on a X470 motherboard with 2 classic PCI slots.

This X470 motherboard simply works perfectly with 2020 BIOS but not with the latest 2021 update which runs immediately into VCACHE error with the very same hardware...

I had for a week a Asus B460 motherboard which had some legacy settings related to RAM operation.  That board didn't gave VCACHE error.

This X470 board has about 200 individual settings in AMD CBS settings, maybe I'll find something useful which can be enabled/disabled.

x470_BIOS2.png

x470_BIOS4.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I sadly confirm that on my new PC with Intel Core i3-12100F and MSI PRO H610M-B DDR4 motherboard with the latest UEFI version (1.70), I am experiencing the VCACHE Protection Error (needed to use HIMEMX to get to that stage). Unfortunately, unless there's a fix for it, this seems to be an end of an era of trying to run 98SE on latest hardware, most likely new AM5 motherboards will also experience this issue :( 

I could have tried older UEFI versions but do not want to risk my new motherboard just for this, I doubt that would help anyway...