AHCI and ACPI for XP on Lenovo Netbook

Dave-H

OK, just an update on where I am with this now.
@George Kingis still working on his installation package, so I've now gone back to working with my original installation of XP.
I've now got most things working, including Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, the mouse and touchpad are OK, and the USB system all works.
I'm still having to use just the basic Microsoft graphics driver, but I'm pretty sure I'll have to just live with that, as I did on my last netbook.
I still have no sound, and the sound hardware is not being recognised at all.

On every boot I'm still getting 13 errors recorded in the event log about missing IRQs for hardware devices.
These are -

IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 0, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 0, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 2, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 19, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 19, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 20, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 20, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 26, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 27, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 27, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 28, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 28, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.
IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 31, function 3. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

As you can see, most of them are duplicated, I don't know why.
That's not the order they are recorded in, I've sorted them by slot number.

Until this is resolved, if it can be, I suspect what I have now is the best I can do.
The only option I guess is a modified BIOS, which @Dietmarhas mentioned, and I'm willing to try that, but only if it doesn't mess up dual booting with Windows 10.
I also need to be confident that I can roll back to the previous BIOS if things go wrong, and I don't just end up with a permanently bricked machine!

The other main issue, which may or may not be connected to the missing IRQs, is that the machine will not work properly in Multiprocessor ACPI mode.
I can switch it to that, but if I do a lot of the USB devices stop working.
Why this should be I don't know, but I guess it's a resources problem of some sort.

I'm happy to have got as far as I have done, with all of your help. This machine is obviously very XP unfriendly!
It would be nice to have the sound working at least though.
Cheers,
Dave.
:)

@Dave-H

Hi, here is my modded Bios for 64 Bit for the Flex 10 with n2806 cpu.

https://ufile.io/taqxqvhl

It has a working DSDT table inside for full Acpi XP SP3 and the ahci harddisk.

Also I deleted the Whitelist in this Bios,

so you can install every device that you want.

This is the full 8Mbyte Bios, I think it can be only installed with an EEpromer.

Make sure, that you have the Flex 10 version with n2806 cpu.

There exist another, 32 bit Flex 10 with n2805 cpu. This n2805 is NOT compatible with my Bios!

Make sure, that you make (read out) three valid copies of your Original Bios and compare them, that they are identic.

I use the very best EEpromer REVELPROG IS via Ebay, costs about 150 Euro.

Have a nice day

Dietmar

PS: I desolder the Bios chip from the Lenovo Flex 10 board. But do this only, if you are good in soldering:)).

I can give it a try, but I'm not familiar with that program or procedure at all I'm afraid.
You will have to talk me through it, as I'm very nervous of tinkering with anything to do with BIOS!

@Dave-H

Without a 3 times checked whole Bios copy via EEpromer

I would not do anything with Bios on the Flex 10.

I for myself had the situation also with the Flex 10,

that after modding the Bios it looks like dead.

And in this case the only possibility is reflash original Bios via EEpromer.

For DSDT the situation is a little bit other. You can upload an DSDT on the fly even in XP without any mod in Bios.

But I never succeed with this

Dietmar

So is this a non-starter then?
:(
If so, I will just have to accept the machine as it is on XP, and be happy that it works as well as it does.
The lack of sound is the biggest annoyance.
BTW, thanks to George King, I'm now using the bearwindows graphics driver, which does work pretty well, although with no hardware acceleration.
I tried the Windows 98 version some years ago, and wasn't impressed, but the NT version is pretty good considering.
:yes:

• 3 months later...

@Dave-H

When you find a Bios for the Flex 10,

version 93cn25ww.exe, 93cn27ww.exe, 93cn28ww.exe and maybe also 93cn50ww.exe

you can flash it without risk (nearly:rolleyes:) via win8.1 (or win10, I have not tested).

At once all will work under XP SP3

Dietmar

PS: And maybe, that @Mov AX, 0xDEAD find a solution, how to exclude in DSDT acpi5 words.

Win10 and Win8.1 can live without acpi5 words in DSDT, I tested.

I have BIOS version 93CN55WW(V9.5) 64 bit.
Are you saying that one of those other versions, which appear to be older, would work better for XP as they are?
:dubbio:

@Dave-H

Yes, I test for myself.

I modd my DSDT via the ideas from older Bios for the Flex10 and this works.

This depends not on the cpu.

But you can also wait few days, because @Mov AX, 0xDEAD promised

to make a new fix for exact this problem.

This is the only way without a risk, because nothing in Bios will be changed, only in acpi.sys for XP SP3

Dietmar

Edited by Dietmar

That's good to know!
If this can be fixed without the risks involved with modifying the BIOS that would be amazing.
I'll wait until the new acpi.sys is published and then try a new install with George King's installation package, using it.
Thanks,
Dave.

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2021 at 12:19 PM, RainyShadow said:

Also, if you can find a cheap deal for Acronis Universal Restore, it is very useful when moving your OS. Just make sure to get the version with support for XP !

<OT>

I realize this thread is old, but wanted to say amen to this - I don't even install the main program anymore - everything can be backed up and restored if you have the DVD so long as you can boot to DVD, otherwise, I guess installing it might be needed. I use 2012 and it would seem I'd need to create a new account to even download an ISO - they're all over the place but I'm not sure I'd trust some of the offerings out there, try to find legit at least. 

https://kb.acronis.com/acronis-true-image-home-2012

At one point it was activated, but that was long ago and now I just use the live DVD with no stress, I promise you.

<OT>