AHCI and ACPI for XP on Lenovo Netbook

Dave-H

Thanks, I'll copy the ntoskrn8.sys file back again.
I had copied it before but removed it when that attempt came to nothing, so that could well be the problem.
I can't boot into XP in any mode at the moment.
:)

Yep, should have read that file!
:blushing:
Read it before but didn't bother to look at it again, serves me right.
Anyway, I copied the three files across and XP now boots in AHCI mode!
:thumbup
It's now trying to install a driver, but it wants msachi.sys, a file that doesn't seem to exist on the machine anywhere, or on my other XP machine, or on the Windows XP installation CD.
:dubbio:

EDIT: OK, panic over, I just reinstalled the driver from the Integrator folder, and it's now OK, showing as a "Standard SATA AHCI Controller".
:yes:
Thanks guys so much for this, and for tolerating my stupidity!
Now onwards to the further delights of finding all the other drivers, especially the touchpad, which is pretty unusable at the moment.
@jaclazI do hope it doesn't take as long this time to find a working touchpad driver as it did last time! I'll let you know.........  :D

I'm sure @jaclazwill be delighted to hear that I found a compatible driver for the touchpad this time! :thumbup
It's a Synaptics one on this machine.

Not quite finished here though I'm afraid, I think there are problems still with the ACPI system.
The machine now restarts OK, but when I shut down I still get the "It's safe to turn off your computer" message, which isn't right.
It may or may not be connected, but there is no trace of the (Realtek) audio hardware either, it's not in Device Manager.
I managed to install USB drivers, which put a lot of devices in, but I still have a problem with a wireless USB dongle mouse as well, it's being detected as a keyboard, and doesn't work!

I'm thinking that maybe I need a different version of acpi.sys.
There are lots of them in the Integrator, and I'm just using the default one at the moment.
Is there any way of determining which would be best to use (there's lots of them!) to try next?

12 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I'm sure @jaclazwill be delighted to hear that I found a compatible driver for the touchpad this time! :thumbup
It's a Synaptics one on this machine.

Maybe "delighted" is a bit too much, more like "moderately pleased" ;)

jaclaz

4 hours ago, Damnation said:

@Dave-H

First

Check in device manager under "Computer" - If it says something other than "ACPI Multiprocessor PC" then ACPI isn't properly enabled.

It's listed as an "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC".
Should it be multiprocessor?
There's only one physical processor of course, but it is dual core.
I wasn't clear from my researches whether that is regarded as being two processors in this context.
If I try updating the driver the existing setting and "Standard PC" are the only options offered.

Yes, I guess so.
Strange that multiprocessor PC isn't being offered.
I'm still wondering if I just need to use a different version of the modified acpi.sys files.
There are no less than 19 versions in the Integrator, and I'm using the default one at the moment, which is the one in the "acpi 6666 - 2020.10.22 - daniel_k" folder.
Unfortunately the text files in the Integrator folders don't give any detail as to how the other 18 differ from this!
I guess I could just try each one in turn to see if produces a better result with my particular hardware.

OK, I've managed to get it over to being an "ACPI Multiprocessor PC".
After checking all the necessary files were present and the right versions (comparing with my main machine) I got the options back in Device Manager by changing the Hardware ID in the registry. This allowed me to select the right driver.

Now of course, I've lost the ACHI driver again! :(
It will only boot into compatible mode and is crawlingly slow.
I'll have to work on that again now!

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

This allowed me to select the right driver.

And what is the "right driver" ?

P.S. I just read archived topic from win-raid  "WinXP,2003_x32_on_modern_hardware". And in archive it divided on 5 .htm parts. So i read starting from 3 part to find solution to your problem. And what i found is that advanced user diderius6 have a real fight with Lenovo Flex 10 with BayTrail. He have 5 Flex 10 Netbooks. He is so hardcore he eventually get to soldering bios chips etc.

You can download this archive now on wincert topic first page and quick read it using in-browser search on word lenovo in this page. The problem is he mention so many things that i didn't get what was the end of his story with Flex 10. The links to his acpi is gone and now can be downloaded only by ufile paid users. But newer versions of acpi from diderius present on WinXP-IE_Optional_Patch_Integrator_v3.2.1 pack.

After win-raid moders\admins destroyed that topic, they also ban diderius6, so i don't know where to contact him. Maybe guys on wincert new topic know how contact him, cause he "eat the dog" on Flex 10 + windows XP.

Well I'm assuming it should be an "ACPI Multiprocessor PC".
I was very sad when I found that thread on the Win-RAID forum had been trashed.
There are so many links to it here.
I was puzzled why they all just went to the forum front page, then I found out why.
It looked like a mine of useful information. I certainly hope that would never happen here!

Anyway, I still haven't got the AHCI driver working again.
I've tried retracing my steps to see if I can do the install again like I did the first time with the other HAL, but nothing works.
The registry entries are still intact, all the files are present and correct where they should be, but the driver just won't install.
The driver in the Integrator just says there's no match for my hardware.

If I boot in AHCI mode, the logo animation shows for about 10 seconds, then there a stop 7B BSOD.
If I boot in standard mode, it does eventually boot, but it's so slow that it's unusable.

There are other issue now too, the machine is still showing the "safe to turn off your computer" message, which surely it now shouldn't be, and instead of restarting it just permanently freezes on the shutdown logo.

Other things are better though, like it's now seeing both processor cores which it wasn't before.
:)