AHCI and ACPI for XP on Lenovo Netbook

Dave-H

Thanks again all!
:yes:
Just a quick update, I now have the ACPI system working!
As suggested all that was needed was the substitution of the acpi.sys file with one of the updated ones.
I should have had more faith! :D
Fortunately of all the different versions of acpi.sys on offer in the Patch Integrator the default one did work.

So, I have a lot of functionality back now, but the problem at the moment is that the AHCI system has stopped working again.
After updating the ACPI system, it started blue screening with the "inaccessible boot drive" error again.
If I returned the BIOS to compatible mode, it then didn't load, hanging permanently on the XP splash screen.

I've now removed the ACHI driver and have it booting again in compatible mode, but it's crawlingly slow of course.
I will need to see if I now need a different AHCI driver now ACPI is working.

I'm away again overnight tonight, so I will pick this up again tomorrow.
Cheers Dave.
:)

@Dave-H

Included with the Integral edition Optional Patch Integrator is a backported version of the Windows 8.0 storahci driver for XP.

To install it -

go to \Integrator Files\Patches\Miscellaneous\ and copy ntoskrn8.sys into \system32\drivers\ of your XP install - this is needed for the backported driver to work.

then go to \Integrator Files\Patches\MovAX-Gen2 SATA driver v2.0\

and install that backported storahci driver located in there.

5 hours ago, Damnation said:

@Dave-H

Included with the Integral edition Optional Patch Integrator is a backported version of the Windows 8.0 storahci driver for XP.

To install it -

go to \Integrator Files\Patches\Miscellaneous\ and copy ntoskrn8.sys into \system32\drivers\ of your XP install - this is needed for the backported driver to work.

then go to \Integrator Files\Patches\MovAX-Gen2 SATA driver v2.0\

and install that backported storahci driver located in there.

I already posted whole newly ported collection for both platform on first page. All drivers are standalone - no manual touch need, simlly install INF. Or integrate them into setup using nLite. Btw, in my driver collection SMART works in CrystalDiskInfo. And most of drivers all in all 24 XP languages as I grabbed strings from newer versions too :)

Edited by George King

@Damnation @George King

I'm afraid both those driver packages just produce "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware".
I am assuming that it's the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" that I should be trying to update?
I'm beginning to wonder now!
:dubbio:
Its ID is PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F21.

@Dave-H Have you tried to check "search for driver in custom location" and point it to Generic MSAHCI folder? This driver can enumerade mentioned IDE Controllers

If it sill doesn't work, then try add this into Generic MSAHCI folder and try it again

intelhdc.inf

Edited by George King

Tried pointing to the folder, and I get "The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed".
There seems to be no option to override that.
I'll try again with the new INF file.
:yes:

Added the new INF file, and still got the same result when I tried just pointing to the folder.
However, when I pointed specifically to the new INF file, I was able to install the "Intel Serial ATA Storage Controller".
That is working fine and everything is much faster than before.
Unfortunately it still won't load in ACHI mode in the BIOS, which is what I need.
I just get a 7B stop error.
I can't be changing the BIOS mode every time I switch operating systems.
:no:

Yes I do! :D
All I presumably need now is an Intel equivalent of that AMD driver which cured the problem last time on the previous machine.
I haven't yet found an Intel driver which will work in ACHI mode though.
I had a Unita SCSI driver working, but that no longer seems to work now the machine is in ACPI mode.

3 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Well, not really why i pointed at that specific page... 

You need any compatible AHCI driver AND the "Critical device blabla" stuff in the registry. 

Sorry you'll have to remind me what the "Critical device blabla" stuff is.

6 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Yes I do! :D

Looks like you don't.

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Sorry you'll have to remind me what the "Critical device blabla" stuff is.

Start reading from the post by cdob.

This is for the driver in the MovAX-Gen2 SATA driver v2.0 folder:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#cc_010601]
"Service"="storahci"
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E97B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci]
"Type"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000000
"Group"="SCSI miniport"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000003
"DisplayName"="Microsoft Standard SATA AHCI Driver"
"ImagePath"=hex(2):73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,44,00,\
  52,00,49,00,56,00,45,00,52,00,53,00,5c,00,73,00,74,00,6f,00,72,00,61,00,68,\
  00,63,00,69,00,2e,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,00,00
"Tag"=dword:00000021

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters]
"BusType"=dword:0000000b
"IoTimeoutValue"=dword:0000001e
"IoLatencyCap"=dword:000001f4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\Parameters\PnpInterface]
"5"=dword:00000001

@Dave-H

It seems you're going to have to do the AHCI driver installation the slow way without the INF file.

So you'll need to copy the modded storahci.sys and ntoskrn8.sys drivers into system32\drivers and then add in the registry keys one at a time by hand.

Thanks @RainyShadowand @Damnation.

Sorry, I was being a lazy sod and should have read that previous thread through more thoroughly.
I added the registry entries and tried installing the MovAX-Gen2 SATA driver v2.0 driver again.
I was only offered what seemed to be a standard controller.
When I installed it, on reboot I got a message that storahci.sys is missing or corrupt.
In Windows 10, I confirmed it wasn't present, and copied it from the "MovAX-Gen2 SATA driver v2.0" folder to the system32\drivers folder.
No difference, I'm still getting the same message on boot even in Safe Mode, and with the BIOS in ACHI and Compatible mode.
So now I'm stuck again.
:(

Just to add, I loaded the Windows XP registry in Windows 10 with Registry Workshop, and the added information was only in one of the three ControlSets.
I manually added it to the other two just in case that was the problem, and confirmed that storahci.sys was indeed in the necessary folder.
Still no difference, I'm still getting a message that it's missing or corrupt, and I can't get into Windows XP at all.
The storahci.sys file is reporting that it's a Windows 8 version (6.1) is that really going to work?