AHCI and ACPI for XP on Lenovo Netbook

Dave-H

On 12/10/2021 at 11:33 AM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I cannot fully say if this works in your configuration but I have been using these drivers to load even NT4 on newer mainboards on achi mode. You need to slipstream those with nlite

http://alter.org.ua/en/soft/win/uni_ata/

I finally tried this AHCI driver, and it works!
:thumbup:cheerleader::thumbup
Thank you so much!
Now time to move on to find an ACPI driver!
I won't make another thread for that as thankfully this thread didn't last too long, as i thought it might, but I will amend the title.
:)

• Dave-H changed the title to AHCI and ACPI for XP on Lenovo Netbook

I do have this driver it needs a lot of improvement.

It only supports intel ICH2,ICH on windows xp sp2 and windows 2000 respectively.

If someone has a via controller its good for xp the same with nforce and cmd.

Conclusion : it has limited intel support under windows xp that of course isn't good.

If someone has a windows nt sp6a+ then its paradise.

Edited by CIACIACIACIACIACIA

OK, rather ill-advisedly, I thought I would try restoring the ACPI to as it was originally, just to see if now I've got the AHCI working it might now work.
Of course it didn't!

20211213_171900.thumb.jpg.5feb6cb4c048fc17f3e526a883b75637.jpg

I restored the registry from a backup I made just before I changed things, but it still blue screens, even in Safe Mode.
:(
I'm obviously going to have to restore the necessary files as well (easy to do in Windows 10 of course).
Now I've just got to remember which ones they are, and which versions I need!
IIRC it's ntoskrnl.exe, ntkrnlpa.exe, and hal.dll.
Is that right?
:dubbio:

I had already looked at that, but once again it's all about creating an ISO to do a new installation, which isn't what I want.

I found some other sources too, which seemed to be just alternative acpi.sys files. Surely it can't be fixed by just changing one file?!

🤔

8 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I had already looked at that, but once again it's all about creating an ISO to do a new installation, which isn't what I want.

I found some other sources too, which seemed to be just alternative acpi.sys files. Surely it can't be fixed by just changing one file?!

just boot to win10 or live media or something and rename acpi.sys to acpi.old to have backup then copy install that one to folder. It will be fine but if Windows file protection Window pop up like below press cancel and DO NOT give it cd as Windows XP+ does not like that you swap files and that tries revert it. Not sure if that will affect to sys files but if does better not try your luck

sfc.GIF.7991764ae22ae5407ceda53f10148bca.GIF

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

10 minutes ago, CIACIACIACIACIACIA said:

I think its the message that windows 98 display after the shutdown procedure.

Yes, it is the same but this is XP alright, only in some "particular" setup, it is rare, but not impossible to get it (it depends on ACPI working/installed or not) it happened (only as an example) with this minimal-minimal build:

http://reboot.pro/index.php?showtopic=3717&p=27253

There was an image of that same screenshot (that is now deleted by imageshack).

jaclaz

I'm only seeing it because my ACPI system isn't working at the moment of course.
It must be extremely rare to see it on any system nowadays, I last remember having its equivalent on Windows 95, and I'd never ever seen the XP version before until now!
:)

@Dave-H

I'm very interested in helping you solve this.

So you want to get ACPI enabled on your system but without doing a fresh install is that right?

TBH the easiest solution is to do a fresh install with XP integral edition using the Optional patch integrator which can be found here - https://www.zone94.com/downloads/software/operating-systems/123-windows-xp-professional-sp3-x86-integral-edition

Applying the patches to an existing install is the more difficult route.

Is preserving the existing installation a must? a new install is much easier thats why all the existing guides prefer it.

Edited by Damnation

On 12/13/2021 at 2:14 PM, Dave-H said:

an ISO to do a new installation of Windows XP, which is not what I really need.
I ideally need drivers which I can just install into my existing installation.

inside, there is WinXP-IE Optional Patch Integrator

see \Integrator Files\Patches\ACPI drivers 

many acpi.sys files try them til you found the right one.

21 hours ago, Dave-H said:

BTW, I bet not many of you have seen this for a very long time, if ever!

20211213_223956.thumb.jpg.8ae6681cdf42a78b2a6ee5a18c6187ff.jpg

:D

I seen that on my Celeron 266 pc when was testing hardware functionality with XP to confirm there was no issues. For some reason APM was not on by default and that happened. If you got APM only board, xp and 2000 offers toggle to disable in on power control panel applet