windows Server 2003 as a web server and server for some games and stuff today

Sergiaws

how good is a Windows Server 2003 for serving websites and some games today? I would to install Windows Server 2003 on an VPS with 1-3GB of ram, but don't know how good is it. I know that there is a Command Line Windows Server 2008-2022, but it miss some stuff like audio. So, what advantages can give me a Server 2003 over a graphic Server 2008-2022? Is it possible to make it secure nowadays? Pd. I prefer Windows instead of Linux because I plan to serve some stuff that require Windows XP or newer.

You should install a newer free and easily configurable web server in any case. All games have their own server, so the OS is mostly irrelevant. Server 2003 is basically the same as Windows XP, with additional support for more memory if all drivers are compatible, large hard drives in GPT format and slightly faster TCP/IP driver. Server 2003 is much smaller than an NT6-based OS and therefore a better fit for a low memory system, without sacrificing functionality such as GUI. It should work well if you have all critical device drivers available.

Long ago I used one spare Pentium 4 machine with 512mb of RAM to run game servers with WS2003 R2.

Most important thing to remember is use proper hardware firewall between server and internet and ONLY allow ports that you need and I recommend high non standard ports and block pinging of port since that will reduce change of port scan attack. Any Windows or Linux or even BSD based server will get hacked if you leave all ports open. It is like leaving door open instead of small window to get fresh air.

For web server I highly recommend against using id*** Information services since back in day that was room for worms like Code Red worm long ago.

Also I recommend against wordpress. Use only apache and that way you are less vurneable.

Sorry that cant tell how do that firewall thing on VPS since I self host all of my servers to have better access over them and have hacker proof killswitch (pull the plug) but it control panel should allow port blocking I guess