Share your Microsoft Windows Vista Experience!

Win10-Hater

3 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I thought you can only address 3.5gb of ram on 32bit oses?

No , Vista can use all 4GB. But some motheboards reserve space for internal graphics, even though you have a discrette card.

Hence you get something like 3.5 or maybe more . Though I came across some MOBOs where one can switch off the 

internal graphics completely and enjoy all 4GB , they are very rare and most them are DRR2 era.

11 minutes ago, Jaguarek62 said:

I thought you can only address 3.5gb of ram on 32bit oses?

You don't have to limit yourself to < 1 GB (some very recent motherboards leave that for 32bit OSes), 3.5 GB or 4 GB when you enable/un-cripple PAE.

http://www.geoffchappell.com/notes/windows/license/memory.htm?tx=7

Server 2008 Enterprise and Datacenter x86 (not sure if Standard's RAM limits were upped from 2003) also allow the use of the extra RAM without modifications.

Edited by win32

20 hours ago, win32 said:

You don't have to limit yourself to < 1 GB (some very recent motherboards leave that for 32bit OSes), 3.5 GB or 4 GB when you enable/un-cripple PAE.

http://www.geoffchappell.com/notes/windows/license/memory.htm?tx=7

Server 2008 Enterprise and Datacenter x86 (not sure if Standard's RAM limits were upped from 2003) also allow the use of the extra RAM without modifications.

Sounds interesting , thanks , I'll try later . Have you ever come around VRAM limitation ? I tried to install Vista x86 (for gaming , without SP) and many games had troubles with videocards if their VRAM was more than 4GB , games were somehow limited to the amount reported by DXDIAG and had stutters . It's like with Vista SP1 a game can use , say 3GB , without SP it only reaches 1.2GB max  and then starts to use system RAM DDR3 (terrible freezes).

Edit : Tested with Nvidia's Titan , things got even worse , awful stutters with games when reaching 450-500mb only !

Edited by Dixel

17 hours ago, burd said:

My Specs are:

Intel i7 6700HQ

12GB RAM

Toshiba 128GB SSD M.2

Samsung EVO 1TB SSD 

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060

Windows Vista Business SP2 x64

Laptop Model : MSI GT72VR 6RD Dominator Pro 

Your host OS specs?

4 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Anyone using Vista on your main PC (bare metal, not virtualised)? I do.

I think quite alot of people here do , including me. I use SP2 for internet PC and SP1 for gaming . Never installed any updates and still alive.

Though, there are some I couldn't avoid , like framework 4.0 and DX11.

Vista is pretty good for me, but I don't think I'll do more experimenting with it until I get a "new" laptop.

I've seen fragmented bootup time though. On some installs it's as fast or faster than 7, and on other installs it takes 30+ seconds.

13 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Vista is pretty good for me, but I don't think I'll do more experimenting with it until I get a "new" laptop.

I've seen fragmented bootup time though. On some installs it's as fast or faster than 7, and on other installs it takes 30+ seconds.

On spinner HDD or SSD?

15 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

Specs please?

1 minute ago, TECHGEEK said:

Boot time has always been about 20 secs for me on SSD. Do you have superfetch, indexing and readyboost services disabled? Maybe that slows down boot time a little

I usually disable superfetch and readyboost. I keep indexing, because I can sometimes make use of it on a SSD