That's all she wrote for FFXIV on XP.

TrevMUN

So back in July of 2018, FFXIV's web-based launcher started using TLS 1.1/1.2 (not sure which) which prevented XP users from launching the game. Per @i430VX's suggestion when I posted about this problem back then ProxHTTPSProxy solved that problem, needing only to be running for as long as it takes to use the web-based launcher and then you could play as normal.

Well, later in January 2019 SquareEnix officially announced they would no longer support the Windows 32-bit OSes or DirectX 9 with their then-latest expansion, Shadowbringers. However, it wasn't a hard lockout; they just said "you can still try to run the game, but if you run into problems, we won't help." I was pleasantly surprised to find out that FFXIV could indeed continue to run on XP back then.

However, the party's over as of today. The expansion that launched today, Endwalker, now uses APIs not present in XP. So even though you can patch and log in via the web browser, once you actually launch the game, you get this:

image.png.cd0ca341ff11b216f7da0e509a0b777c.png

I wonder if @Dibya or the crew working on extended kernel patches have tackled this particular API, but this likely isn't the only one FFXIV now uses which would prevent XP running the game.

Honestly i am really busy in real life , not returning to active development until 2023 , life can suck some times.

I lost my dad last year , haven't recovered yet mentally , no energy left for hobbies.

Samuka is working rapidly on One Core Api , i will advice you to watch over his project.

1 hour ago, Dibya said:

Honestly i am really busy in real life , not returning to active development until 2023 , life can suck some times.

I lost my dad last year , haven't recovered yet mentally , no energy left for hobbies.

Oh jeez ... my condolences, Dibya. I know how it is to lose a parent; it took me several years to pick up the pieces mentally just from that. It's totally understandable to take time to process and sort things out.

Is Samuka "Skulltrail192" on GitHub? I think I remember you said you incorporated your work on ExtendedXP into OneCore API a while back.

Hoping things get better for you.

8 hours ago, TrevMUN said:

Oh jeez ... my condolences, Dibya. I know how it is to lose a parent; it took me several years to pick up the pieces mentally just from that. It's totally understandable to take time to process and sort things out.

Is Samuka "Skulltrail192" on GitHub? I think I remember you said you incorporated your work on ExtendedXP into OneCore API a while back.

Hoping things get better for you.

"Skulltrail192" Yes his name is

Shot him an e-mail. In the meantime, I grabbed Dependency Walker to determine what's keeping FFXIV from launching on XP.

It looks like there's four APIs responsible: AcquireSRWLockExclusive, InitializeCriticalSectionEx, InitializeSRWLock, and ReleaseSRWLockExclusive. I dunno if @TuMaGoNx is still around, but would XomPie address the lack of those APIs or is this going to take a more extensive approach?

Just an update for anyone who's curious, or for Tumagon or Skulltrail if they happen to read this. Still haven't heard back from either of them.

I gave XomPie a whirl. It does indeed allow the FFXIV game program to launch again under XP, though there's two problems. One, no sound at all. This has been something reported even on Windows 10 machines with Endwalker's release, but the solutions provided don't apply to XP and so I'm not sure how to fix this.

The more pressing issue though is that attempting to log into the lobby servers, I get an error that the game needs to be updated and it closes. People have run into this problem over the years and so I don't know if this is due to XomPie or just shenanigans from the Endwalker update. I did recently get a chance to test on a hand-me-down Windows 10 machine which previously had FFXIV installed, though, and that machine was able to launch the game. (Didn't test the sound, though.)

Given my XP64 machine's the beefiest rig I've got, I'd very much like to continue to play FFXIV on that one, so I'll keep poking at this for a solution. I haven't yet tried OneCore API because I don't know how much it modifies the system, and how easily it is to upgrade or remove it since it's under active development. (XomPie, at least the version I have, does very little modding and can be easily removed.)

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, 404notfound said:

Copypaste from WINE, the SRW locks. The underlying ntapi exists in XP, but it's gonna be a tad bit slower(linked list vs hashtable).

What would the procedure be for doing that? I haven't been able to get around the ensuing Error 1012 that occurs when attempting to launch FFXIV's game client after using XomPie.

From what I can tell, just having the XomPie DLLs present in SysWOW64 is enough to get FFXIV to run again, but only if the executable is pointing to XomPie's kernelxp.dll. Alternatively, using the zernel32.dll trick I learned from community officials for XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within also works if the XomPie DLLs are present in SysWow64.  But still, though the game will launch, attempting to get to the character select screen results in Error 1012 with either method.

I did try completely re-downloading and reinstalling the game to a different drive, as some have suggested works when they encountered Error 1012 in the past, but it didn't help.