Am i the only one who thinks Windows 8/8.1 Was one of the best Windows versions ever?

emanuelrushaj2021

On 11/26/2021 at 1:53 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

The irony in the post by NoelC  --  he observed 8.1 as being SLOWER than 8 which in turn was observed as SLOWER than 7.

But what did he do with those observations?

He upgraded from 7, skipped 8, and went straight to 8.1  --  despite his observations with it being the slowest of the three.

So I think the bigger question is this  --  why did he upgrade, why didn't he just stay on 7?

Especially considering the post was December 2013 and Win7 still had extended supported all the way through January 2020 (and I've heard rumors that some have found support channels through 2024, I've not research that as of yet).

Exactly.  I NEVER recalled NoelC saying that 7 was faster at all.  Put the bong down jaclaz ... lol (kidding, but still ...lol) :P

To address jaclaz' concern that we are evaluating an OS in a FrankenState of customization, I still will concede that out of the box Windows 8 has been one of the most stable overall versions of Windows I've used.  I'd follow that with Windows XP x64 Edition and Windows 2000 Professional.  I'm referring to out of the box use.

I've never used 8/8.1 so I have no pony in this race, no dog in the fight.
I've always felt it was for "touchscreen" only (which I know it is not "limited" to touchscreens) so I've never had any use for it whatsoever.
I like a keyboard and a mouse and use keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures in not only my web browser but in all of my programs.

But I'll throw this in just for fun  --  https://www.computerworld.com/article/3575332/the-worst-version-of-windows-ever-released.html and https://techlog360.com/worst-operating-systems/

Oh, and one of the absolute first things I do with Win 10 computers is to get rid of the d@mn start menu "tiles" that 8/8.1 instroduced.  Hate hate hate hate hate 'em!  Times 1,234,567 hates!  Add 8 more hates!  :cool:

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

I will add that I used Windows RT for a time on a Surface tablet.  Mine was based on an ARM build of Windows 8.1.  Sadly, the apps store was pretty much dead by 2018, and browsing was pretty much limited to IE11, but that was still halfway usable then.

I made a point of using Windows RT solely in Metro mode, so I used only apps, and tried to never go to the desktop.  For that purpose, I would say Metro was a nice experience.

19 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Bit offtopic that symbian part made me cringe out like crazy. Most of stuff highly depent on manufacture implementation of it. Also big bugs causing constant crashes mostly existed on early devices like Nokia 7650 early firmware revisions and were later patched. My 6600 have not had single crash expect when I tried dump part of ROM with fexplorer that forced me to pull battery. Also I browsed WAP pages with it back in day (it did cost money due datalimit) and never had those strange render issues unless had bad network coverage also Android 11 did same as symbian did when did when going from s60 2nd edition to s60 3rd edition due new security model that broke many apps. Also early days of android were buggy so why android is not on list? Oh yeah it is because symbian bad android/ios good.

Also one major reason why symbian is kept bad was after Eflop left Micro$oft to be Nokia CEO and there was accidental "leak" from internal document where he said symbian sucks and quickly after it surprise Nokia next mobile os was Windoze mobile and Eflop went back to Microsoft and everyone were and still are happy to ignore and change of that being done on purpose by Microsoft.

And if symbian is so bad why there is still community around it?

My purpose is not say Android is bad, it has it potential rather show how many seems built their knowledge based on quick internet research and not testing it themself. Same people say that Windows vista is bad, windows ME is bad, Windows XP x64 is bad despite most never used any of those. Fully update any of those and test with proper software and drivers and result is way different

1 hour ago, Jody Thornton said:

I made a point of using Windows RT solely in Metro mode, so I used only apps, and tried to never go to the desktop.  For that purpose, I would say Metro was a nice experience.

that was pretty much Windows Really Trash was good at. I sorta wished they would have had done similar port to windows NT 4 on PPC and MIPS that would not have been locked down

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

On 11/26/2021 at 1:14 PM, emanuelrushaj2021 said:

im gonna be completely honest win 8.1 is amazing its faster than windows 7 but more modern also a lot of people dislike the ui but after some time youll get used to it it also has no bloatware and adware like win10 i love it anyone else feels the same?

I can only agree with you and it‘s also not a lie that Windows 8/8.1 are way faster than Windows 7. That was proven so many times, since UEFI and Fast Boot made my old 2013 laptop boot in 9 seconds, whereas Windows 7 took 24! Windows 10 is a mess I won‘t talk about that but in Fact the UI wasn‘t „a mess“ „ugly“ or „terrible“ IN MY OPINION. It‘s a matter of perspective. Microsoft could have treated it better and make the RT Update 3 also available for 8.1 Desktop Clients and we would have that damn Start Menu everyone was complaining about back. Furthermore, they could have updated the Inbuild Apps a lot more frequent like Groove Music is still Called XboX Music?! If Microsoft messes up something, they just create a new OS and ignore their mistakes (e.g. Windows Vista)

2 minutes ago, yoltboy01 said:

Windows 8/8.1 are way faster than Windows 7. That was proven so many times, since UEFI and Fast Boot made my old 2013 laptop boot in 9 seconds, whereas Windows 7 took 24!

time from power button to desktop is not whole loading time always. Operating system might be still loading modules on background. Also boot time is not only thing measured in performance. Response time on desktop is more important to me. Some high end servers i worked with takes 10 minutes to boot and my old digital laptop from 1994 takes around 30 seconds so does this mean that laptop is faster? No.