Am i the only one who thinks Windows 8/8.1 Was one of the best Windows versions ever?

emanuelrushaj2021

No (meaning that is not in any way faster than Windows 7 on SAME hardware and with clean installs).

We have a member here, NoelC that did objective tests:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/170634-i-need-to-confess-regarding-windows-81/

The UI actually sucks, and sucks big, but of course that it is just a matter of personal tastes. 

jaclaz

8 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

I just think he may have had an illusion . What illusion ? It's when you switch off the aero effects on slow hardware , the system "feels" snappier overall. Yes , of course the UI sucks , you're right again !

This indeed. Also if you used Windows vista or windows 7 on basic theme system is "slower" while it is not. And Windows 8 forces DWM on that makes it "faster"

Reason for that is aero theme uses transaction effect when program start. Let me put it this way.

Standard/Basic theme=click/enter gui program command>program executes>program draws with no transaction leaving program with white and blank background for moment>program startup finishes.

Aero/win8 DWM=theme=click/enter gui program command>program executes>program loads with fade in transaction>program startup finishes

All of that is illusion since transaction animation. On other hand if animation is slow it can make loading slower.

You can try that on vista by toggling basic theme and then starting properties menu from right click menu. You will likely see that "lag" and when back aero gone again.

5 hours ago, emanuelrushaj2021 said:

im gonna be completely honest win 8.1 is amazing its faster than windows 7 but more modern also a lot of people dislike the ui but after some time youll get used to it

This sounds like 2012 Microsoft shill. "It's your problem if cant get used to new UI" Also I got high feeling this is bait since new member and first post.

Too bad I am not fish (and not owl either despite profile picture says so) so I wont eat bites. For me it is choice of OS and respect any other OS choice as long as they respect my. I can understand even using of Windows 11 with all latest ms programs but just personally hate it and believe everyone got right to use OS they want and should not be forced to latest. I wont force win11 users to win98 or XP either.

I also feel this way. I never got any issue even running it on non supported hardware. though I might be weird cause I love the metro ui. I hate windows 8 approach though. Many users had to google how to shut down their own computer :huh:

5 hours ago, jaclaz said:

No (meaning that is not in any way faster than Windows 7 on SAME hardware and with clean installs).

We have a member here, NoelC that did objective tests:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/170634-i-need-to-confess-regarding-windows-81/

The UI actually sucks, and sucks big, but of course that it is just a matter of personal tastes. 

jaclaz

The irony in the post by NoelC  --  he observed 8.1 as being SLOWER than 8 which in turn was observed as SLOWER than 7.

But what did he do with those observations?

He upgraded from 7, skipped 8, and went straight to 8.1  --  despite his observations with it being the slowest of the three.

So I think the bigger question is this  --  why did he upgrade, why didn't he just stay on 7?

Especially considering the post was December 2013 and Win7 still had extended supported all the way through January 2020 (and I've heard rumors that some have found support channels through 2024, I've not research that as of yet).

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

AFAIK - and historically - the different perception in speed derives mainly by two factors:

1) comparing a brand new fresh install of the new OS against a (poorly maintained) old OS install (including any number of not fully removed/uninstalled services/drivers/runtimes and what not) on the SAME hardware
2) doing the above, but additionally testing the new OS on new (faster) hardware, so that the difference in performance of the hardware adds up

On the other hand, and this is very common among MSFN members, when they "judge" an OS they judge it not "as from factory" but rather a particular version/install of it, adjusted/tweaked, etc. as I pointed out on the referenced thread.

jaclaz

11 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

You can try that on vista by toggling basic theme and then starting properties menu from right click menu. You will likely see that "lag" and when back aero gone again.

Sorry , can't replicate , my Vista is super fast regardless . Perhaps I have a good videocard. Though , it's old , bought in 2014. GTX980.

While I statistically encountered most quirks with 8.x, I certainly appreciate the number of good things it brought, from native multiple-monitor taskbar, per-monitor desktop background support to streamlined file / registry permissions dialog. Though I still wonder what was the guy that deleted Manage wireless networks GUI smoking.

10 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Sorry , can't replicate , my Vista is super fast regardless . Perhaps I have a good videocard. Though , it's old , bought in 2014. GTX980.

i meant that brief second some program windows take to render that shows when aero is off sometimes. It is not real slowdown just that when aero is on you cannot see loading. I had to diagnose one client who said Windows were slow to render and it was that.

On 11/28/2021 at 2:26 PM, Jaguarek62 said:

When aero is off it is no longer being rendered on the gpu. So you gpu is completely irrelevant

What I meant is, it doesn't matter for my PC . On or off , I do not observe any speed difference . 

On 11/27/2021 at 12:51 PM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

i meant that brief second some program windows take to render that shows when aero is off sometimes.

Sorry , I didn't observe such phenomenon on Visat . Everything renders very fast on my PC. Vista is very fast. Perhaps you meant this happens with Windows 7 Aero ?