Annoying search column problem in XP

justacruzr2

Presumably you've tried disabling all the startup programs using msconfig?
That's what I've always done to eliminate programs causing a problem on startup.
Once you've identified which program it is, then the fun starts!
:)

No I didn't.  Reason being is the daily driver computer XP system is configured the same as the HP XP installation and it does work as it should on that computer.  I figured it was something else.  The program that has the problem is Norton System Doctor (the NU 2002 version).  It's the same as the HP computer.  Strange for it to work on one but not the other.

My goodness, I thought I was probably the only one left with Norton Utilities 2002 still installed!
I've got it installed on Windows 98 and Windows XP, and the Norton System Doctor has never given any problems for me on either system.
I haven't got it set to run when Windows starts though.
:)

NU2001 on 98SE and Millennium and NU2002 on both XP setups.  Neither do I....yet.  If I did that on the one that is having a problem I would probably never get it unset from startup.  It locks up the computer about 5 seconds after starting.  I'm going to try taking the registry entries from the other XP installation and import them into this computer.  I'm not sure but I think I did that before and it didn't work or it didn't work correctly.  If I remember correctly, I couldn't set any performance data in SysDoc because it kept telling me that it couldn't find the computer.   Hmmmm...try the one your sitting on!  Anyway it's one of the more useful things, to me, in Norton Utilities.  I like to see what's going on behind the scenes.  Do you think anyone here might know?  If so, I could post a topic on it and get some input on which direction to go.  It's as frustrating as the Search Column problem we just solved.