Annoying search column problem in XP

justacruzr2

No problem!
I read what you posted previously, and all I can say is that my "Dave" account is the default Administrator account, and always has been.
It's always apparently worked perfectly like that.
:)

On 11/26/2021 at 6:06 PM, Dave-H said:

No problem!
I read what you posted previously, and all I can say is that my "Dave" account is the default Administrator account, and always has been.
It's always apparently worked perfectly like that.

In my Groups account Administrator is listed first and then my "Default" account which is what I have been using since the install.  Right click on Administrators in Groups and select properties and see what's there.  In mine there was Administrators and then my Default account.  Did you rename the Administrator account to Dave?  If not then somethings funny.

1 hour ago, justacruzr2 said:

Did you rename the Administrator account to Dave?  If not then somethings funny.

Yes, that's exactly what I did.
Why it doesn't save my Search results columns' settings in that configuration is a mystery.
Surely it can't be the fact that I have auto logon enabled? It's still using the password, it's just doing it automatically.
:dubbio:

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Yes, that's exactly what I did.
Why it doesn't save my Search results columns' settings in that configuration is a mystery.
Surely it can't be the fact that I have auto logon enabled? It's still using the password, it's just doing it automatically.

Just out of curiosity why not try renaming your account back to Administrator and/or take it off auto logon and see what happens.

I've now finally looked at my other XP installation on another machine, where I am just a normal user with administer rights, and the default Administrator user is still intact, and the Search columns' settings are being saved on that machine.
So it's definitely a by product of the way I have the first machine configured.
:yes:

6 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I've now finally looked at my other XP installation on another machine, where I am just a normal user with administer rights, and the default Administrator user is still intact, and the Search columns' settings are being saved on that machine.
So it's definitely a by product of the way I have the first machine configured.
:yes:

I was beginning to think that might be the reason but I'm glad you finally resolved this annoyance as have I. 

Well I haven't actually "fixed" it, just confirmed why it's happening (I think!)
Disabling automatic logon makes no difference, so I can only now assume it's happening because I'm logging on with the built-in Administrator account, albeit renamed, and not a normal user account.
Why this should be I have no idea. Does saving the columns work for you if you log in using the Administrator account?
Sounds like a bug to me, I can't think of any logical reason why it would have been designed that way.

7 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Well I haven't actually "fixed" it, just confirmed why it's happening (I think!)
Disabling automatic logon makes no difference, so I can only now assume it's happening because I'm logging on with the built-in Administrator account, albeit renamed, and not a normal user account.
Why this should be I have no idea. Does saving the columns work for you if you log in using the Administrator account?
Sounds like a bug to me, I can't think of any logical reason why it would have been designed that way.

Logging on as THE Administrator is the only way it saves those settings.  And it is the only difference I have ever found between logging on as the lesser Administrator and logging in as the top Administrator.  Was it intentional or a mistake only MS knows.  Yeah, it doesn't seem logical to me either.  There certainly are an abundance of more crucial things to restrict access to.  When I'm done setting up the Administrator account I'll probably delete the Default account.  The Administrator account wasn't even there when I installed all the 3rd party software so I have to go thru the whole start menu as the Administrator so each program can save its settings in the Administrator account under Application Data.  That takes a little while.

Well that's even stranger, as effectively I am logged on as "THE Administrator", and my settings aren't being saved!
Perhaps it just doesn't like the fact that I've renamed the built-in Administrator account.
I'm not going to worry too much about it, but it is puzzling.

23 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Well that's even stranger, as effectively I am logged on as "THE Administrator", and my settings aren't being saved!
Perhaps it just doesn't like the fact that I've renamed the built-in Administrator account.
I'm not going to worry too much about it, but it is puzzling.

I was thinking about that last night.  Maybe when you renamed the account it looked at that account in a different way and now there is no provision for it to return to the original way.  I wonder if there's a way to reset it.  I wonder if you could use Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to take your settings from your other computer that does work correctly and transfer them to the one where you renamed the Administrator account.  Only other thing that I can think of would be to start from the beginning again (re-install) but I'm sure you don't want to do that. 

Something else I've now noticed while playing.
The "More Advanced Options" options' settings don't seem to be saved either for me.
They revert on restart to everything checked except "Search tape backup".
Are they saved for others?
If they are, presumably it's another symptom of the same problem as with the columns.

6 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Something else I've now noticed while playing.
The "More Advanced Options" options' settings don't seem to be saved either for me.
They revert on restart to everything checked except "Search tape backup".
Are they saved for others?
If they are, presumably it's another symptom of the same problem as with the columns.

Probably a symptom of the same problem.  One more thing I thought of was could you use the registry from the computer that does have THE Administrator or is that computer too different?  If you could,  you could use 98 to backup and then restore to the computer with the settings problem.  Just a thought.

That isn't an option I'm afraid, the computers are just too different.
I'm not really that worried about this, although it's been very interesting to find out why it's probably happening.
I noticed it years ago, but just assumed that was the way it was by design for some reason.
I still can't think of a reason  for it, other than an obscure bug in XP which was probably never ever identified, letalone fixed.

On 12/3/2021 at 6:56 PM, Dave-H said:

That isn't an option I'm afraid, the computers are just too different.
I'm not really that worried about this, although it's been very interesting to find out why it's probably happening.
I noticed it years ago, but just assumed that was the way it was by design for some reason.
I still can't think of a reason  for it, other than an obscure bug in XP which was probably never ever identified, letalone fixed.

Hey Dave, do you know of a free program that can trace/track what's going on in the background and doesn't require a  ."whatever" framework to work.  I'm having a problem with a program that locks up the computer about 5 seconds after starting it.  Works fine in 98SE and Millenium and on my other computer that runs XP but not on my daily driver computer that has XP (same one we've been talking about).