Windows Vista on Intel Haswell and later issues.

Jakob99

This thread has been branched off from the Extended Kernel thread as to not bog that one down. For discussion about the Extended Kernel, go here:

Anyways, it is widely known that installing Windows Vista on Intel Haswell and later causes bugs to appear. These can range from many things such as "The Interactive logon process has failed" error message after the startup orb is shown to several services not starting and requiring a restart, sometimes several, in order to get them working (there is no way to start these manually from within Windows). Also, several other errors may occur within Windows itself. These include User Account Controls not showing up and instead throwing an error (redoing what prompted the UAC will get it to pop up normally) to many other errors.

If one takes a look at 6003.20489.vistasp2_ldr_escrow.190320-1700, it will show that the problems that plague Haswell and later are fixed by way of new HAL driver, however, this is only partially true. While I did get less errors in relation to the Haswell+ issues, I still got errors such as the aforementioned user account controls error. So, if we want a chance at even getting these issues fixed once and for all, it will probably be worth it to investigate the HAL.dll as BetaWiki claims a new version of this fixed the issues. Even if we get the issues fixed (which should definitely happen down the road), there is still the issue of getting most drivers (most of which are 7+) working, although after getting Realtek Ethernet working, I ran Driver Booster and it found a fair chunk of driver, including SATA drivers, shockingly. Intel graphics obviously do not work, although you "might" be able to work the XP Haswell drivers.

Edited by Tripredacus
fixed title

There isn't much to say , I have to use 32-bit Vista on the damn Haswell . Luckily , I have another platforms to run 64-bit versions. Nothing fixed and it won't be . And even if it will , I'm gonna dump the haswell very soon anyways. A slight off-top , @win32 wrote something about Kaby Lake "In a series of reboots, all services started and there were no issues with application execution." Kaby Lake (which I now have at my disposal) is not Haswell , of course ! But he didn't tell which update exactly . Win32 , could you join us here and name this update for kabylake , I'll test and write back here, thanks.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183035-will-windows-vista-work-on-amd-ryzen-3-3250u/?do=findComment&comment=1206474

7 hours ago, Dixel said:

There isn't much to say , I have to use 32-bit Vista on the damn Haswell . Luckily , I have another platforms to run 64-bit versions. Nothing fixed and it won't be . And even if it will , I'm gonna dump the haswell very soon anyways. A slight off-top , @win32 wrote something about Kaby Lake "In a series of reboots, all services started and there were no issues with application execution." Kaby Lake (which I now have at my disposal) is not Haswell , of course ! But he didn't tell which update exactly . Win32 , could you join us here and name this update for kabylake , I'll test and write back here, thanks.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183035-will-windows-vista-work-on-amd-ryzen-3-3250u/?do=findComment&comment=1206474

I believe I wrote about 6519, the first build of 7 x64 to have leaked in terms of a complete fix.

It now appears that the partial fix for the Haswell TSC drift issue was in a update released between 2017 and 2019.

While this issue only seems to have appeared with the Haswell CPUs, fixes for the issue do date back to build 6519 (released in December 2007), as I have tested on my Kaby Lake laptop. In a series of reboots, all services started and there were no issues with application execution.

There was a partial fix for Vista in that time (some of the timer discrepancies were fixed but not all). I am not sure which update introduced it, as the Server 2008 updates became cumulative rollups in the fall of 2018 and now that Kaby Lake laptop is in very poor shape.

9 hours ago, win32 said:

I believe I wrote about 6519, the first build of 7 x64 to have leaked in terms of a complete fix.

could we use the hall dll present here? or at least compare the one in build 6519 and build 6003 and edit the 6003 one in order to try to fix this?

2 hours ago, winvispixp said:

could we use the hall dll present here? or at least compare the one in build 6519 and build 6003 and edit the 6003 one in order to try to fix this?

That might actually be a good starting point! Compare the hal files and see how we can implement them into Vista's hal. Build 6519 might also be the first 7 build to accept pure 7 drivers, at least I think so as I tried a 7 build earlier than that, and from what I tested, it appeared to not accept the 7 drivers (and this was either on a 2015 HP or a 2019 Acer, I can't remember).

There are too many missing functions to think about copying over the 6519 HAL. And there is another consideration to make.

Several pointers to HAL functions are loaded into two dispatch tables in ntoskrnl at boot. These replace various stubs and other functions, and allow ntoskrnl (and other drivers) to call the HAL without explicitly importing the functions. The main TSC synchronization function is inserted into the table and called by various functions in ntoskrnl. I will have to check that out.

15 hours ago, win32 said:

There are too many missing functions to think about copying over the 6519 HAL. And there is another consideration to make.

Several pointers to HAL functions are loaded into two dispatch tables in ntoskrnl at boot. These replace various stubs and other functions, and allow ntoskrnl (and other drivers) to call the HAL without explicitly importing the functions. The main TSC synchronization function is inserted into the table and called by various functions in ntoskrnl. I will have to check that out.

Interesting. If we can get the 6519 HAL ported over, then maybe it will be easier to get 7 drivers working. Not sure if the HAL has anything to do with driver compatibility, but it may.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2021 at 6:24 PM, Jakob99 said:

Interesting. If we can get the 6519 HAL ported over, then maybe it will be easier to get 7 drivers working. Not sure if the HAL has anything to do with driver compatibility, but it may.

Hi ! Could you please confirm or deny what he says ? I refuse to beleive that ,but still , perhaps we need to try . Unfortunately, I don't have Haswell myself . I'm assuming he's talking about the rollup from August 2020. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/august-11-2020-kb4571730-monthly-rollup-9cfb9817-e154-0a5b-b47f-2fa1082e954a

https://msfn.org/board/topic/179810-download-links-for-all-vista-sp2-32-bit-and-64-bit-updates-from-windows-update/?do=findComment&comment=1187356 

Thanks !

On 12/27/2021 at 11:08 PM, D.Draker said:

I'm assuming he's talking about the rollup from August 2020.

Actually 6519 refers to Windows 7 build 6519 which is a beta version of Windows 7

8 hours ago, TSNH said:

Actually 6519 refers to Windows 7 build 6519 which is a beta version of Windows 7

What are you talkin' about ? It's for Vista 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/august-11-2020-kb4571730-monthly-rollup-9cfb9817-e154-0a5b-b47f-2fa1082e954a

1 hour ago, D.Draker said:

Windows 7 build 6519 is AFAIK the first known build to have the hal issues completely fixed. It's a beta build and was compiled between Windows Vista RTM and Windows 7 RTM so it has nothing to with a 2020 monthly rollup. From what I understand @Jackob88 has been wondering if the hal.dll from that build can be ported to Windows Vista to solve Vista Haswell+ errors. You can read more about it here: https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_7_build_6519

Edited by TSNH
link added

5 hours ago, TSNH said:

Windows 7 build 6519 is AFAIK the first known build to have the hal issues completely fixed. It's a beta build and was compiled between Windows Vista RTM and Windows 7 RTM so it has nothing to with a 2020 monthly rollup. From what I understand @Jackob88 has been wondering if the hal.dll from that build can be ported to Windows Vista to solve Vista Haswell+ errors. You can read more about it here: https://betawiki.net/wiki/Windows_7_build_6519

Dude , did you read the 2nd link !??! He says "Just finished testing my ... Vista x64 ... build 6003 updates from Aug 2020:

It seems that Microsoft fixed the timer issue, as seen above. .... bla bla bla "

So you suggest those are also fake news , like the case when @Dixel and @Vistapocalypse earlier busted (you ?, don't remember) 

https://msfn.org/board/topic/179810-download-links-for-all-vista-sp2-32-bit-and-64-bit-updates-from-windows-update/?do=findComment&comment=1187356

In that case , needs to be reported or at least some comment left there with a warning for yet another fake news , don't you think ? 

Please do not mention me for no reason. I have no plans to install Vista on Haswell or newer (and it sounds like you don’t either). I also have no plans to install ESU updates on Vista, since I have no ESU license for Server 2008 and I am not a cybercriminal. (Server 2008’s EOL was in January 2020.) Nevertheless, it appears that I reacted favorably to that September 7, 2020 post, as did win32. You left out part of it though:

On 9/7/2020 at 7:08 PM, daniel_k said:

Unfortunately, there are still random issues, specially with UAC prompts: permissions are not properly granted. Even so, it's clearly much more stable.

Do they really say “dude” in France? In America, only id*** speak that way.

4 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Please do not mention me for no reason. I have no plans to install Vista on Haswell or newer (and it sounds like you don’t either). I also have no plans to install ESU updates on Vista, since I have no ESU license for Server 2008 and I am not a cybercriminal. (Server 2008’s EOL was in January 2020.) Nevertheless, it appears that I reacted favorably to that September 7, 2020 post, as did win32. You left out part of it though:

Do they really say “dude” in France? In America, only id*** speak that way.

First and foremost , I am going to upgrade, hence the question . I wrote about my upgrade here.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180779-win-vistausb-3-drivters-how-to-integrate/#comment-1210453

"not a cybercriminal" - what are you implying ? Are you implying the person who wrote that comment is the one ?

"left out part of it though" - there was a reason , I'm not interested in UAC prompts and permissions.

I'm only interested in the damn "timer" . 

In France, we have the most beautiful foul language , which I'm not going to write here .

But I'll answer regarding the word "dude".

First : I didn't write it to you !! So why are you so excited then?

Second : between the Europeans, it's some sort of a joke that you'll not (never) understand, tied up to the cheap American B/C-grade films.

Well , I know (not personally, of course) this one American @NotHereToPlayGames who constantly says dude. Though, I'm not sure he'll like your insult.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/180462-my-browser-builds-part-2/page/109/#comment-1186608

https://msfn.org/board/topic/182304-extreme-explorer-360-chromium-78-86-general-discussion/page/59/#comment-1203756

And even two "dudes" in one comment :

Those are the first that came up in the site search !

Also , don't forget to explain your opinion about people who say "dude" to win32 :

@D.Draker Hi, You quoted this post:

And than you said

On 12/27/2021 at 11:08 PM, D.Draker said:

Hi ! Could you please confirm or deny what he says ? I refuse to beleive that ,but still , perhaps we need to try . Unfortunately, I don't have Haswell myself . I'm assuming he's talking about the rollup from August 2020. 

So you were assuming that Jakob99 was talking about the rollup from August 2020, so I said that Jakob99 meant Windows 7 build 6519, because i thought that you are not really into Windows beta builds. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.

About the 6003 update rollup:

@win32 already said

There was a partial fix for Vista in that time (some of the timer discrepancies were fixed but not all).

So i consider the case closed.

Offtopic:

It's hard to say whether the style on this forum is formal or informal. This is why I think some people may consider "dude" rude while some may not.:hello:

Edited by TSNH