AutoCAD 2007 refuses to start on XP SP3

baluw

As written in the title.

I am trying to run AutoCAD 2007 - I have gotten the software from a family member who has bought it years ago, sadly it simply refuses to launch on my XP SP3 machine, even though it perfectly ran the same copy on the same exact PC 10+ years ago. I get two errors saying the same exact thing, as shown below:

image.png.cd4aed090fdc471cbf54cad021dfd442.png

(Roughly translated: title says "acad.exe - Application Error", contents of messagebox say "App hasn't been properly initialized (0xe06d7363). Press the OK button to quit the application.")

After pressing OK the same error pops up once again, then acad fully closes.

The OS has been fully updated, only thing it's missing is Windows Search (because it's just bloatware IMO). DirectX 9 is present, so are all the possible vcredists for WinXP and .NET versions.

Usually on never OS versions there are more detailed logs for such crashes in eventvwr, sadly XP seems not to have this yet as the message I found in there is an exact copy of what's on the screenshot below with an added link to a long gone Microsoft website about the "Help and Tech Support Center".

Please forgive me if something is unclear, English is still not my primary language and even after learning it for years I still sometimes mix up the grammar structures between Polish and English...

Thanks in advance for your help.

EDIT: Installing both of the Service Packs for AutoCAD 2007 doesn't change anything.

Edited by baluw

Greetings to Poland. Could you try and reinstall AutoCAD? Maybe one critical file for the program got a "bit error" over the years. Bits are falling apart over time, unfortuneatly.

Further testing: Stick another hard drive in your computer and re-install Windows XP and try to install AutoCAD then again.

2 minutes ago, Gansangriff said:

Greetings to Poland. Could you try and reinstall AutoCAD? Maybe one critical file for the program got a "bit error" over the years. Bits are falling apart over time, unfortuneatly.

Further testing: Stick another hard drive in your computer and re-install Windows XP and try to install AutoCAD then again.

Greetings to Germany :D

I've already tried reinstalling, even downloaded a copy of the disc from the Web and still nothing; same error occurs. Also, I don't think this is XP-related, as my current installation is literally (at best) 30 hours old now.

We can safely exclude the CD as an issue, as it installed without any issues on my Windows 10 rig...

IMG_20211116_180656_525.png

EDIT: And it also works fine on a fresh Windows 10 VM. I have no clue why...

F8BZzK8.png

Edited by baluw

15 minutes ago, Rod Steel said:

I google your code and found this.

While yes, I guess I need to check other GPU drivers (although I don't think there are any newer ones by Intel and I am more than sure that we (as in, the company where I help with IT) currently have PC's running this exact spec as well as drivers), it also seems like this is a completely different error (as this one is called by ACAD itself, and not by Windows).

20 minutes ago, Rod Steel said:

Also i find this YouTube video. Hope it will help you.

It doesn't, as it not only talks about a newer version of ACAD, but also Windows. Also, the same argument as above applies (not the same error).

Anyway, I'm going to grab another copy and test with it. I'm also getting a Optiplex 3010 pretty soon, so I guess I will be able to check whether the issue persists on that hardware (of course on XP).

On 11/16/2021 at 5:04 PM, baluw said:

sadly it simply refuses to launch on my XP SP3 machine, even though it perfectly ran the same copy on the same exact PC 10+ years ago.

Does it download anything while installing? If it does, then that won't be "the same copy" anymore.

Try to install while disconnected from the internet. Don't mind the activation yet, just check if it starts when installed fully offline.

Edited by RainyShadow

Error 0xe06d7363 with autoCAD; it seems like it can mean almost anything.

I just fixed an AutoCAD 2002 on Windows 7 installation, which had this particular error message.

The fix was in this case to empty out this registry key: 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\R15.0\ACAD-1:409\File History

And maybe prevent non-admin access to it, as to prevent future such issues.

This AutoCAD 2002 can give all kinds of strange behaviors when the file history list contains a non-existing drive.

22 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Does it download anything while installing? If it does, then that won't be "the same copy" anymore.

Try to install while disconnected from the internet. Don't mind the activation yet, just check if it starts when installed fully offline.

It does not, as far as I'm aware. I've installed it offline as well and absolutely nothing changes. I'm starting to think it might really be graphics-related, however as I've already said the same PC ran this and newer versions of acad for years with no problems...

4 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Does the 2007 version have the "Today" dialog that pops up on start and it connects to the internet for "news" and "library download"?  If so, disable that "Today" dialog.  It's been several years and I don't recall which version AutoDesk snuck that "feature" in.

Unsure, although even if then I'm unable to disable it since the app doesn't start at all. I double click the shortcut (or executable directly) and I get an instant error message. 

17 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

The LT version of AutoCAD required .NET - are all of your .NET Frameworks up to date?

Yes, I used a an SP3 iso streamlined with all the updates and .nets as well as vcredists. I might be short on posready patches but everything else is on board

2 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

POSReady patches BROKE several of my cad apps  --  UNINSTALL ALL POSREADY would be my next step.  Better yet, redo your iso slipstream without the "pos" POSReady.

Can say that AutoCAD 2002 (full / non-lite) works on Windows XP with all POSReady updates just fine.