How To Fix Weather Gadget Windows Vista & 7 - Quick Fix 100%

Youssef Pro

How To Fix Weather Gadget Windows Vista & 7 - Quick Fix 100%

sddefault.jpg.fcf7e1f8b973f03c6c07995aa8c7c054.jpg

Tutorial: You don't need to download any gadgets or malicious programs! WORKING 2020!!! How to repair weather gadget default application from Windows 7. Fix cannot connect to service error! Follow my steps:

Copy config.xml file to: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live\Services\Cache" and edit settings.ini to change location. Now is very easy to find location code with this site: https://weather.codes/

sidebar-cache-4.png.2f357307ab52bcde5dad2a766ba2efe3.png

NEW link (config.xml)- last modified date 2017 (working without edit with notepad): File download link here (Mediafire)

This completes the settings to fix the startup problem.

But many users do not find the Config.xml file when they open the "Cache" folder. In this case, you need to download it from the link below, extract it from the archive and place it in the specified folder, and then perform all the manipulations with Notepad, which were discussed above.

Modification

After starting the tool, you need to configure its settings.

Point the cursor over the "Weather" application icon. To the right of it, a block of icons will be displayed. We click on the "Parameters" icon in the form of a key.

Edited by Youssef Pro

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

https://weather.codes/ doesn't seem to work. Never mind, being in the US, I just entered my Zip code in the app's settings, and it worked - until Dec 1, when it quit. :realmad: Now it looks like this:

image.png.d016f8cd7b6b6d6035d1258670a53d5d.png

I can click on the city name, or Thursday or Friday, and it will open an MSN Web page with the missing forecast.

But if I try to re-enter my Zip code in the settings, it just says "Location not found". I think on Dec. 1, M$ disabled the Web service that sends the .xml file the app uses.

Edited by Mathwiz

21 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

I think on Dec. 1, M$ disabled the Web service that sends the .xml file the app uses.

No.

On Dec. 1 your Config.xml turned unmodified for at least 72 hours. It is the date last modified that makes or breaks the gadget.

Well, that's crazy - I guess I can schedule a task to "touch" config.xml daily, but if that's necessary, how did the thing ever work?

And another issue: touching Config.xml worked, but only after I also closed the gadget, reopened it, repositioned it where I want, resized it, and re-entered my location!

That's an absurd amount of work to go through every three days. So, if I "touch" Config.xml daily (so that it never gets 72 hours old), will the weather gadget keep working without having to go through all that?

Edited by Mathwiz

Yes, it will. The file used to be available online at a Microsoft URL. It used to get retrieved to the user profile automatically when activating the gadget and then updated regularly. The Microsoft online template went out of service soon after mainstream support ended.

Edited by Volume Z

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the explanation. NirSoft to the rescue: I set this command to run daily in Task Scheduler:

nircmd setfiletime Config.xml now now

It worked! Until last weekend, that is. Then it unexpectedly froze again, looking like this:

image.png.8b7da85a57ae474421299ba90f35eec0.png

The only thing that changes now is the background gets lighter during daytime and darker at night. I tried resetting my location, but it remains stuck on last week's forecast no matter where in the US I set it to.

• 1 year later...
21 hours ago, xpandvistafan said:

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but this actually works. It seems it connects to http://weather.service.msn.com/ which was supposed to be discontinued April 2016. 

Just a fellow member here, but I much prefer reviving old threads to starting a new thread on the same topic.  That way I get to read the previous posts.