Youtube is hiding dislike count from videos. Censorship or your benefit? (spoiler it is first one)

Mr.Scienceman2000

8 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Official API will supposedly remove access on 13th December. As I understand it, the server the script connects to is unofficial and will preserve dislike count after that date, so I guess best case scenario is historical data for videos up to that point in time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/r0bwnn/return_youtube_dislike_stats_extension_working/

I wonder if we will get alternative service that alter youtube using scripts to show dislikes that are not hosted by youtube?

7 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I've been meaning to ask , are there any alternatives to YT . Preferably without the need to log in , as I heard some rumours , yotube will soon force everyone to be logged-in , like they did with instagram, thank you . 

there is peertube and few others but nobody seems actually competite with youtube properly in contect. Peertube can be self hosted but is kinda bloated. I have been thinking doing video service way it was done back in day. Put videos as mp4 on webpage that everyone can download and watch from hard drive. If you want watch youtube invidious seems like best option for windows and pipe viewer with mpv for linux

7 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Seriously ? 1/2tb drives , it's almost 2022 ! Well , if you collect 360p then I guess it's fine. I have 6TB additional drive on my main PC and I can't squeese my own videos from the camera onto it . I wouldn't purchase anything smaller than 8-10TB these days. I need a new drive ASAP.

Most of contect is pre 2010 down to 1960s so it is on PAL VHS quality or PAL tv quality. I currently got around 100gb of archived video contect plus few hundred more on personally recorded videos and pics and too much music. With larger drives problems seems to backing them up.

Is YouTube trolling us? Seems to be showing dislikes again, I can only tell the script works without looking at the console since it replaces rounded numbers. BTW, I amended the script multiple times the day I posted it. It wasn't showing exact numbers on more feature rich browsers at the beginning since I overlooked compact notation parameter for number formatting which less featured browsers don't understand and ignore, but other browsers do and then show rounded numbers again.

I don't have a good experience with Invidious on less featured browsers. Some videos just refuse to play, but then I try them on Invidious on recent Firefox/Chromium and there they work (never mind, difference between browsers was my fault, but this is one example that is still relevant) So it's kinda pointless to me, if I wait a bit for the YouTube site to load initially, it works fine on poorer browsers I use (for now), so can watch anything (I usually don't encounter geo restricted videos) and if I still want smoother experience, can use recent Chromium or Firefox anyway...

Edited by UCyborg

On 11/26/2021 at 4:56 AM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I wonder if we will get alternative service that alter youtube using scripts to show dislikes that are not hosted by youtube?

I think no , everything goes in one direction : monopolies .

P.S. Will you please add the article the to the title ? Thank you ! 

Youtube is hiding the dislike count from the videos. Censorship or your benefit? (spoiler: it's the first one)

https://preply.com/en/blog/8-rules-for-using-the-article-the-in-english/

Tools that interact with YouTube have a short lifespan before they stop working. It's not worth working on this script for the dislike count, and switching to a compatible browser.

I still see the button. But from what I've read it's supposed to be hidden from all videos on the platform to most people, not a narrowly defined group of them. Therefore the definite article shouldn't be used. The counter is a specific aspect of each video page, so I'm in agreement there.

On 11/28/2021 at 1:40 PM, j7n said:

....the dislike count, and switching to a compatible browser.

.... The counter is a specific aspect of each video page, so I'm in agreement there.

??? You just wrote it yourself.

You can replace "the" with "its" .

Youtube is hiding the dislike count from its videos. Censorship or your benefit? (spoiler: it's the first one).

The dislike count is something that was implemented by youtube for the videos on their website (not just some abstract videos).

Edited by Dixel
jaclaz found a typo

18 hours ago, Dixel said:

I think no , everything goes in one direction : monopolies .

i think you meant already went. Tell me is there any real alternative that would not have any depencies on big corpos? Many times it all comes back to library or render engine or other from big corpos.

18 hours ago, Dixel said:

P.S. Will you please add the article the to the title ? Thank you ! 

Youtube is hiding the dislike count from the videos. Censorship or your benefit? (spoiler: it's the first one)

https://preply.com/en/blog/8-rules-for-using-the-article-the-in-english/

8 hours ago, Dixel said:

??? You just wrote it yourself.

You can replace "the" with "it's" .

Youtube is hiding the dislike count from it's videos. Censorship or your benefit? (spoiler: it's the first one).

The dislike count is something that was implemented by youtube for the videos on their website (not just some abstract videos).

I cannot see use of articles on this one yet until is offical. Lets hope lack of those wont bother you too much

19 hours ago, Dixel said:

You can replace "the" with "it's" .

Youtube is hiding the dislike count from it's videos. Censorship or your benefit? (spoiler: it's the first one)..

... if you want to make a common (but severe) grammar error.

its videos, NOT it's.

https://everywordcounts.co.uk/it-s-or-its/

Besides, Youtube could be considered a collective name :dubbio:, considering that there is an implied team of developers or marketers, that would make it

Youtube are hiding the dislike count from their videos

On the other hand, the "its" or "their" appears redundant,  if they were hiding dislike count from videos that were not their own ones, or not on their own platform/site, that would be a much bigger problem :ph34r:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

12 hours ago, jaclaz said:

... if you want to make a common (but severe) grammar error.

its videos, NOT it's.

https://everywordcounts.co.uk/it-s-or-its/

Besides, Youtube could be considered a collective name :dubbio:, considering that there is an implied team of developers or marketers, that would make it

Youtube are hiding the dislike count from their videos

On the other hand, the "its" or "their" appears redundant,  if they were hiding dislike count from videos that were not their own ones, or not on their own platform/site, that would be a much bigger problem :ph34r:

jaclaz

An interesting discussion, I want to join . While I agree that "its" could be dropped , I don't fully understand the purpose of what you wrote after besides . In his sentense Youtube could NOT be considered a collective name because he wrote "youtube is" , NOT "are", so saying "their" would be a severe grammar error , don't you think  ?  So how is this relevant ?

20 hours ago, jaclaz said:

... if you want to make a common...

jaclaz, I like when you're being pedantic (which is quite frequently , lol) . Thank you for noticing this typo , the post has been edited . 

And I like when you're being sarcastic (which is quite frequently too) , have a nice day !

On 11/29/2021 at 4:05 AM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Tell me is there any real alternative that would not have any depencies on big corpos?

There won't be until the CCP controls the World media.

• 2 months later...
On 11/19/2021 at 7:16 AM, j7n said:

Since a few months ago, download speeds with YT-DL have been cut to 50-85 kB/s, and watching in real time with media players is no longer possible.

Watching in real time seems to be fine with PotPlayer on my end.

On 11/26/2021 at 5:56 AM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:
On 11/25/2021 at 9:17 PM, UCyborg said:

Official API will supposedly remove access on 13th December. As I understand it, the server the script connects to is unofficial and will preserve dislike count after that date, so I guess best case scenario is historical data for videos up to that point in time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/r0bwnn/return_youtube_dislike_stats_extension_working/

The extension mentioned there uses https://returnyoutubedislikeapi.com/, which is the alternative service hosting these statistics. But it depends on users using the extension to submit their vote (the user script they have does not have the function to submit votes), as only historical data will remain otherwise. As per FAQ on https://returnyoutubedislike.com/faq:

Where does the extension get its data?

A combination of archived data from before the offical YouTube dislike API shut down, and extrapolated extension user behavior.

Edited by UCyborg