Youtube is hiding dislike count from videos. Censorship or your benefit? (spoiler it is first one)

Mr.Scienceman2000

My DL speeds from my Dutch IP are somewhat fine . It starts with 1.5Mbps and then (after approx. 50%) drops to 512Kib/s . Suffice to say , I have a fully operational 1 Gigabit internet link , so definitely not limited by my ISP. I shall not name the cool tool I use , youtube staff will read this and block it . Though , I can share via PM with certain friends and @win32.

I do not have a YT account , I don't care about likes and comments . Though, I'm definitely against their commie censorship. 

P.S.

My neighbour had an account , but now he just can't login because they demand his mobile phone , and not just a phone , they demand his Dutch phone in his precise location , yes they said "we need your phone from the place you created your account " ! 

Of course , 4k and even 1080p HQ vids are choppy as hell at such terrible speeds if watched in a browser.

Edited by Dixel
added P.S. , thought might be interesting

5 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

It is based on Python so there is hope make it work on XP. All exe file contains is py file and python runtimes on portable format.

No , it's not possible . Why ? Because it uses ffmpeg that is not supported on XP . The last working version off ffmpeg is 7 or so years old , it will be glitchy as hell with their newer videos , I've managed to port a version from 2020 to Vista and it works fine , but not for XP. So I'm afraid @j7n is out of luck with this one.

I don't use ffmpeg. It is only needed for combining video with audio. In SMPlayer the separate audio and video streams are taken as-is by MPV. I can also drag them into Mkvmerge GUI. These programs accept the Dash variety of MP4. Fortunately this format is old enough now. The limiting factor is the download speed, which makes the player go for a second, then have a long pause.

But a few people have released new ffmpeg compiles. Perhaps ffmpeg could even be found somewhere on this forum.

4 hours ago, Dixel said:

No , it's not possible . Why ? Because it uses ffmpeg that is not supported on XP . The last working version off ffmpeg is 7 or so years old , it will be glitchy as hell with their newer videos , I've managed to port a version from 2020 to Vista and it works fine , but not for XP. So I'm afraid @j7n is out of luck with this one.

1 hour ago, j7n said:

I don't use ffmpeg. It is only needed for combining video with audio. In SMPlayer the separate audio and video streams are taken as-is by MPV. I can also drag them into Mkvmerge GUI. These programs accept the Dash variety of MP4. Fortunately this format is old enough now. The limiting factor is the download speed, which makes the player go for a second, then have a long pause.

But a few people have released new ffmpeg compiles. Perhaps ffmpeg could even be found somewhere on this forum.

I actually had newer XP compatible FFMPEG library I use with youtube-dlg so that is not issue. I need look where got it originally. It was from this board I think.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

There's a user script out there that restores dislike count. It breaks YouTube's TOS though and who knows, they might go radical and block public access to their API. Two minor corrections are required to get it working with UXP browsers since they don't support optional chaining operator. I also changed the function that periodically checks if the buttons are in place yet to fire every 1,5 s rather than 111 ms.

Also not sure why use both @match and @include in the header.

@connect should also be added to point to the address the script connects to fetch likes, otherwise, TamperMonkey issues a warning and offers to add it to user whitelist of XHR requests for the script (unless you actually want the warning for some reason).

I haven't tested @grant behavior on TamperMonkey yet, but for some reason, at least on Greasemonkey for Pale Moon 3.31.4, GM_xmlhttpRequest can be called without specifying it in @grant. This is strange, why have @grant in the first place then?

Edit: Current version of TamperMonkey seems to normally block the special API not specified in @grant.

Edited by UCyborg

• Mr.Scienceman2000 changed the title to Youtube is hiding dislike count from videos. Censorship or your benefit? (spoiler it is first one)
6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

There's a user script out there that restores dislike count.

Could you link that user script? I may give it a shot on my end to see if works.

6 hours ago, UCyborg said:

It breaks YouTube's TOS though and who knows, they might go radical and block public access to their API.

wonder if this is just way block average person from seeing them since that what companies seems to do. That point using private API may work but prepare for account termination.

49 minutes ago, Tripredacus said:

The topic title is incorrect. As far as I can tell, they just removed the amount of dislikes that a video has received. The dislike button is still present and usable and presumably the uploader can still see how many dislikes there are.

I fixed it.

On 11/19/2021 at 11:22 AM, Dixel said:

I do not have a YT account , I don't care about likes and comments . Though, I'm definitely against their commie censorship.

I have but it is pretty much leftover from past and mostly use it to comment...rarely It had recent upload for fun that got shadowbanned along my channel but that is about it. Got feeling will lose channel someday since youtube been deleting my comments with their autofilter. I tested comment on my own channel video and it disappeared. Feels any word criticising big corpros are not ok.

My neighbour had an account , but now he just can't login because they demand his mobile phone , and not just a phone , they demand his Dutch phone in his precise location , yes they said "we need your phone from the place you created your account " !

What is also interesting is google treats email over IMAP "Insecure" and need tweak settings in order to make it work. Email should be only used over third party client in my opinion not trough webmail or their email app.

Of course , 4k and even 1080p HQ vids are choppy as hell at such terrible speeds if watched in a browser.

i prefer store content I watch locally. In that case only bottleneck is my hardware. There is reason why I got 2x1tb drives on both XP machines and few 2tb external drives. I wont trust youtube storing material that is historically valuable. I save them with multiple backups to try preserve them for future generations since silicon valley wont care.

One example proved me enough youtube wont care from history. In Finland we have KAVI that got RITVA archive with Radio and TV material from early days to this day. That is closed archive and ability watch material been limited to few locations in Finland due "copyright". Those places do not allow copy contect for own use but some ended up bypassing that smart no usb ports and no internet protection with use of Camcoders and Cameras and uploaded contect to youtube so anyone could enjoy it.

What this got to do with Youtube? What KAVI ended up doing was uploading all their contect into youtube contect ID platform that ended up not only removing those captures but also remove any VHS rips someone did. And youtube did not care from fair use or it being historically notable to store.

As someone who is interested on history I believe that all old material should be openly accessible for everyone to research and learn and not locked to one centralised place. You need understand history to understand current time and need to learn from past mistakes.

10 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Could you link that user script? I may give it a shot on my end to see if works.

https://github.com/Anarios/return-youtube-dislike/raw/main/Extensions/UserScript/Return Youtube Dislike.user.js (main GitHub page)

Needs at least Chrome 80 or Firefox 74 to work.

I modified it a bit to work with older browsers and to also replace default likes count since missing dislikes were replaced with exact ones (as exact as their actual counter is) while likes remained rounded. Now it's consistent that both numbers are exact.

https://gist.github.com/UCyborg/ad57630260a08f71701be75f7d60aed6/raw/YouTube_exact_(DIS)like_counter.user.js (main GitHub page)

Edited by UCyborg

17 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I modified it a bit to work with older browsers and to also replace default likes count since missing dislikes were replaced with exact ones (as exact as their actual counter is) while likes remained rounded. Now it's consistent that both numbers are exact.

https://gist.github.com/UCyborg/ad57630260a08f71701be75f7d60aed6/raw/YouTube_exact_(DIS)like_counter.user.js (main GitHub page)

i need test that on my end and report back.

Also seems invidious can still read youtube dislike from api

2 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Also seems invidious can still read youtube dislike from api

Official API will supposedly remove access on 13th December. As I understand it, the server the script connects to is unofficial and will preserve dislike count after that date, so I guess best case scenario is historical data for videos up to that point in time.

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/r0bwnn/return_youtube_dislike_stats_extension_working/

Edited by UCyborg

I've been meaning to ask , are there any alternatives to YT . Preferably without the need to log in , as I heard some rumours , yotube will soon force everyone to be logged-in , like they did with instagram, thank you . 

On 11/24/2021 at 3:30 PM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

2x1tb drives on both XP machines and few 2tb external drives

Seriously ? 1/2tb drives , it's almost 2022 ! Well , if you collect 360p then I guess it's fine. I have 6TB additional drive on my main PC and I can't squeese my own videos from the camera onto it . I wouldn't purchase anything smaller than 8-10TB these days. I need a new drive ASAP.