Youtube is hiding dislike count from videos. Censorship or your benefit? (spoiler it is first one)

Mr.Scienceman2000

https://blog.youtube/news-and-events/update-to-youtube/

in short youtube will be hiding dislike button because "We want to create an inclusive and respectful environment where creators have the opportunity to succeed and feel safe to express themselves. This is just one of many steps we are taking to continue to protect creators from harassment."

I will state my opinion first about it. These days I am mostly using Youtube trough Pipe-Viewer or Invidious and rarely login into offical site to do anything. I did not know youtube did any testing on hiding dislikes until read that.Back in day youtube had star rating that gave very good image from video if was good or not but sadly that was taken away in favor of like and dislike system which was still ok. Originally dislike/like ratio had red/green bar where green was likes and red dislikes. That itself showed if video was worth looking. It like star system was simple way to state your opinion from video without leaving comment.

Now youtube is planning to remove dislike button because it is apparently offending some when they get dislikes. Another step for walled garden.

Really if biggest worry in someone life is that someone dislikes your video and wont have worries from finances, work or anything else I would be more than happy take that person position. If you cant take any critic do not make any contect or state your opinion. I am ready to take critic from my saying and it wont ruin my day or life. I may be angry for reading some personally insulting criticing nosense but it is someone opinion that makes that person look stupid. Cant people these day stand any critics?!

I guess next whole dislike button is remove for good and next goes comments and likes and everything else...

what are other opinion on this?

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

Yeah, this has been reported before on reddit forum. For me, the dislike button has always been there until now. I've also been told that the likes don't always count because the system can treat them as not genuine in certain cases, such as if you watch the video outside the system, and come back only to like.

I don't see how a large number of dislikes would practically hurt the author. Controversial videos with the likes split are still offered by the system. A significant amount of dislikes indicate that I should take the presented arguments with a grain of salt.

So how are we to react to demonstrations of perpetual motion machines and flat Earth now? YouTube users used to have more moderation powers to vote for spam comments. But now the System wants to be the only completely anonymous law enforcement for viruses and racism.

20 minutes ago, j7n said:

Yeah, this has been reported before on reddit forum. For me, the dislike button has always been there until now. I've also been told that the likes don't always count because the system can treat them as not genuine in certain cases, such as if you watch the video outside the system, and come back only to like.

I found out Youtube automatically remove some comments too for same criteria. I had my comments deleted because watched video on Pipe-Viewer and MPV under linux and logged into youtube to comment then logged out. Same happened when used invidious and went to youtube. Also certain words are hard banned like faggot which is does even mean insult on some use cases, but according youtube it does

3 hours ago, j7n said:

But now the System wants to be the only completely anonymous law enforcement for viruses and racism.

Someone living in Eastern Europe can only tremble watching phenomenons, known from the times of communist takeover, creep back into mainstream politics.

The restriction of open debate , but most importantly  the restriction of the right to participate in a debate.

17 hours ago, Dixel said:

Someone living in Eastern Europe can only tremble watching phenomenons, known from the times of communist takeover, creep back into mainstream politics.

what scares me is that nobody learnt anything and history keep repeating itself. Back in day there was no internet or other sources to do research today there is but everyone still think those are ok. You can easily find reality to those problems from internet but like you like seen nobody seems to bother

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

I suspect that control over moderation on social media will eventually be transferred over to governments. They will codify it into some kind of law. It's much less likely that Facebook or YouTube will get dismantled into a thousand forums.

On YouTube, I now often speak to a wall with an internal monologue when the comments get deleted.

The society is incredibly sensitive about "misinformation" nowadays. Videos that are clearly saying untruths can be entertaining to watch, trying to understand the reasoning of the authors, and read heated arguments in the comments section. Most uploaders have a fanbase who like these presentations no matter what, and help out.

If only positive reaction is possible, then the discussion turns into an echo chamber, just like in recent past when authors could press the heart on comments that agreed with them, or only expressed shallow compliments.

7 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I see number of dislikes. Pretty sure I didn't few days ago.

what I noticed is that even though youtube does not invidious (third party youtube frontend) still fetches dislikes. I have not looked into youtube site yet but got feeling values still exists but they are not added as visible

On 11/12/2021 at 11:44 PM, j7n said:

On YouTube, I now often speak to a wall with an internal monologue when the comments get deleted.

The society is incredibly sensitive about "misinformation" nowadays. Videos that are clearly saying untruths can be entertaining to watch, trying to understand the reasoning of the authors, and read heated arguments in the comments section. Most uploaders have a fanbase who like these presentations no matter what, and help out.

If only positive reaction is possible, then the discussion turns into an echo chamber, just like in recent past when authors could press the heart on comments that agreed with them, or only expressed shallow compliments.

I actually would say we need both "false" information and "real" information and user need to make their own decisions based on arguments. World is full of examples where information first accused false has been true at end. I want my belief to be questioned properly because if I can still argue against it properly can assume it is correct.

The dislike counter has only briefly disappeared for me, about 5 days ago. Seems like they are doing A/B testing as usual.

I do wonder if Invidious will continue to fetch them once the feature is actually removed from official YouTube clients.

Edited by win32

1 hour ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

we need both "false" information and "real" information

Of course. Nobody should accept a statement as true without careful analysis of all presented arguments. I don't see how untruths could harm an informed viewer significantly.

How are you guys watching YouTube videos lately? Since a few months ago, download speeds with YT-DL have been cut to 50-85 kB/s, and watching in real time with media players is no longer possible. I tried going to the website. Jesus, some channels have advertisements every 5 minutes, and cut the narrator mid sentence. And it is sometimes the most "harmful content" about sports betting, and how to effortlessly make impossible amounts of money.

1 minute ago, j7n said:

Of course. Nobody should accept a statement as true without careful analysis of all presented arguments.

There goes 90+ percent of users on any "social media" platform!  Ten-second attention spans that accept as true without a shred of "thought" and click a d@mn "like" button then move on to their next ten-second span of attention.

10 minutes ago, j7n said:

How are you guys watching YouTube videos lately? Since a few months ago, download speeds with YT-DL have been cut to 50-85 kB/s, and watching in real time with media players is no longer possible. I tried going to the website. Jesus, some channels have advertisements every 5 minutes, and cut the narrator mid sentence. And it is sometimes the most "harmful content" about sports betting, and how to effortlessly make impossible amounts of money.

Pipe-Viewer and Invidious been my way to go or download videos to hdd and then watch. Youtube seems to be sabotaging invidious since I keep getting "playback aborted due network error" sometimes and issue is not my network. Same seems affect youtube-dlp. Offical site lacks those issues

52 minutes ago, win32 said:

I do wonder if Invidious will continue to fetch them once the feature is actually removed from official YouTube clients.

I wonder same too. And will data be accessible trough browser developer tools and just hidden from visuals?

11 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

There goes 90+ percent of users on any "social media" platform!  Ten-second attention spans that accept as true without a shred of "thought" and click a d@mn "like" button then move on to their next ten-second span of attention.

ever had situation where someone says something completely false he though was real since social media had it? I have many times and makes me question am I only that questions anything.

27 minutes ago, j7n said:

Youtube-dlP claims to have a workaround for speed and a part of videos requiring credit card verification. But it does not run on WinXP.

It is based on Python so there is hope make it work on XP. All exe file contains is py file and python runtimes on portable format.