[solved] StartAllBack - search gives no result

bob67

Hi,

Thanks for StartAllBack, great app

I have an issue though with StartAllBack 3.0.5 under Windows 11 Pro (21H2, 22000.282).
Whatever is typed in the search box gives no result and shows the message 'Working on it' :

373547374_Startmenusearch-StartAllBack3.0.5-KO.png.747bc54ec994b90eb74331d47e67444c.png

The standard Windows 11 search feature works properly though :

1712675596_Startmenusearch-Windows11-OK.png.795881d52175cd3f8db9f69daefcb206.png

Would be great to have a fix

Interesting. Since I've never seen this, and it's not an underlying issue (i.e. doesn't happen without SaB), is it possible that it relates to a particular combo of SaB settings that I don't have? Maybe try "Set default values" in SaB's Start menu config area, though I don't know how comprehensive that is?

BTW, 3.1.2 just dropped, so give it a try.

Resetting to default settings did the trick

The issue was due to the fact that the Start Menu's setting 'Search public folders' was not ticked.

I don't use at all the default user profile location (%UserProfile%) and put all my files into a custom location (outside %UserProfile%).

And at first, I thought that 'public folders' was related to %Public% (C:\Users\Public), so I excluded it.

Maybe 'Search public folders' could be renamed to reflect the actual behavior.

Anyway, it's working now. Thank you !

Edited by bob67
typo

I thought the same thing about public=Public when first going through the settings, and I see now that I did uncheck it for that reason. So, in my case it doesn't matter for search in my profile, which is in the default location.

So, I'm not exactly sure what to think, but I think it's safe to assume that something wasn't accounted for with that setting relative to your uncommon scenario.

Does MS still consider that an "unsupported" config, btw? I think at some point such a relocation caused big problems when it came to Windows upgrades, but that's a bit hazy now.

Unlike my previous Windows setups, this time I did not relocate anything for this new Windows 11 setup.
I simply don't use the default user profile location, which is cluttered with everything I don't need.

So I simply use another location, and ensure it's properly indexed (via Indexing Options).

• bob67 changed the title to [solved] StartAllBack - search gives no result