Microsoft is ENDING Support for OneDrive on Windows 7/8/8.1

yoltboy01

Well.. I can't lie when I tell you how surprised I was after recently reading a new article, about Microsoft ending support for OneDrive on Windows 7, 8 and even 8.1 in 2022. I can somehow unterstand that the support for Windows 7 and 8.0 is ending, because both reached their End Of Life already, however pulling the plug on Windows 8.1 soo early is just a typical Microsoft-move. That reminds me of poor Windows Vista, which was always coupled up with Windows XP, when companies ended their support for XP (Firefox, Chrome, MS Office, Skype, Spotify..). Looks like Windows 8's support end for many Apps will be alongside Windows 7's. I just hope that Google extends their Chrome Support for Windows 7 again or that they dont pull the plug on Win8 alongside W7 on that day.

Note: Not only the Desktop App reaches it's End-Of-Life, but starting in March 2022 (5 MONTHS FROM NOW?!) you can also NO LONGER synch your data with the App

Source: End of support for OneDrive desktop application on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 - Microsoft Tech Community

re: synchronizing data

Kind of reminds me of a former employer.

The Sales Manager had THREE different software programs to "synchronize data" out of an immense fear of losing customer data.

One was a paid-for utility - Carbonite.

The second was a company-wide utility - Synology.

The third was OneDrive - for no other reason than it came with Windows.

One of his customer spreadsheets became corrupted and it was right before lunch break that he noticed it.

It was top of the To Do List when we returned from lunch.

Carbonite had already overwritten the good archived file with the corrupted archive and he didn't have it set up to keep different versions of the same file.

He had Synology configured to only synchronize "one way" and two other salesmen also saved to that file.  He could retrieve their copies but not his own changes.

He was unaware that OneDrive only synchronized one specific folder and he never saved anything to that folder.

THREE programs to prevent losing data - and he lost the data anyway!

Well you should not use cloud to store important data anyway. There is no cloud just other people computers and by sending data there you trust unknown entity with all private and possibly classified data.

Use external hard drives combined with cd-r/dvd-r/dvd-r DL/Bluray to backup and do offsite backups.

Optical media is secondary backup and hdd primary

Also if you do not want go to win10 to avoid spyware features but install newer ms software like office 365, you made it poitnless. Office loads quite bunch of stuff to your machine and phones home from everything.

Latest office I use is 2007 and after that libre office or openoffice

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

Agreed!

That sales manager used to laugh at me because I saved NOTHING to the hard drive.  He stopped laughing after losing his data.

EVERYTHING was saved to TWO memory sticks, an external hard dive, AND was synchronized to a "work folder" on my HOME computer.

Only three people in the entire company had USB Port access - me, IT Manager, and VP (I'm sure other higher-ups did also, but only three that I interacted with).

Most of the company computers were so tightly locked down that you were locked out of your computer if you plugged your phone in to the USB Port to charge your phone.

The external hard drive was more of a safety precaution agains the OS crashing.  Reinstall the OS, all of my data remains untouched.

One memory stick stayed at the office, the other was locked in the glove box whenever I was not at the office.

If the office burnt to the ground, I still had the home computer "work folder" and the glove box memory stick.

If my house burnt to the ground, I still had the office desk memory stick and the glove box memory stick.

If the car caught fire, I still had the office desk memory stick and the home computer "work folder".

If two or three caught fire simultaneously, well, come on, let's be realistic, I would play the Lottery if I was that good at beating the odds.

Never EVER lost any data.

Still do things that way to this day.

I laugh immensely at people that buy computers with terabyte hard drives - because my hard drives are for the OS only.

11 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

I just hope that Google extends their Chrome Support for Windows 7 again

Umm, they extended it for Windows 7 until January 15, 2023. Microsoft Edge support for Windows 7 remains unchanged (a.k.a., still on the old date of January 15, 2022)

Chrome support for Windows 7 now until January 15, 2023 | Google Cloud Blog

11 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

End of support for OneDrive desktop application on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 - Microsoft Tech Community

Here's the fixed link: End of support for OneDrive desktop application on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 - Microsoft Tech Community

1 hour ago, mina354 said:

Umm, they extended it for Windows 7 until January 15, 2023. Microsoft Edge support for Windows 7 remains unchanged (a.k.a., still on the old date of January 15, 2022)

Chrome support for Windows 7 now until January 15, 2023 | Google Cloud Blog

The page actually names two seperate End Of Life-Dates. The upper one states January 2023, but at the end of that page it says January 2022. Edge is based on Chromium. So, they will end their support when Google ends Chrome for Windows 7

On 11/7/2021 at 7:08 PM, Teeotsa said:

If they keep downloads for Windows 10/11 then maybe we could possibly bypass and use those versions for Windows 8/7? I mean Desktop version, App version of OneDrive sucks anyways.

Well if they don't make the App require dll's, which are only available in Windows 10's+ kernel32.dll, then we could possibly to that. However, we could also need an extended Kernel for Windows 7/8.1, if it won't work.

20 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

we could also need an extended Kernel for Windows 7/8.1, if it won't work.

That probably won't happen but we'll never know:wacko:

20 hours ago, yoltboy01 said:

Well if they don't make the App require dll's

Maybe we could just copy them over to 8/7 system and hope for the best 

• 6 months later...
On 5/13/2022 at 1:44 PM, Nerdulater said:

Record for Microsoft: Killing software on a 3 still alive OS's (7 having paid business support until 2023) Also found a mistake, It's treats 7 like it's still FULLY supported.

Recently, I had a little argue with Samsung about why they're only mentioning Windows 7 and Windows 10 as supported OS'es for Samsung DeX and why Windows 8 is not named. They told me that Windows 8 is irrelevant, since it's support had already ended in 2018. I told them that Windows 8's support is ending in 2023 and that they should not be supporting Windows 7 since 2015, if they only look out for Mainstream Support. THEY DELETED MY COMMENT?!

On 5/17/2022 at 9:06 AM, yoltboy01 said:

Recently, I had a little argue with Samsung about why they're only mentioning Windows 7 and Windows 10 as supported OS'es for Samsung DeX and why Windows 8 is not named. They told me that Windows 8 is irrelevant, since it's support had already ended in 2018. I told them that Windows 8's support is ending in 2023 and that they should not be supporting Windows 7 since 2015, if they only look out for Mainstream Support. THEY DELETED MY COMMENT?!

I'm assuming they thought 8.0, which ended support in 2016 instead of 8.1 which ends support in 2023. (Extended support)

Edited by Nerdulater
Wrong date

10 hours ago, Nerdulater said:

I'm assuming they thought 8.0, which ended support in 2018 instead of 8.1 which ends support in 2023. (Extended support)

8.0 ended support in 2016, not 2018.