Bug: Black background quote boxes

UCyborg

30 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

@InterLinked
Is there a reason your quoting everyone has grayish text on black background?

In other forum reply boxes, it's as easy as clicking the </> button in the toolbar above then entering CSS to be applied, but I tried that then "previewed" my post and it doesn't seem to work here.

There's a special "format" I'm sure, I actually edited by Stylus sheet for MSFN to undo @InterLinked's replies to look "normal".  I'm not a fan.  But yeah, it is "cool" the first time you see it, but I prefer a more "normalized" experience when reading the forum.

Long Live Stylus  :cheerleader:

42 minutes ago, InterLinked said:

How's this coming through (with no quoting)?

Normally, but quotes look like this:

spacer.png

The code snippet - the added style, background:

<blockquote class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote="" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="1207268" data-ipsquote-contentid="183016" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-timestamp="1636013935" data-ipsquote-userid="428778" data-ipsquote-username="Mr.Scienceman2000" style="background:rgb(0,9,15);" id="ips_uid_2086_13">

Personally, I feel like this is a FLAW &/or BUG in the forum software and wish that a Moderator / Administrator would chime in.

I know you are not doing it on "purpose", so this is not meant to offend, but I find those post-quotes EXTREMELY IRRITATING and VERY DISRUPTIVE to the "readability" of the forum as a whole.

I FIX this FLAW on my end using Stylus so I forgot all about it until another member enquired about it.

But to any Moderator / Administrator strolling by  --  don't you find those post-quotes DISRUPTIVE to the "readability" of the forum ???

1 hour ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Personally, I feel like this is a FLAW &/or BUG in the forum software and wish that a Moderator / Administrator would chime in.

There was a guy that also managed to post "bugged" text in another thread.

I FIX this FLAW on my end using Stylus so I forgot all about it until another member enquired about it.

Are you targetting the element of class ipsQuote where you set background to none?

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

There was a guy that also managed to post "bugged" text in another thread.

That was a "fun" read for early in the morning.  Folks getting all "defensive" and whatnot.  Now I know how much "fun" it is for others to read when I somehow get dragged into those types of "defensive" off-topic rants, lol.

Makes it even more pertinent to know what browser @InterLinked is using.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

59 minutes ago, ArcticFoxie said:

I'm just using ".ipsQuote {background: unset !important;}" for now.

Cool, somehow missed "unset" exists. Looks cleaner for this case.

It would be very annoying for everbody to start posting "look at me" posts and everybody having their own background color.

:thumbup

3 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

That was a "fun" read for early in the morning.  Folks getting all "defensive" and whatnot.  Now I know how much "fun" it is for others to read when I somehow get dragged into those types of "defensive" off-topic rants, lol.

Makes it even more pertinent to know what browser @InterLinked is using.

Naturally, I am using Iron 70.

Only extensions are uBlock Origin and Dark Night Mode. Now that I think about, I'll bet the latter is somehow responsible. I was trying to see how well a "dark Windows 7" theme would work, and it seemed to work quite well. Then performance was suffering during a Zoom meeting, so I re-enabled Aero (dark mode requires Classic theme in Windows). So, might go back.

Regarding "Dark Night Mode" extension - you may be interested to know that Chrome-based browsers (Iron is Chrome-based, but I assume you already know that) do not require an extension for that functionality.

Granted, there are pros (and cons) to using an extension.

But in case you are interested in trying Chrome-based browsers built-in functionality for "dark mode", open chrome://flags then type dark in the search field.

You're looking for one called Force Dark Mode for Web Contents.

There are several "types" of 'enable' but I suspect that just regular ol' Enabled is all you're really looking for.

I don't really like it but it does give you an option to try.

I'm not a fan of dark mode (hate it!) but I do understand why some like it (and why others hate it).

Not sure how your extension works, but the built-in makes web sites with an already dark background (ie, such as MSFN) now display with a gray background instead.

Edited by ArcticFoxie

16 hours ago, ArcticFoxie said:

Test 3 -  Force Dark Mode for Web Contents

Edit: I have the impression most users won't encounter this so chance of a fix from a forum-side software is low.

Regarding "Dark Night Mode" extension - you may be interested to know that Chrome-based browsers (Iron is Chrome-based, but I assume you already know that) do not require an extension for that functionality.

Isn't this Chromium 78+ only? He's on Iron 70, which is Chromium 70.

19 hours ago, InterLinked said:

Naturally, I am using Iron 70.

On the other hand, not much effort required to add the code manually, regardless of the browser.

So should the forum software clean it up? :dubbio:

HAX2MAX

Edited by UCyborg

2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Isn't this Chromium 78+ only? He's on Iron 70, which is Chromium 70.

Not sure.  I "thought" I was downloading Iron 70 but my Help - About says 94.

This post is from Iron 94 with that Dark Night Mode extension.

Definitely not my thing!  Ton of purple "bars", brown "bars", nothing but "bars" all over the place.  UGLY.  But to each their own.

Edited by ArcticFoxie