Windows XP was released 20 years ago (24.10.2001). Happy 20th birthday to XP

Mr.Scienceman2000

If (when) that time comes, I would consider trying 7 without updates and tweaked (I've only used it in the library a few times) or go full Linux. Would never move into 8+. If I had to buy something new, I'm not sure what I'd do to be honest; perhaps downgrade.

6 hours ago, kuja killer said:

Oh man my experience with Pentium 4 was the most horrible thing ever. I had gotten a Desktop PC once back in 2010 (XP pro) that had a 2.4 GHZ Pentium 4 (1 core only) - Nvidia 6000-something series GPU, and some ridiculously insanely ear-shattering loud CPU fan that was always running at over 7000 RPM according to "speedfan" ...it only lasted a few months.

One day while i was sitting here playing a Nintendo 64 game on the "projcect 64" emulator, "i think" i heard some loud pop noise from the tower, because the system just completely froze up - not BSOD but just straight "hard locked" -- when i rebooted, things were fine, but... the CPU tempature was always running no less than 165 to 175 degrees Farenhigt ...and when i'd try to play any sort of game, or emulator, even just the plain simple NES emulator fceux which literally takes zero CPU usage...it's jump up to 186F instantly and stay there..and it was always like this for "everything" no matter what.

And i found a CPU speed monitoring tool that showed the CPU was literally running at 300 MHZ all the time because of this. Even if i left it turned off for a whole night, and turn it on, and go to BIOS, the tempature would jump up from 100 to 180 degree's just on the BIOS within 1 minute or less. the CPU fan was still working...although it absolutely killed my ears. :( I think it was one of these "prescott" models which according to wikipedia is the hottest known type of Pentium 4. it was the most terrible experience of my life. :(

I got northwood Pentium 4 whhich was 478 socket and it is actually very decent. My cpu runs at 50c max. Prescott was socket 775 and outputted lot of heat, but I never had too bad overheat with them.

Maybe manufacture did same mistake as IBM once and left "peel this" sticker into heatsink:dubbio:

7 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Most likely the sound was from the heatsink getting detached, and the lock caused by the vibration at the time. Should have been an easy fix.

Yep. :yes:

Bad, bad Pentium 4. :angry:

jaclaz

20 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Most likely the sound was from the heatsink getting detached, and the lock caused by the vibration at the time. Should have been an easy fix.

Hmm yea maybe. I didnt ever try checking it out though. I couldn't deal with the 7000+ RPM fan noise after while, felt like my ears were going to explode eventually if you know what i mean. It also seemed to exhibit other problems where once or twice a day a error would get logged to the Event Logger about "IDE did not respond in timeout period" or something, and when that happened enough times, the hard drive would get put into "PIO" mode making things worse, only a hard reboot would set it back to normal, but only for a few days at a time.

Again this was in about mid-late 2010 so i dont have that tower anymore anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed that I would use XP only if I'd have a CPU like Pentium 4 (which I've had in past and now as a second), as XP is the best OS it runs with. I'd prefer 7 for anything dual or more cores (Core 2 etc.) But I agree that XP was the best OS MS ever made in my and other XP users here's opinion (and the ones after 7 were the worst). It's actually satisfying to do modern stuff on old hardware and software such as Pentium 4 (2005) and Windows XP (2001-2008). Regarding the situation of the economy (1USD=12,62TRY), it seems I'll stick with what I have for long years (until they will go bad).

The Pentium 4 is Prescott BTW :) It just needs a good cooling solution (I just use toothpaste and the stock Intel heatsink + fan :roll1:) Anyway, it works nice even it's getting to 70°C when the room is already being heated by radiator. It would go max. 60°C if the radiator isn't working I guess.

I may look like old, but trust me, I'm younger than the most people here :D

At the very last, long live XP! :thumbup

Edited by DragonSC7601
"in my and other XP users here's opinion"

11 minutes ago, DragonSC7601 said:

... trust me, I'm younger than the most people here :D

And it shows :w00t:, as of course the best OS ever made was Windows 2000, but you probably missed it as it was "reserved" to professional environments.

jaclaz

2 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

And it shows :w00t:, as of course the best OS ever made was Windows 2000, but you probably missed it as it was "reserved" to professional environments.

jaclaz

I can show some reasons why I prefer XP better, I should've pointed out that this is an opinion when I meant "best". It will be different for others of course (like you and else :)).

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

jaclaz

Talk about irony that this hit the Unread Content list of links for this morning.

I resurrected an ancient AMD Sempron 3100+ from the grave a couple months back in order to test 360Chrome on XP x86 SP2.

Ran a few tests and concluded ZERO benefit to keeping x86 SP2 around.

Tried (in vain) to get four different forks of Chromium OS running on this ancient beast - CloudReady, FydeOS, ArnoldTheBats, and NayuOS.

Every single one will boot up to their logo screen then ends up in an infinite loop of reboot cycles only getting as far as the logo screen.

I can still probably figure it out but opted to save that project for a later day.

Literally ~40 minutes before stumbling into your post, I have Windows 2000 installing on that AMD Sempron 3100+  :w00t:

4 hours ago, DragonSC7601 said:

I noticed that I would use XP only if I'd have a CPU like Pentium 4 (which I've had in past and now as a second), as XP is the best OS it runs with. I'd prefer 7 for anything dual or more cores (Core 2 etc.) But I agree that XP was the best OS MS ever made in my and other XP users here's opinion (and the ones after 7 were the worst). It's actually satisfying to do modern stuff on old hardware and software such as Pentium 4 (2005) and Windows XP (2001-2008).

funny since I prefer run XP on as fast hw as can without issues:buehehe:

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

i cannot miss win2000 even these days. There are CNC machines and other professional equipments that were made for windows 2000. Few places I need visit at work got win2000 for CNC use. And few years ago I saw cnc machine with windows 9x bsod. No pic from that since was not allowed carry camera there. Equipment was working happily though so I guess control unit was seperate

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

8 hours ago, DragonSC7601 said:

I can show some reasons why I prefer XP better, I should've pointed out that this is an opinion when I meant "best". It will be different for others of course (like you and else :)).

Sure :), the note was only about the "young", if you are young you cannot possibly have experienced the solidity and reliability of NT 4.00 and later Windows 2000 in the years 1995-2001.

jaclaz 

NLite Windows XP , ISO Is just under 400mb , it is fast as hell , of course on a i7 3770K @4.2Ghz [OC]

Windows XP x64 and Windows Server 2003 is bit more robust , 2000 is something i will avoid in more than 2Core CPU , i dont know why boot become slow

16 hours ago, Dibya said:

NLite Windows XP , ISO Is just under 400mb , it is fast as hell , of course on a i7 3770K @4.2Ghz [OC]

Windows XP x64 and Windows Server 2003 is bit more robust , 2000 is something i will avoid in more than 2Core CPU , i dont know why boot become slow

Hi Dibya

Can you reply to a message I sent to you at the RyanVM forum because it is not possible to send messages to you here.  Incidentally, I am glad to see that you have not given up on XP and 2000.

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2021 at 11:39 PM, TrevMUN said:

Still using XP on two different machines over here! One as my daily driver and the other as ... my mobile daily driver, haha. And it's all thanks to you guys! Without MSFN I wouldn't have known  about the SABERTOOTH X99 drivers I used for my main rig's latest overhaul, ProxHTTPSProxy, NoVirusThanks' OSArmor, and the multitude of XP-friendly browser projects. Or, for that matter, the PAE patch and the 2009POSReady updates available for XP32.

I'm hoping projects like One Core API, or even the possibility of porting over ReactOS features, will help keep XP from not falling too far behind.

Just downloaded a fresh build:

NCH.ExpressBurn.iso - ReactOS-0.4.14

I'm glad to have it, but would take a lot to learn the further I read. I didn't find out if its a live dvd or not, as I'dl like to try it before installing it. Looks interesting.