Windows XP was released 20 years ago (24.10.2001). Happy 20th birthday to XP

Mr.Scienceman2000

1 hour ago, kuja killer said:

Ah wow, well first of all, thank you for the encouragment about us people here using XP, while most other people on other forums and stuff would be pretty not so nice about it.

Well for me it is freedom of OS choice. And who is more stupid? Person who uses all latest products because newer must always mean better and all knowledge is based off what companies tell them or person who uses products they like older or newer and has done their own research for using equipment they like. When I said I am using Nokia 6110 from 1997 for phone and and got E90 as PDA I was not kidding. 6110 is sitting on desktop stand and e90 is syncing. I was able to tweak symbian accept modern SHA2 certificates so it can access email and other things (though limited to tls 1.0). There is community effort to keep any dead platform alive.

I can understand someone using newer or latest Windows or latest smartphone, I got both on workplace. I do not care what someone likes until they start shove stuff down my throat insisting everyone use it and cannot respond any critic other than you are just <competiting company here> shill or stupid.

Many of my friends run Windows 10 or 11 and they are fine with me running XP and I am fine for them running what they prefer. My friends actually respect my deciation of using what I like despite age of os/equipment.

Yea i realize i should serously consider the whole "dual boot" thing about having 1 part of the hard drive (or SSD) with XP, and the other part for Win 7 as backup. I've never tried that ever before in my life.  And i dont mean the "virtual box" or virtual mode or whatever it is in win7. I know it would make sense cause then i'd be able to at least play some games i'd want.

I have had multiboot with Ubuntu 9.10, Vista, Windows 98, DOS 6.22, NT4, Windows 2000 and XP on same machine. That was actually painful to do but got experience from dual or higher booting. Just running two different Windows versions is super easy. Give both them own partitions first install older one then newer one and newer one bootloader will see other Windows installed.

Hmm i see, yea I understand about not needing anything really after SP3, but i'd still like to be on the "safe side" just in case. Even though i always make sure to run Firefox, IE or any other web browsers through the program "sandboxie".

I recommend hardening your browser. Disable webassembly, webrtc, install Umatrix and set it block all by default. It takes time to learn use Umatrix but it is very powerful tool for security. I use noscript as backup in case Umatrix would have exploit or wise versa

2 hours ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

I have been using XP all my life, the last pc lasted 16 years but unfortunately it died a few months ago.
At my age (I'm 58) it's time to move on.

I am young enough to keep uphill battle going. I have moved to penguin on some things like banking (actually did long time ago already) since Linux got less useless stuff that could result to security issues. For me Windows 8+ is big no no

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

Congratulations on the anniversary.

Windows XP was my first system, since I had a computer. I have used it most of my life:
2005-2012 Windows XP
2012-2015 Windows 7 x64
2015-2017 Windows XP
2017-2021 Xubuntu 16.04 x86
And now I miss Windows (XP) again.

On 10/24/2021 at 9:43 PM, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I chose use newer machine and linux to convert videos to H264

Do you encode H.264 on Linux with HandBrake? Unfortunately, HandBrake stopped supporting Windows XP and x86 architecture very early. But there is other software. And I compiled a fresh console x264.exe that works on Windows XP.

14 minutes ago, artenox said:

Congratulations on the anniversary.

Windows XP was my first system, since I had a computer. I have used it most of my life:
2005-2012 Windows XP
2012-2015 Windows 7 x64
2015-2017 Windows XP
2017-2021 Xubuntu 16.04 x86
And now I miss Windows (XP) again.

You seem to be new here so welcome. Seems you made same decision as I did. Linux and other Unix like are path outside XP.

17 minutes ago, artenox said:

Do you encode H.264 on Linux with HandBrake? Unfortunately, HandBrake stopped supporting Windows XP and x86 architecture very early. But there is other software. And I compiled a fresh console x264.exe that works on Windows XP.

yes. I have not found any good alternative to XP. Latest handbrake to XP fails to render lot of stuff.

Still using XP on two different machines over here! One as my daily driver and the other as ... my mobile daily driver, haha. And it's all thanks to you guys! Without MSFN I wouldn't have known  about the SABERTOOTH X99 drivers I used for my main rig's latest overhaul, ProxHTTPSProxy, NoVirusThanks' OSArmor, and the multitude of XP-friendly browser projects. Or, for that matter, the PAE patch and the 2009POSReady updates available for XP32.

I'm hoping projects like One Core API, or even the possibility of porting over ReactOS features, will help keep XP from not falling too far behind.

Windows XP is still raising some dust. Is it fair to say, that the Pale Moon developers freaked out by some stubborn Windows XP users? See, that's the power of an 20 year old operating system.

This statistic still looks valid:
https://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/armenia

In Armenia, according to Statcounter, the majority of computers runs with Windows XP. Can someone please tell the people of Armenia about all new developments for their machines, new browsers for Windows XP and the forums connecting all XP users all over the world?

I only got back to XP after being dissatisfied with newer developments. The fact that companies deliberately break their own products was a harsh truth for my youthful mind. Then, around 2014, a wild Compaq Deskpro with 1 GHz was offered to me, the one with his Windows 98 computer, let's give him an upgrade, someone must have thought. Windows XP is the right choice for that kind of Pentium 3. And so I began to discover my former operating system again. It is the optimum of capability/performance/disservices vs hardware requirements.

But celebrations aside, the evil showed its fangs already around XP... forced online activation of the license key is just one thing. How lucky I feel to have found a strange copy of Windows XP from the university CD trash bin, which just can be fed some XP key (found on some sticker on an abandoned desktop probably).

Windows 98 has less disservices, but is less capable too. Even a small Linux needs a more powerful computer to achieve the same things as Windows XP, but if the CPU and GPU power is there, it opens up the internet more (for badly designed websites of course, which we unfortuneatly encounter sometimes, but it's unevitable). Depending on the situation, Windows XP has its place on my desk.

4 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

In Armenia, according to Statcounter, the majority of computers runs with Windows XP. Can someone please tell the people of Armenia about all new developments for their machines, new browsers for Windows XP and the forums connecting all XP users all over the world?

Finding this stuff is hard for many users. I tried search XP compatible browser for long and most was either spam or article how XP got no supported browsers. That is one roadblocks.

Second is not knowing there is "professional" XP community in MSFN that tries to extend life of the system. 99% of web response is do not use XP and nobody does use XP. For around 4-7 years I though that as well to be last person wanting use XP seriously and could see trough BS from XP. Then ended to MSFN and well here we are.

Before I did not say anyone I had XP for serious use now my family and friends know I run XP and even 98 as day to day OS. Was fun explain dad about all softwares that were designed for XP.

I only got back to XP after being dissatisfied with newer developments. The fact that companies deliberately break their own products was a harsh truth for my youthful mind. Then, around 2014, a wild Compaq Deskpro with 1 GHz was offered to me, the one with his Windows 98 computer, let's give him an upgrade, someone must have thought. Windows XP is the right choice for that kind of Pentium 3. And so I began to discover my former operating system again. It is the optimum of capability/performance/disservices vs hardware requirements.

For me Pentium 4/Pentium M is minium to XP platform. I have run and actually currently got Windows XP (for 20th anniversity) running on Compaq Presario 5000 with 850mhz Celeron, but I prefer Pentium 4 for better multimedia performance with DVR card. I watch TV with my CRT monitor. I got 2.80ghz 478 socket Pentium 4 HT one for XP.

That brought funny thing in mind long ago. I had change compare 1.2ghz Pentium 3 and 1.4?ghz Pentium 4 and performance was pretty equal in most tasks. Biggest different on early Pentium 4 was pipeline that in theory was faster on some tasks optimised to it.

But celebrations aside, the evil showed its fangs already around XP... forced online activation of the license key is just one thing. How lucky I feel to have found a strange copy of Windows XP from the university CD trash bin, which just can be fed some XP key (found on some sticker on an abandoned desktop probably).

it might be Corporate edition since it did not need activation. I was able to obtain corporate edition CD and licence key from one place that tossed away old systems. Using corporate edition is sorta grey zone since eula does not permit even if it is genuine, but it would be worry if I had business and would end up having audit.

1 hour ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

Before I did not say anyone I had XP for serious use now my family and friends know I run XP and even 98 as day to day OS. Was fun explain dad about all softwares that were designed for XP.

You see :), the coming out :w00t: was less difficult than you expected ;), people that love you, love you nonetheless, even if you use XP.

For me,. the difficult part is to explain the use of a "traditional" phone, particularly when I state - somehow firmly/aggressively - that I do not do WhatsApp (let alone Twitter or Facebook), a few people are somehow offended that I am depriving them of their freedom to harass me at every time, day or night, with pointless messages or funny videos.

jaclaz 

Edited by jaclaz

1 hour ago, jaclaz said:

For me,. the difficult part is to explain the use of a "traditional" phone, particularly when I state - somehow firmly/aggressively - that I do not do WhatsApp (let alone Twitter or Facebook), a few people are somehow offended that I am depriving them of their freedom to harass me at every time, day or night, with pointless messages or funny videos.

It is same problem on me. How many times someone said "let me send you that on whatsapp...oh wait you had that nokia thingy" when spoke to someone on phone.

Having Whatsapp is not enough reason to move away from my old Nokia brick. 6110 is this phone. What is great on it despite being released in 1997 it got very good if not better reception than some newer handsets (external antenna), it lasts around 1-2weeks with third party 1200mah battery depending how much I call, it allows to have custom ringtone and caller groups plus mute calls based on group on profiles for example night I only accept family calls nothing else since they would not call me for no reason in middle of night. Many phones from same era had short battery life with beefier one than mine.

If file is actually important email or FTP it to me, sending important files over IM client is bad idea since will get lost eventually to all useless messages. I have noticed that nobody bothers to call or text something pointless to me so win for me.

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

1 hour ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

It is same problem on me. How many times someone said "let me send you that on whatsapp...oh wait you had that nokia thingy" when spoke to someone on phone.

Another one here holding out with a classic. A sony-ericsson W800i (2005), nothing special. No whatsapp either. In my actual surroundings I am the last one that has kept it that way.

13 minutes ago, gerwin said:

Another one here holding out with a classic. A sony-ericsson W800i (2005), nothing special

I got nokia "competitor" to that on my collection (since it was compared with it sometimes). Nokia 6600 which was actually first phone I ever had. Was originally saved from dumpster I think (someone tossed away 600 euros smartphone back then just because small screen crack). It had VGA camera, Calendar, Bluetooth, Symbian S60, Java, Memory card, midi and vaw ringtones, sound recorder, camecoder and other cool things that younger me was amazed. That phone came out in 2003 and mine is 2004 firmware and someone had tossed it away in late2005/early 2006

I got other classics too like Nokia 880 (Reshelled Nokia 2110 mostly), Nokia 5110, Nokia 3210, Nokia 3330 (nokia 3310 with few additions to firmware), Nokia 3510i, Nokia 9300, Nokia e90 and list goes on...

I got all for free by salvaging them from being recycled as "worthless"

I like to swap my phone sometimes to play with something I would like to try from those oldies but goldies.

6 hours ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

For me Pentium 4/Pentium M is minium to XP platform. I have run and actually currently got Windows XP (for 20th anniversity) running on Compaq Presario 5000 with 850mhz Celeron, but I prefer Pentium 4 for better multimedia performance with DVR card. I watch TV with my CRT monitor. I got 2.80ghz 478 socket Pentium 4 HT one for XP.

That brought funny thing in mind long ago. I had change compare 1.2ghz Pentium 3 and 1.4?ghz Pentium 4 and performance was pretty equal in most tasks. Biggest different on early Pentium 4 was pipeline that in theory was faster on some tasks optimised to it.

Oh man my experience with Pentium 4 was the most horrible thing ever. I had gotten a Desktop PC once back in 2010 (XP pro) that had a 2.4 GHZ Pentium 4 (1 core only) - Nvidia 6000-something series GPU, and some ridiculously insanely ear-shattering loud CPU fan that was always running at over 7000 RPM according to "speedfan" ...it only lasted a few months.

One day while i was sitting here playing a Nintendo 64 game on the "projcect 64" emulator, "i think" i heard some loud pop noise from the tower, because the system just completely froze up - not BSOD but just straight "hard locked" -- when i rebooted, things were fine, but... the CPU tempature was always running no less than 165 to 175 degrees Farenhigt ...and when i'd try to play any sort of game, or emulator, even just the plain simple NES emulator fceux which literally takes zero CPU usage...it's jump up to 186F instantly and stay there..and it was always like this for "everything" no matter what.

And i found a CPU speed monitoring tool that showed the CPU was literally running at 300 MHZ all the time because of this. Even if i left it turned off for a whole night, and turn it on, and go to BIOS, the tempature would jump up from 100 to 180 degree's just on the BIOS within 1 minute or less. the CPU fan was still working...although it absolutely killed my ears. :( I think it was one of these "prescott" models which according to wikipedia is the hottest known type of Pentium 4. it was the most terrible experience of my life. :(

I since switched to a Dell Latitude D620 laptop with T7600 2.3 GHZ which i've been using to this day without issues.

Edited by kuja killer

3 hours ago, kuja killer said:

One day while i was sitting here playing a Nintendo 64 game on the "projcect 64" emulator, "i think" i heard some loud pop noise from the tower, because the system just completely froze up - not BSOD but just straight "hard locked" -- when i rebooted, things were fine, but... the CPU tempature was always running no less than 165 to 175 degrees Farenhigt ...and when i'd try to play any sort of game, or emulator, even just the plain simple NES emulator fceux which literally takes zero CPU usage...it's jump up to 186F instantly and stay there..and it was always like this for "everything" no matter what.

Most likely the sound was from the heatsink getting detached, and the lock caused by the vibration at the time. Should have been an easy fix.

Well, I remember using w2 (with those old external sort-of-disks), w3 in the early 1990, w5 and then w98-me. I almost decided to stick to wme.  But XP was so much better... I pondered moving into w7, but I saw very few advantages and many drawbacks. I never considered moving into w8 and all subsequent spyware.