Guide - Vista extended kernel installation

TSNH

27 minutes ago, ard4x said:

what's the purpose of making a guide to something you can't download?

Um, that has kind of ALWAYS been the atmosphere for pretty much ALL "tweaks" for Windows.

You've only been here a week or so, but look around at other "tweak" web sites, that's just how this atmosphere works.

There has always been a very fine line in the end user wanting their LEGAL copy of Windows to perform the way it SHOULD HAVE BEEN designed and performing "tweaks" that don't adhere 100% to the Windows "license" that most of us never read in the first place.

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

the Windows "license" that most of us never read in the first place.

My licence doesn't say I can't modify the installed image and do its reimaging later.

On 6/8/2022 at 9:39 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Um, that has kind of ALWAYS been the atmosphere for pretty much ALL "tweaks" for Windows.

It was? Most stuff I encountered is clean and don't involve distribution of modified Windows files.

On 5/16/2022 at 7:10 PM, Bizzbob said:

Hi all, I've decided to write my own batch installer (SETUP.bat attached) for the extended kernel that automates a few steps. At the moment it is able to:

• Automatically trigger UAC to run as administrator
  • Check that you are installing on Vista x64 (but doesn't check that you have the required updates!)
  • Back up existing system files as *.bak
  • Replace system files at reboot to avoid 'access denied' problems
  • Set file permissions for the replacement files
  • Enable local DLL redirection automatically and fix problems with Windows Sidebar (by making it use the original ole32.dll)
  • Create OSVER.ini (if not already existing)
  • Optionally install the Media Foundation Platform update (see below)
  • Optionally set x64 Windows Media Player as default for all users (if installing Media Foundation Platform)
  • Check for any errors in the process and safely roll back any changes if problems occur (obviously still a good idea to back up your system!)
  • Create a log for troubleshooting

By default, the batch works with the Feb 2022 version of the extended kernel, but can be made to work with newer/older versions using configuration files (attached). Simply rename the version you need as SETUP.cfg and place in the same folder as the batch file.

The installer will copy the extended kernel files from the same folder where the batch file is located, but this can be changed by specifying the SOURCEDIR in the config file.

To be able to install the Media Foundation Platform, place the extracted MFPLATSETUP folder as a subfolder with the rest of the extended kernel files.

The contents of OSVER.ini can also be customised in the config file.

**If your Vista was installed using the MSDN iso, you may need to place Win32's replacement EXPLORER.exe with the rest of the extended kernel files and remove the ; at the start of the relevant line in the file list in SETUP.cfg (this step does not seem to be required from the Feb 2022 version onwards).

Edit: If Vista behaves oddly post install (e.g. Windows themes failing to load very occasionally during testing, or modern Firefox failing with RtlQueryPerformanceCounter not being found), a second reboot seems to fix these issues.

Edit 2: Updated to work better with non-English editions of Vista, but I haven't been able to test this as much so please let me know if there are further issues!

Edit 3: Added SETUP_06102022.cfg for June 2022 version.

setup.bat 27.47 kB · 35 downloads

Config info.txt 1.96 kB · 18 downloads   setup_06102022.cfg 2.41 kB · 12 downloads setup_02042022.cfg 1.92 kB · 16 downloads   setup_10262021.cfg 1.94 kB · 5 downloads   setup_05142021.cfg 1.53 kB · 5 downloads   setup_02262021.cfg 1.53 kB · 6 downloads   setup_12312020.cfg 1.35 kB · 6 downloads

I am not sure if you forgot extended kernel's recent new release or not, but, please add SETUP_07252022.cfg for July 2022 version.

Hi all, I've decided to write my own batch installer (SETUP.bat attached) for the extended kernel that automates a few steps. At the moment it is able to:

• Check that you are installing on Vista x64 (but doesn't check that you have the required updates!)
  • Enable local DLL redirection automatically and fix problems with Windows Sidebar (by making it use the original ole32.dll)
  • Optionally set x64 Windows Media Player as default for all users (if installing Media Foundation Platform)
  • Check for any errors in the process and safely roll back any changes if problems occur (obviously still a good idea to back up your system!)

By default, the batch works with the Feb 2022 version of the extended kernel, but can be made to work with newer/older versions using configuration files (attached). Simply rename the version you need as SETUP.cfg and place in the same folder as the batch file.

The installer will copy the extended kernel files from the same folder where the batch file is located, but this can be changed by specifying the SOURCEDIR in the config file.

To be able to install the Media Foundation Platform, place the extracted MFPLATSETUP folder as a subfolder with the rest of the extended kernel files.

**If your Vista was installed using the MSDN iso, you may need to place Win32's replacement EXPLORER.exe with the rest of the extended kernel files and remove the ; at the start of the relevant line in the file list in SETUP.cfg (this step does not seem to be required from the Feb 2022 version onwards).

Edit: If Vista behaves oddly post install (e.g. Windows themes failing to load very occasionally during testing, or modern Firefox failing with RtlQueryPerformanceCounter not being found), a second reboot seems to fix these issues.

Edit 2: Updated to work better with non-English editions of Vista, but I haven't been able to test this as much so please let me know if there are further issues!

Config info.txt 1.96 kB · 18 downloads   setup_06102022.cfg 2.41 kB · 12 downloads setup_02042022.cfg 1.92 kB · 16 downloads   setup_10262021.cfg 1.94 kB · 5 downloads   setup_05142021.cfg 1.53 kB · 5 downloads   setup_02262021.cfg 1.53 kB · 6 downloads   setup_12312020.cfg 1.35 kB · 6 downloads

I am not sure if you forgot extended kernel's recent new release or not, but, please add SETUP_07252022.cfg for July 2022 version.

19 hours ago, mina7601 said:

Ah really sorry, I am currently away and don't have access to my Windows machines, but I will add one as soon as I've had a chance to look at the new version!

In the meantime, if you would like to use the batch installer, you might be able to try amending one of the older .CFG files. I've included a .TXT in my original post with the installer file, which hopefully explains how to do this (might also be helpful to have a look at Win32's SETUP.CONF file and TSNH's manual installation instructions at the start of this thread.)

• 1 month later...

Other program (game) that doesn't work with Extended Kernel is GTA Vice City. It gives the Unhandled Exception c0000005 at address 00a12cfe, anyone had a solution to this? I tried placing all vanilla WOW64 DLLs in gta-vc.exe.local and enabling DLL redirection, but it didn't work.

4 hours ago, Ark_mage2180 said:

Other program (game) that doesn't work with Extended Kernel is GTA Vice City.

For meanwhile, you can play the PS2 version of GTA VC using PCSX2.

PCSX2 1.6.0 is still officially support even Windows Vista RTM build 6000.

Edited by Brickedandroid

• 2 months later...

Using Windows Automatic Startup Repair with Extended Kernel (or any other Windows modification that requires disabling integrity checks)

Warning: Never use Vista installation DVD to repair your multi-boot configuration if you have newer versions of Windows installed: Vista setup DVD can only repair Vista bootloader, while the Windows 7 one can repair all of Vista, 7, 8(.1),10 and maybe 11 too. In this guide I assume that you use Winodws 7’s DVD.

If you use Windows Automatic Startup Repair launched from a Windows installation DVD (which is btw a sole example of automatic repair tool of any kind that is worth using) to for example fix your multi-boot configuration and you have the Extended Kernel Installed on the next boot you will be presented with this:

image.thumb.png.1654be33d82373dd6697aab4a76932b3.png.f1ce62cac4292c8f8c17ef9aa97b1c77.png

This doesn’t mean the auto-repair tool did something wrong, but that it restored the value of “nointegritychecks” back to its default.

1.       Insert the Windows 7 installation disc and boot from it

2.       Press Shift F10 to open CMD

3.       Type bcdedit and click Enter

4.       Copy the identifier value for the Windows Vista boot entry (it can be “current” or a long resumeobject code):

5.       Run the following command without quotes: “bcdedit /set {identifier} nointegritychecks yes”, where  identifier  is your code. For example “bcdedit /set {aaaaaaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaa} nointegritychecks yes”, “bcdedit /set {current} nointegritychecks yes”.

6.       Reboot, enjoy

• 2 weeks later...