Guide - Vista extended kernel installation

TSNH

Unofficial Windows Vista x64 Extender Kernel step by step installation guide

All the credits for the Extended Kernel go to @win32, not me.

Disclaimer: I take absolutely no responsibility for any damage to your PC (or laptop or whatever) caused by following/misfollowing this tutorial. Backup everything before continuing.

Special thanks to @winvispixp for guide improvement suggestions.

List of Vista-unsupported programs that work with the extended kernel

version 03092023 (current):

Note: for best stability it's recommended to go for the October 2022 version (10192022) and only install 64-bit files (see step 8)

Preparations:

1.       Prepare a .7z extracting program (for  example 7-zip).

2.       Prepare Ubuntu or Linux Mint installation CD (for method 2 and uninsallation).

3.       Update your Vista to 2017 EOL version (especially install sp1,sp2 and the platform update).

4.       (Optional) You can install some server 2008 updates if you want. List of compatible updates by @LiptonAcer

5.       (Optional but highly recommended) Install KB4019478 - D3Dcompiler-x64 update, .NET Framework 4.6.1 and 3.5, DirectX June 2010 redistributable and all the Visual C++ redistributables 64 and 32 bit.

6.       Install SHA-2 Server 2008 updates in the following order: KB4039648-v2,KB4493730, KB4474419.

7.       Backup your original files.

8.       Extract the vistaexkernsetup_03092023.7z file (or vistaexkernsetup_10192022.7z if you are installing October 2022 version) into any folder you like (later called folder X).

Method 1 - Automatic installation

Method 1 involves using the Installer. If you are facing some problems, use alternative installer by @Bizzbob or method 2 instead. If you don't want to install 32-bit extended kernel, use method 2.

1.       Copy your original kernel32.dll located in %systemroot%\syswow64, rename it to kernelol.dll and put the new file in syswow64

2.       Run the setup.exe as administrator. (These steps do not apply to @Bizzbob's installer)

3.       Follow the instructions on your computer’s screen.

4.       Make sure that files like kernel32.dll are present in %systemroot%\system32. If they are not, use method 2.

5.       Reboot the computer.

6.       Repair file permissions.

7.       Congratulations, enjoy

Method 2 - Manual installation

Method 2 involves using the Ubuntu live CD. The reason why we use Ubuntu and not another windows installation is because Ubuntu doesn’t support NTFS file permissions and thus ignores them completely making file replacing much easier.

1.       Launch cmd.exe as administrator and run the following command without quotes: “bcdedit /set {current} nointegritychecks yes”.

2.       Insert Ubuntu installation disk Either CD or USB (AKA live CD).

3.       Reboot into the Ubuntu live CD.

4.       Choose: “Try Ubuntu”.

5.       On the top bar go to: Places\Computer. (This may differ depending on version of Ubuntu you have).

6.       Locate folder X and copy all the dll and exe files from the folder X (EXCEPT setup.exe and files, that have filename ending with .wow64) to yourpartition:\windows\system32, click replace when prompted (make sure you have a backup).

7.       If your Vista is UEFI, do the same for winload.efi.

8.      (Optional) Move all the .wow64 files from the folder X to a different directory and remove .wow64 from their name, than copy them to yourpartition:\windows\SysWOW64, click replace when prompted (Right now 32bit extended kernel is in a very early stage of development, so personally I don’t recommend it for daily usage).

9.       Shut down Ubuntu and boot Windows.

10.     Repair file permissions.

11.     Congratulations, enjoy

Method 3 - Redirection

If you don’t want to replace your system files, you can make specific programs use extended kernel dlls instead of vanilla Vista ones using local redirection. Unfortunately  this method doesn’t let you run most of the new applications, that file replacing would do (for example there is a problem with exe files that spawn from another and many other).

1.       Apply the DLLredirectionenabler.reg.

2.       For each application you want to run with the extended kernel, do the following:

3.       For exefilesname.exe create an exefilesname.exe.local folder.

obraz.png.4ca71d66544cce544bda615a48825225.png

4.       Put files from folder X in the exefilesname.exe.local folder.

5.       Congratulations, enjoy

Repairing file permissions

Automatic tool

If you visit system32 after the installation you will probably notice that permissions for extended kernel files look like this:

everyone.PNG.cee2e2c56fd5587f8b9147bcaa9ed5c6.PNG

Obviously letting “Everyone” to modify your core system files causes a serious security issue so it is necessary to restore the default file permissions pattern:

template.thumb.png.c68ba43235f6210f75d700f54346843a.png

The owner should be: “nt service\Trustedinstaller”.

Example:

1.       Locate %systemroot%\system32\kernel32.dll

2.       Open properties and under security tab click “Advanced”.

3.       Make sure that “Include inheritable permissions from this object’s parent” checkbox is disabled.

4.       Close the advanced window and click “edit”

edit.PNG.96a44f6365d8a57726a4cadee0f7cebc.PNG

5.       Remove “Everyone” and other account that are not in the default pattern.

6.       Add  “Users” and “Administrators” accounts and set permissions for them to match the default pattern. The names have to be in your language. Look at other system files if you don’t know how to spell the words.

7.       Add “SYSTEM” account and set permissions for it to match the default pattern.

8.       Add “nt service\Trustedinstaller” account and set permissions for it to match the default pattern. They are different this time.

9.       Click “OK”.

10.   Open properties and under security tab click “Advanced” again.

11.   Under  “Owner” tab click “edit” than “Other users or groups”.

12.   Enter “nt service\Trustedinstaller” without quotes.

13.   Click “OK”.

14.   Congratulations!

Do the same for other files:

If you have installed only 64 extended kernel than you have to restore file permissions only in system32 for the following files that you have replaced:

• ci.dll
  • dwmapi.dll
  • kernel32.dll
  • ntdll.dll
  • ntk32.dll
  • ntoskrnl.exe
  • ole32.dll
  • powrprof.dll
  • shell32.dll
  • user32.dll
  • uxtheme.dll
  • winload.efi
  • winload.exe
  • api-ms-win-core-fibers-l1-1-0.dll
  • advapi32.dll
  • dxgi.dll
  • dxgiext.dll
  • api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-2-0.dll
  • API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-ERROR-L1-1-0.dll
  • API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-ERROR-L1-1-1.dll
  • API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-L1-1-0.dll
  • API-MS-WIN-CORE-WINRT-STRING-L1-1-0.dll
  • api-ms-win-shcore-scaling-l1-1-1.dll
  • bcrypt.dll
  • shcore.dll
  • userenv.dll
  • useren0.dll
  • kernel33.dll
  • jobsrv.exe
  • gdi33.dll
  • gdi32.dll
  • dwritent60.dll
  • dwritent10.dll
  • DWrite.dll
  • api-ms-win-core-memory-l1-1-6.dll
  • api-ms-win-core-memory-l1-1-5.dll
  • api-ms-win-core-fibers-l1-1-0.dll
  • api-ms-win-core-delayload-l1-1-1.dll
  • api-ms-win-core-delayload-l1-1-0.dll

If you have installed 32 bit extended kernel than you also have to restore access rights in syswow64 too (for the following files that you have replaced):

• kernel32.dll
  • powrprof.dll
  • ole32.dll
  • shell32.dll
  • user32.dll
  • uxtheme.dll
  • dwmapi.dll
  • ntext.dll
  • powrprof.dll
  • shellnew.dll
  • ntk32.dll
  • miscstubs.dll
  • ws2_33.dll
  • ws2_32.dll
  • user33.dll
  • shell33.dll
  • shcore.dll

These are the final names for those files, remember that some of them have to be renamed during the installation as described in the guide.

Optional Extended Kernel components

d3d12.dll - This is DirectX 12 for Windows 7. You can copy it to system32. It does not work on Vista, but can be useful for Windows 8 users.

Windows 7 Media Foundation Platform - This is needed for video codec support in some programs like Firefox. Making the Windows 7 mfplat system wide by installing it causes problems with Windows Media Player and Dremscene, so it's recommended to use redirection method instead:

2.       For each application you want to run with the Windows 7 mfplat, do the following:

3.       For exefilesname.exe create an exefilesname.exe.local folder.

4.       Extract the mfplatsetup.7z and copy all the dlls it contains to the exefilesname.exe.local folder.

5.       Congratulations, enjoy

378.66_Vista and 398.11_Vista - Modfied Nvidia drivers for Vista. More details: https://msfn.org/board/topic/184056-breakthrough-p2-new-pascal-special-microsoft-nvidia-driver-port-for-vista-x64/

Windows Version Spoofer

Version spoofer allows you to fool programs into thinking that you are running a newer version of Windows!

1. Create an empty file called "osver.ini" (without quotes) in the %systemroot% folder.
  2. Put contents of the template below in your file.
  3. Adjust the template depending on your needs.

Template:

[Path to an exe file]
Commandname=1 

[Path to another exe file]
Commandname=1 

[global]
Commandname=1

List of supported commands:

Enabled (this one is always needed)

MajorVersion

MinorVersion

BuildNumber

CSDVersion

PlatformId (2 is used to indicate that the OS is Windows NT. 1 represents 9x and 0 represents Win32s)

to spoof Windows 7 sp1, use:

Enabled=1
MajorVersion=6
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=7601

Windows 8.0

Enabled=1
MajorVersion=6
MinorVersion=2
BuildNumber=9200

Windows 8.1

Enabled=1
MajorVersion=6
MinorVersion=3
BuildNumber=9600

Windows 10 (the build number depends on the Windows 10 version, that you want to spoof)

Enabled=1
MajorVersion=10
MinorVersion=0
BuildNumber=19044

Windows 11 (the build number depends on the Windows 11 version, that you want to spoof)

Enabled=1
MajorVersion=10
MinorVersion=0
BuildNumber=22000

Example:

[C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe]
Enabled=1
MajorVersion=6
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=7601

[global]

Common errors

• If you're using an ISO from MSDN you may encounter an error "The ordinal 899 could not be located in the dynamic link library SHELL32.dll" while booting. you need to swap the explorer.exe from C:\Windows with the one called "replacement explorer".
  • image.thumb.png.1654be33d82373dd6697aab4a76932b3.png.f1ce62cac4292c8f8c17ef9aa97b1c77.pngThis error appears, when winload.exe's signature is different from the one expected by Windows. Make sure you have run this command: “bcdedit /set {current} nointegritychecks yes” and that you have replaced all of the required files.
  • image.png.2bf8364a7e01cd06ff8b342320c25507.png.72b20336eea734952fe209ce550c41ff.pngMake sure you have all the necessary updates installed.

List of Vista-compatible programs that don’t work with the extended kernel.

Windows Sidebar (resolvable):

2.       Create a "sidebar.exe.local" folder in %programfiles%\Windows Sidebar\ .

3.       Copy your backup ole.dll to the "sidebar.exe.local" folder.

4.       Congratulations, enjoy

CPU-Z (old Extended Kernel version) - https://msfn.org/board/topic/183046-guide-vista-extended-kernel-installation/?do=findComment&comment=1207488

Kaspersky antivirus - https://msfn.org/board/topic/181612-wip-windows-vista-extended-kernel/page/112/

VirtualBox (as a host) - VirtualBox checks if system files were signed by Microsoft. (it is called "hardering")

Windows Live Photo Gallery (only if you install 32-bit extended kernel)

Feel free to report other programs.

How to uninstall the extended kernel?

Method 1

1. If you used Method 1 durning installation, the dlls were automatically backed up as [nameofdll].dll.bak. You just need to delete the extended kernel dll and then change the name of the vanilla one (delete the .bak extension; it should look like [nameofdll].dll after)
  2. Repair File permissions

Method 2

1. Follow the Method 2 steps, but instead of copying extended kernel files, put your backup files back in system32 (or SysWOW64 if you are uninstalling the 32bit extended kernel)
  2. Repair file permissions.

Method 3

1. Alternatively, file replacement can be done using Windows Vista PE.
  2. Boot from CD or USB
  3. Choose your keyboard layout and on the next screen click "Repair my Computer" and choose CMD.
  4. You can use 7-Zip or Notepad's "save as" dialog as GUI
  5. Put your backup files back in system32 (or SysWOW64 if you are uninstalling the 32bit extended kernel)
  6. Repair file permissions

Old versions

version 05142021 (old):

Visit the archived guide https://web.archive.org/web/20211102150247/https://msfn.org/board/topic/183046-guide-vista-extended-kernel-installation/

version 10262021 (old):

Follow the 02042022 guide, but take all the files from vistaexkernsetup_10262021.7z instead.

version 02042022 (old):

https://web.archive.org/web/20220611075156/https://msfn.org/board/topic/183046-guide-vista-extended-kernel-installation/

version 06102022 (old):

Before installation copy your original kernel32.dll located in %systemroot%\syswow64, rename it to kernelol.dll and put the renamed copy in syswow64

version 07252022 (old):

Follow the current guide, but take all the files from vistaexkernsetup_07252022.7z instead.

version 10192022 (old):

https://web.archive.org/web/20230405065824/https://msfn.org/board/topic/183046-guide-vista-extended-kernel-installation/

Edited by TSNH

i will write this in random order so prepare yourself

1 hour ago, TSNH said:

Follow the Method 2 steps, but instead of copying extended kernel files, put your backup  files back in system32 (or SysWOW64 if you are uninstalling the 32bit extended kernel)

the dlls are automatically backed up as [nameofdll].dll.bak you just need to delete the new dll and then change the name of the old one (delete the .bak extension; it should look like [nameofdll].dll after)

method 2 can be done from within a win vista/7/8/8.1/10 and maybe even 11 installation environment. you need to boot into a usb drive (or whatever you have) that has windows on it, press next on the first screen and then on the second one press on repair my computer, then on cmd and change the files (you can open notepad if you want a gui and go to "save as" change from .txt files to all files down there and voila you can navigate thru win folders)

1 hour ago, TSNH said:

KB4039648-v2

i don't think you need this one; need to check tho

i installed rootsupd, i recommend you do that too

1 hour ago, TSNH said:

(Optional) You can install some server 2008 updates if you want.

some might actually break everything (at least that happened to me) so i recommend installing just the minimum required 

1 hour ago, TSNH said:

5.       Repair file permissions.

i've actually never done this and i didn't encounter a problem (i've installed vista with ex kernel way too many times) but i agree that it could cause some problems especially if the person that uses the computer doesn't really check whatever they are installing

1 hour ago, TSNH said:

Optional Extended Kernel components

you can add the sidebar fix here: you need to go to C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar and create a "sidebar.exe.local" folder and throw inside ole32.dll that's available inside the mega folder called "sidebar redirection files for 2018+ update user"

this one isn't something optional but rather important: if you're using an ISO from MSDN (like me) you may encounter the error "The ordinal 899 could not be located in the dynamic link library SHELL32.dll" while booting. you need to change the explorer.exe from C:\Windows with the one available inside the mega folder called "replacement explorer". the way you do this is the same i mentioned in the beginning 

mfplat could be on this list (it makes firefox work properly again on youtube) but i recommend making a "firefox.exe.local" folder, placing it in the same folder that has firefox.exe and then copying the dlls from the archive (mfplatsetup.7z) to that folder (you obviously need to merge DLLredirectionenabler.reg if you didn't already; this .reg is needed for the sidebar fix too)

you can install it thru cmd but it will break a lot of windows programs (like wmp, the experience index) and it's needed just for firefox from my experience so it's better just to use the redirection method

1 hour ago, TSNH said:

List of Vista-compatible programs that don’t work with the extended kernel.

this would be more useful if named "List of unsupported programs that work with the extended kernel". i know there is a thread with this topic but i don't think winclient5270 will be editing it soon

Edited by winvispixp

2 hours ago, winvispixp said:

the dlls are automatically backed up as [nameofdll].dll.bak you just need to delete the new dll and then change the name of the old one (delete the .bak extension; it should look like [nameofdll].dll after)

Thanks for info. I actually never got the cmd installer to work. :)

i don't think you need this one; need to check tho

This is one of three SHA-2 updates. I don't think it is needed for the extended kernel itself, but I wanted to avoid situations where SHA-2 is "partially" supported.

some might actually break everything (at least that happened to me) so i recommend installing just the minimum required

Like 4 months ago I installed all the updates till march 2019 or so (I don't remember at this point) and the extended kernel worked. I'll add an appropriate warning anyway.

mfplat

I'm going to add this later. I will have more time next weekend

this would be more useful if named "List of unsupported programs that work with the extended kernel". i know there is a thread with this topic but i don't think winclient5270 will be editing it soon

This section was meant for workarounds for programs like Windows Sidebar or CPU-Z.

i installed rootsupd, i recommend you do that too

For now the Windows's default automatic root certificate updater works fine, so there's no need to install rootsupd yet. I'm not getting any certificate errors in Firefox.

Edited by TSNH

On 10/23/2021 at 4:30 PM, TSNH said:

d3d12.dll - This is DirectX 12 for Windows 7. You can copy it to system32. Does it work? I have no idea. (probably not), but there is no reason not to copy it either

There is a reason not to copy this file. In my case it breaks some apps if they detect you have d3d12 library on your system. for example rivatuner no longer works when you have this file in your system32 folder.

19 minutes ago, Strikker1 said:

Where is link to download latest windows vista extended kernel?

The link is the same as for the previous version.

19 minutes ago, Strikker1 said:

I get an error when trying to install update KB4474419

Do you have all the Vista updates till 2017 + KB4039648-v2,KB4493730 installed?

You can find Vista updates till 2017 here: https://msfn.org/board/topic/181756-windows-vista-update-repository-until-april-2017/

and Server 2008 updates here: https://msfn.org/board/topic/176686-server-2008-updates-on-windows-vista/

Edited by TSNH

41 minutes ago, Strikker1 said:

I get an error when trying to install update KB4474419

The problem seems to be connected directly to the fact that you don't have KB4039648-v2 or KB4493730 installed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/windows-update-sha-1-based-endpoints-discontinued-for-older-windows-devices-10b58bd9-5ba2-b23d-498b-139ce5c709af

Actually solutions on the internet suggest only using some random system scans/troubleshooters.

Try disabling the internet connection

Try clearing the Windows Update cache in %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore.

If it doesn't help I have no other suggestions than to reinstall Windows :(

Edited by TSNH

Running CPU-Z on Windows Vista Extended Kernel:

Normally, if you have the extended kernel installed CPU-Z will stuck on 15% when loading.

I've just found out that to solve this problem you can simply redirect cpuz.exe to a vanilla Vista kernel32.dll

First apply the redirection reg file, then put vanilla vista kernel32.dll in the cpuz.exe.local directory (just like for Windows Sidebar)

Edited by TSNH

On 10/23/2021 at 9:30 PM, TSNH said:

List of Vista-compatible programs that don’t work with the extended kernel

VirtualBox (as Host)

Other posts about VirtualBox problems in older Extended Kernel builds:

https://msfn.org/board/search/?q=VirtualBox&item=181612&type=forums_topic&sortby=newest

Edited by Brickedandroid