Will Windows Vista work on AMD Ryzen 3 3250U?

KetaMnight

2 hours ago, win32 said:

Yes, I did get one digitally signed set working at USB 3 speeds. I don't believe they are posted in the forum however. I will send them if needed.

Would be nice , I'll purchase ryzen or kaby lake board and start testing then. So you're not sure which update ? I can't imagine to install a ton of them, between 2017 and 2019.

52 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I see you're new . Just scroll back the ex-kernel topic back , I think , no I'm pretty sure I was the first one to suggest it . Win32 knows everything about it. Yet there's no news . You want my advice ? Get a good mobo that supports Vista x64 or use 32-bit Vista with your Haswell , like I do. Or you could cut out all possible junk and services (like win defender) from the Vista x64 ISO (before the installation) and do not use any updates , in this case you'll minimize the bug . Who needs the updates anyways , lol ?  If you desperately want the kernel , you only need one update KB4467700 .That's it. Do not install junk named "DX9 redist". Do not install bloatware , like framework or VC redist (use portable). The only framework that is somewhat OK is 4.5.0 or 4.5.2. That's it . Have a nice day/night/whatever.

Actually, I've been here since 2015, but am still sort of new to the advanced Vista/Extended Kernel scene. Luckily I have a good mobo for Windows Vista, a really good mobo in fact (I can score a 5.6 on Vista WEI and a 6.4 on 7 WEI. Never tried 8's WEI). In fact, I am using it right now. It is a Dell Latitude E6530 with Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5 HD 4000 graphics and 16GB of Ram. Have this set up in a UEFI dual-boot with Windows 7 on a 4TB SSD (Previously, not knowing how to get Vista working under UEFI mode was my reason for not using it right away after getting the 4TB).

Hopefully, the Haswell issues can get sorted out in the future. I was shocked out how many of the components inside this Dell Inspiron 3847 still had drivers for Vista (HDD and several others), but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since I cracked open the Intel Graphics Dell hosts on their support page for this model (which are interestingly branded as Intel HD 4000) and it includes entries for some Ivy Bridge models in addition to Haswell, which suggests some variants of this desktop shipped with Ivy Bridge before its discontinuation. Had mine came with that instead of Haswell, it would have been a whole lot easier to get XP/Vista working on it, although I'd have to hunt for the drivers since Dell obviously does not host XP/Vista drivers for the few Ivy Bridge models (and that reason being the fact these machines were quickly fitted with Haswell upon the Ivy Bridge discontinuation in 2015) they may have made (I have theorized that if a graphics driver from the computer manufacturers website contains multiple processor generations, it's because the computer was manufactured with those processors during its lifecycle (for example, the Acer Aspire E1-531 was manufactured with Sandy Bridge and then later Ivy Bridge, although if you look at the graphics Acer has for 8.1, it lists Haswell processors in addition to Ivy Bridge, suggesting a few late models were made with Haswell even though there is no Windows 10 drivers page)).

5 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

Actually, I've been here since 2015, but am still sort of new...

I'm sorry , I didn't notice you earlier , must have been the generic profile name , like Jonny88 , you know. So yeah , you have a Dell mobo , I see . I too like some of Dells , but there's no OC capabilities , sadly. Unfortunately anything below or even Haswell is too weak for my gaming needs , so I'm thinking maybe I need to purchase ryzen or pentium GOLD. 

10 hours ago, Dixel said:

I'm sorry , I didn't notice you earlier , must have been the generic profile name , like Jonny88 , you know. So yeah , you have a Dell mobo , I see . I too like some of Dells , but there's no OC capabilities , sadly. Unfortunately anything below or even Haswell is too weak for my gaming needs , so I'm thinking maybe I need to purchase ryzen or pentium GOLD. 

It's alright. The Dell laptop that I have is insanely fast! It has enough strength to emulate Nintendo GameCube and Nintendo Wii games through Dolphin flawlessly. What was listed on the eBay listing for this laptop was only partially right, and that was the laptop itself and the 320GB HDD. The other stuff it advertised (8GB RAM and Nvidia graphics) was incorrect and I instead got a beast of an Ivy Bridge HD 4000 graphics card and 16GB of RAM. While most instances of the listing being incorrect tends to not be of any benefit to the customer (I.E. They needed what was listed and not what they instead got), in my case, I benefited a whole lot more by getting a really good bang for my buck with this laptop. This and Windows Vista replaced my 2019 Acer Aspire A315-21 as my daily driver OS. Now when I use the latter, I find it is slow, even with a 1TB SSD and 12GB of RAM. Since the former is from 2014 and nearing 10 years, I am likely gonna build a souped up laptop around Christmas/Birthday (about a month out from each other) that can hopefully be just as powerful as this Dell (like have RAM higher than 16GB),

As for Haswell, I do have a really good Dell Inspiron 3847 with it. Only has 8GB RAM compared to the laptop's 16GB's, but regardless, it still runs GameCube/Wii games flawlessly in Dolphin when coupled with 8.1 or 10 (7 works but its Bluetooth stack has issues with the Wii Remotes that were only resolved in 8 and later). So, my two powerful computers happen to be Dell's with Intel Ivy Bridge/Haswell, which are literally one generation and year apart (laptop in 2014 and desktop in 2015).

EDIT: All the laptop's/desktop's I own can be seen in my signature.

Edited by Jakob99

2 hours ago, win32 said:

I think these are the ones.

Yeah , that's what I thought . I didn't get them to work , though. Perhaps they are only meant to work on Kaby Lake with more expensive chipsets ? I tried on haswell B85 , Q87 and the cheapest H110 Kaby lake chipset . On haswell I don't see USB or any other similar devices that could be used in device manager at all. I see junk like ME "PCI simple controller' . On H110 chipset, USB controller with yellow exclamation mark is visible , it installs fine , then it says I need to restart , then error code : 31.

Do I have to install anything else ? When do i have to install HC switch from the package ? The instructions are very unclear , like the author was not sure himself . Also , there are two inf files . usbxhci.inf and uaspstor . Do I need them both ?

Could you please give us clear instructions ?

2 hours ago, Jakob99 said:

like have RAM higher than 16GB

With what I use (map editors , strategy gaming , hooking , browsers modding) , it needs low latency RAM , like CL7 and 1866MHZ , expensive RAM . I bought several sticks in 2013 and they still run fine with only 1.42V . Yeah , I know , very good chips. I game on Haswell and the whole platform seems very slow to me . The amount of RAM won't help. Besides , I can't use more than 3.8GB , because I'm on a 32-bit Vista. The other PC with Quad Xeon (for the internet usage) is able to use 32GB , but this amount is an overkill for my needs. So I decided to install 16GB. 

22 minutes ago, Dixel said:

With what I use (map editors , strategy gaming , hooking , browsers modding) , it needs low latency RAM , like CL7 and 1866MHZ , expensive RAM . I bought several sticks in 2013 and they still run fine with only 1.42V . Yeah , I know , very good chips. I game on Haswell and the whole platform seems very slow to me . The amount of RAM won't help. Besides , I can't use more than 3.8GB , because I'm on a 32-bit Vista. The other PC with Quad Xeon (for the internet usage) is able to use 32GB , but this amount is an overkill for my needs. So I decided to install 16GB. 

Ah, ok. While I don't use much resource intensive stuff, I do have a few Steam games as well as Dolphin that are, so having RAM 8GB or higher is a must. Games like Bloons TD runs fine with 8GB while something like Dolphin requires more than that for most games to run smoothly. Now let's get this topic back on track before we derail it completely.

On 10/20/2021 at 5:16 AM, Dixel said:

Are those the ones ? Perhaps I aready obtained them earlier...

cert.png

USB 3.0.png

Here are official MSI 6.0-signed AMD USB3 drivers. https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GX60-1AC.html#down-driver&Win7 64

Choose 'driver\Win7 64\VGA\ATI Richland VGA'

Unfortunately they are from 2012 so i would be quite surprised if they work on modern hardware.

Edited by TSNH

On 10/20/2021 at 2:43 PM, Dixel said:

Yeah , that's what I thought . I didn't get them to work , though. Perhaps they are only meant to work on Kaby Lake with more expensive chipsets ? I tried on haswell B85 , Q87 and the cheapest H110 Kaby lake chipset . On haswell I don't see USB or any other similar devices that could be used in device manager at all. I see junk like ME "PCI simple controller' . On H110 chipset, USB controller with yellow exclamation mark is visible , it installs fine , then it says I need to restart , then error code : 31.

Do I have to install anything else ? When do i have to install HC switch from the package ? The instructions are very unclear , like the author was not sure himself . Also , there are two inf files . usbxhci.inf and uaspstor . Do I need them both ?

Could you please give us clear instructions ?

I installed these drivers on a terrible HP laptop. Not much information provided by HP on it.

Also, I just recalled that there was another set of unsigned generic USB 3 drivers that also worked.

@win32 and the others , thank you all , no , nothing of these worked . If you're curious , I found drivers from 2018 made by (I don't know actually, lol , no info in the readme) , but not on this forum . I'm not sure about posting links , but the readme inside the package says :

"...drivers for Hudson-3/Bolton/Avalon/KernCZ family chipsets  Version 1.1.0.0276    Release date 12/04/2018" . These are the only ones that worked on Q87 and B85 . I still need to try on H110 chipset , though. I do not have anything else to test on. I think the problems with win32's drivers are 1st - they don't have my device in their inf , they do not even have Vista 6.0 section , also they are meant for 3.0 , while my device is 3.1 . Win32 , I guess you added your device into the inf ?

So , with the ones I found , I get 3.1 speeds , I have an external enclosure with 3.1 abilities and the speeds are just awesome ! Way more than 150mbps.

Win32 , I can share via PM , if needed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 10:48 PM, win32 said:

I installed these drivers on a terrible HP laptop. Not much information provided by HP on it.

Also, I just recalled that there was another set of unsigned generic USB 3 drivers that also worked.

Ever tried to vlite them into Vista ISO ? I shall soon have another motherboard for the tests with USB3.0 only , so I'm interested if those will work during the installation.