(Solved) Can't upgrade from 1909 to a newer version

bookie32

Hi guys!

Have a customer that had a warning come up about her Windows 10 version being old....I took over her computer and saw that 20H2 was ready for installation , so I started the process and told my customer to keep an eye on it and report to me if any errors came up...

She didn't get any errors and came to me to update the bios on the machine....

I saw that 1909 was still installed and this warning was on windows update:

important security and quality-related updates are missing for your device

The problem is a search didn't give any updates or a sign of a failed 20H2 update?!

I then tried to update it from a USB I created and it gets to:

we can not determine if the computer is ready to continue installing Windows 10

I did a check and several have had such problems but the solutions suggested didn't work..

I checked the system with sfx /scannow and used dism to check version health etc....no problems at all...

I have tried resetting Windows SoftwareDistribution but that doesn't help either....

My problem is....the customer has several book keeping programs installed and reinstalling is a lot of work and I would like to avoid that...

Has anyone any suggestions?

This is a Windws 10 Pro 1909 version

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

This might sound stupid but is machine part of any domain? Does it use custom WSUS server? Check group policy

Second did you try upgrade older Windows 10 build from USB? I think you need to 2004 first and then can go 20h2.

I rarely upgrade Windows 10 outside domain, but issue is usually too old build and need update manually until get new enough.

Hi guys!:D

I have solved this issue without having to do a recovery....

Firstly...I swore some time ago I would never let Microsoft support in another customer computer....- but I was a little desperate for answers....

I will add it was a waste of time and he came up with what others have said a partial recovery- but I wasn't having any of that and thanked him and went back to the drawing board...

I tried once more with the following:

sfc /scannow
dism /online /cleanup-image /scannhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorhealth

Had no errors and rebooted - but the same problem remained....couldn't find any upgrade on window update...

I did one final check...

I right clicked on drive to do disk-cleanup and then cleanup-system files...

When I looked in the list there was old image files....I removed them and cleaned up windows update directory and rebooted...

I clicked on Windows update and this time 20H2 came up and has installed with all updates....no sign of 21H1 but that isn't a problem

Now it could be that the customer missed an error on upgrading and it caused the problem because there were already system problems...no point in speculating now...it works!

I am not sure this will help any others in the same boat....just wanted to say it is solved.

bookie32

11 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

This might sound stupid but is machine part of any domain? Does it use custom WSUS server? Check group policy

Second did you try upgrade older Windows 10 build from USB? I think you need to 2004 first and then can go 20h2.

I rarely upgrade Windows 10 outside domain, but issue is usually too old build and need update manually until get new enough.

Sorry was just posting the result when you posted!

Thanks for coming by!

bookie32

• bookie32 changed the title to (Solved) Can't upgrade from 1909 to a newer version
11 hours ago, bookie32 said:
sfc /scannow
dism /online /cleanup-image /scannhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorhealth

DISM should be run before SFC since DISM checks component store and SFC checks if files from component store are linked to their usual places.

Edited by UCyborg

It was late when I was typing this, but chances are that in case of system files corruption you'd need an installation image (install.wim) from installation ISO with the same updates integrated as the target system. I doubt Windows Update has most system files (by default without specifying anything extra besides /RestoreHealth DISM is only supposed to use Windows Update as repair source).

I imagine most problems that occur in the wild probably have nothing to do with corrupted system files, so they're more PITA to diagnose.