StartAllBack for Windows 11

Tihiy

StartAllBack 3.6.1

- Alphabet markers for All Programs list (if apps and folders are sorted together)

- Flicker-free explorer address bar

- Fixed uneven borders on 125/150% scaling

- Fixed some rounding errors in taskbar search box

- Fixed text invisible on property sheet tabs

- Fixed some theme overrides applied to non-aero.msstyles

- Fixed pin/unpin icons mixed up in themed jumplist

Edited by Tihiy

2 hours ago, ender` said:

There's something wrong with All Programs icons in 3.6.1:

High contrast. Try that: https://www.startisback.com/StartAllBack_setup.exe

2 hours ago, Tusticles said:

As you can see in the video, after closing the "Select User or Group" window, the "Advanced Security Settings" window restarts with white theme.

Yes, it's in elevated dllhost now

On the image I posted you can see on the left side a window opened by an application when trying to upload a file (in my case I've used Google Chrome but this happens with any app), while on the right a regular File Explorer window directly opened from the desktop. As you can see, any change from StartAllBack is not in effect in the former case, which would normally not be a particularly huge issue, but it is in my case as I'm using StartAllBack to circumvent a bug I'm experiencing with windows search since the 22H2 update.

I was wondering if it would be at all possible for StartAllBack changes to apply to any file explorer window, and not just those specifically created from the desktop app. Thanks in advance for any insight you'll provide.

StartALLBack.png

On 2/14/2023 at 12:05 AM, Tihiy said:

- Alphabet markers for All Programs list (if apps and folders are sorted together)

Not a big fan of this change. Can you add some option to disable it, or make the feature itself a separate option?

Speaking of Start Menu, there are also 2 small problems I noticed, both of which are related to custom Start Menu with "All Programs" section set as default:

1. The previous section navigation button ("Back") always remains present, even though no program would ever show up in there, as recently used apps are disabled (which is required in order to enable "All Programs" section open by default).

2. Hitting ESC while searching will discard output, but open the empty default section instead of "All Programs" one.

1 hour ago, barchee said:

Not a big fan of this change. Can you add some option to disable it, or make the feature itself a separate option?

Eventually it would be either Win7 or Win10/11 look, don't see the need to invent something in the middle. Would you show your All Programs looking after and before?

6 hours ago, Tihiy said:

Eventually it would be either Win7 or Win10/11 look, don't see the need to invent something in the middle. Would you show your All Programs looking after and before?

Sure:

tbcmp.thumb.png.13fd084f94edb3dec1deadc0a1c3b4a0.png

The problem is not even the presence of letters themselves but the additional height they take to be displayed, i.e. on a comparison above removing them adds room for 5 more items per screen!

On 2/13/2023 at 10:05 PM, Tihiy said:

Any chance of having this work like the Win10/11 alphabet markers (if you click one, you get a list of all markers, to quickly jump to the letter)?

Another thing: in high contrast mode, the selected option button in Settings is not distinguishable from background on selected row:
image.thumb.png.e0984379ab7b152d05683a97169cd0a2.png

Just a thought, maybe you will look into it sometime. I prefer windows and menus without round corners. I managed to make them sharp but startallback is interfering with menus, for example classic desktop context menu is still rounded.

Edited by acky